The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Ebay Christmas challenge continuing into the new year!

(475 Posts)
Tortoise Mon 10-Dec-12 21:44:51

Last thread full so starting new one.
Still time to make a few quid before Christmas.
Could be good for those unwanted presents after Christmas! grin

lljkk Wed 24-Apr-13 18:53:32

It is possible to send a duplicate invoice, but not very obvious how. I think Seller goes to their "Sold" group of items and it's one of the pull down options on far right, something like "Send payment details."

If you haven't received the first invoice i wonder if there is something wrong with your email address in Ebay records, especially given the other problems you're having.

roosterroo Fri 26-Apr-13 17:20:42

sounds like things are picking up. Wish i hadnt biined the last nerf gun - only so msny rimes u can stand shreeking not near the face grin

Tortoise Fri 26-Apr-13 18:21:22

Nerf guns sell really well, especially the bigger ones.

lljkk Sat 27-Apr-13 17:03:32

I think things are still quiet, interesting thread here.

Looking ahead, I reckon next FLW will be the 2 bank holiday weekends in May. What do you all think will happen?

PurpleFrog Sat 27-Apr-13 20:15:52

Thanks lljkk - that IS interesting. I haven't read the whole thread but enough to think that we are not imagining things! It is rather worrying if listings are not showing up. I must admit I was surprised a fortnight ago when I listed 7 items on Saturday and I had had no views at all by Sunday morning.

I haven't listed anything yet this weekend. I was going to have a cull of my items and sort out stuff for the Charity Shop but in light of that thread I think I'll just go ahead and re-list everything, and not reduce starting prices at all. I'll do the re-lists tonight for 10 days, and just hope for the best. Things will have to get sorted eventually.

I am free tomorrow, so hope to get some more stuff on.

Yes - I expect the May Bank holidays will be long FLWs.

Tortoise Sun 28-Apr-13 23:12:20

Listed a few bits plus re-listed unsold items. Dropped a few prices by 50p!

PurpleFrog Mon 29-Apr-13 12:13:17

I didn't get anything new on yesterday - so am pinning my hopes on a Bank Holiday FLW. I just can't seem to get motivated at the moment...

PurpleFrog Sat 04-May-13 19:25:55

Well - I guess we were wrong - it doesn't look like a FLW! sad

Oh, well! It gives me more time to look out some more stuff.

lljkk Sat 04-May-13 19:26:55

I am well peeved about it, too, but makes good opportunity to do some BINs.

PurpleFrog Thu 09-May-13 09:22:48

FLW this coming weekend. Info here.

I sold absolutely nothing the last 2 FLWs, so hope to get a few new things listed this weekend. dd has had a bit of a wardrobe clearout so I have some summer things to list.

PurpleFrog Thu 09-May-13 09:27:28

Oops - the link above links to an April FLW, but it was mentioned at the end of the Weekly Deals email I got this morning. I guess they just gave the wrong link!

FLW are still no good for me until I up my DSR 's
I am currently trying to raise money for my holidays and am putting stuff up over the weekend to finish monday tueday and wednesday. Costing a fortune pls if anything sells can I have /get good feedback and stars smile
any advice welcomed ....putting the postage at an average £4.00 except for anything that will go as a large letter.
my stuff

fergoose Thu 09-May-13 18:14:46

Snowball if you post items with My Hermes you can send for £3.30 - I think your postage costs are too high tbh.

Can you drop items off with my hermes ?
I really dont make money on the postage .
1st class recorded for a small parcel is 4.10.
2.20 for a large letter.
and 4.00 for collect plus drop at shop up to 2kg ? i think.

thank you for having a look fergoose smile

fergoose Thu 09-May-13 21:38:38

yes you can drop off, or they collect - can leave in safe place. I find them cheaper & better than RM.

Tortoise Sat 11-May-13 09:12:07

I've got a few bits to list but not much, rest is all relists that have been on multiple times! Things are slowly going but might reduce some prices even more.

Pile of clothes to list on business account too. Been a bit slack lately and not listed much. Too much stuff is not selling and I'm not sure what to do with it.

lljkk Sat 11-May-13 12:37:43

I would not worry about recorded delivery for items under £10 in value. And I think you'll find that if you offer both 1st & second that virtually everyone will choose to have second class. Bottom line is other sellers fine ways to undercut your postage.

It's very strange, I just can't fathom it, but nothing I've posted for a value under £10 has ever gone missing. Just like nothing sent to me ever goes missing. But stuff I send with value over £20 goes missing quite often if not sent recorded. I can't imagine why... hmm angry

Tortoise Sun 12-May-13 22:56:41

Right, here are todays listings and relists.

I'm really hoping DDs bed sells this time! It ended Saturday with 5 watchers. Its already back up to 5 watchers! Just need one to bid. It's taking over the upstairs bathroom lol!

Glad to see you still plodding on Tortoise.
I did a car boot this weekend and it was a bit depressing to be honest.

I have sold three things, I have a few watchers on my rainbow uniform and a pair of karen millen shoes. I know that i should have put them on for longer but here could really do with a few quid before weekend (holiday payment due )
Fingers crossed.

PurpleFrog Mon 13-May-13 15:14:29

I re-listed 10 items, with some price modifications, and managed to get 5 new items on yesterday. I still can't whip up much enthusiasm.

I really need to get on with my major de-cluttering in the next few weeks, but think I'll be a bit more choosy about what I try on ebay. I have a pile of books that will be going to the charity shop - I have checked completed items listings and they are just not worth eBaying. They are mainly ones from my early teenage years that dd has decided she doesn't want to read, so has turfed off her shelves. It is amazing how badly paperbacks and cheap hardbacks from the 70s have lasted - most of them have brown borders to the pages etc.. I did think it was because my parents smoked, but I notice that quality hardbacks from the same era or earlier are in pretty good condition.

I know purplefrog books are getting hard to sell.
I had a box full on the car boot and they barely got a look.

PurpleFrog Mon 13-May-13 16:03:14

I have done really well with younger kids' books at NCT sales in the past, but very few of my books for older kids went at the one I did last October. I did sell 3 or 4 bundles of kids' paperbacks on eBay before Christmas, but they were in very good condition and by popular authors.

I have a few "as new" paperbacks which dd has decided she doesn't want to read that I will keep until autumn then eBay.

Tortoise Tue 14-May-13 21:14:59

I've just listed some board books in small bundles all starting at 99p!
Postage is tricky though. Might fit large letter slot but could be too heavy!

PurpleFrog Thu 16-May-13 12:05:15

I am feeling a bit more positive this week - one of my reduced-price re-lists has a bid, and another has had quite a lot of views and a watcher after I did some online research and revised the title to include the model number of the item. The rest of my re-lists are still being overlooked, but my 5 new listings are getting a lot more views. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now