This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Newbie: How is best to calculate p&p costs....

(8 Posts)
seeker Sun 09-Dec-12 07:50:33

Whatever you do, don't guess- you can lose all your profit really quickly that wqy!

Use your kitchen scales, the Royal Mail site and add a bit. Don't forget to weigh the packaging as well.

houseforawinelover Sun 09-Dec-12 07:47:19

Great tips, thanks!!

sarahtigh Sat 08-Dec-12 15:41:32

weigh them

all small light clothes under 750g will cost 2.20 second class

between 750-1000 will cost £3.50

over 1 -2 kg is either 5.30 standard parcels or £4 with collect plus

2-6kg a courier like collect plus etc will always be cheaper unless going to northern ireland scottish islands etc

as above for clothes a simple waterproof mailing bag is all that is required, cost about 10p on ebay you could use an ordinary coloured plastic bag a thicker style bin bag used to wrap but must be waterproof not paper

it is very very hard to justify more than 20-30p extra for packaging costs when mailing clothes

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Dec-12 13:00:25

For big stuff - like the coat - save cardboard boxes from copier paper, Amazon, groceries etc and use a courier.

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Dec-12 12:58:58

It's worth buying a selection of plastic mailing bags (from eBay) and using them, add 10-20 p to p+p costs.

vintageviolets Sat 08-Dec-12 12:50:52

I guessed £4.75 for 1 pair of size 6 Converse.
I was charged £4.60 at the post office.

houseforawinelover Sat 08-Dec-12 12:48:06

Nevermind. Post office website. Sorted smile

houseforawinelover Sat 08-Dec-12 10:10:36

when selling clothes?

I am a complete newbie to selling (not buying) on Ebay. I have loads of clothes, from a big winter coat to small tops, that I plan to sell. However aside from taking the items down to the post office I'm not sure how best way to give accurate costings of the p&p for the individual items.

Thanks in advance Ebay gurus grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now