This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

If you buy used clothes, do you expect them to smell clean as well as be clean?

(32 Posts)
amck5700 Fri 30-Nov-12 11:36:53

I have been selling a lot of my sons' used clothes/jackets. They are all washed before sending but due to my husbands allegies, we don't use fabric softener and have unscented washing powder - hence the laundry smells of nothing unless i can get it out to dry, then it smells of "outside".

However, every used item i buy always smells strongly of fabric softner or washing powder - my nose is probably hyper sensitive to it though. It just got me wondering if people think my items aren't washed.

I have always had positive feedback, but have quite a few items where I have no feedback at all. I wondered whether i should incuded a note in the listing or in with the item to explain or whether that makes it sound like I am making up an excuse to cover up the fact the they weren't washed (which they were) iyswim.

HipHopToDude Fri 30-Nov-12 17:53:54

I would LOVE to buy from you OP. the worst thing about buying clothes on eBay is they smell absolutely rank. Can't believe people actually like overly scented washing powder and conditioner. Sometimes they even spray with fe breeze confused

lljkk Fri 30-Nov-12 18:31:59

I prefer no odour to strong perfume/detergent, too.

clippityclop Fri 30-Nov-12 18:35:45

I buy clothes occasionally on Ebay, and the first thing I do after opening the parcel is stick them in the wash anyway!

amck5700 Fri 30-Nov-12 18:36:39

HipHop I don't have much listed at the moment but my ebay id is the same as my ID here if you want a look smile

ChippingInLovesAutumn Fri 30-Nov-12 18:43:40

Laurie - I'm tempted to buy something just for the woodsmoke smell grin

I always sit near the open fire at our local and hope that my coat ends up smelling all wintery and lovely.

OP if I were you I'd just put that in your ads. If I bought clothes on eBay, which I don't, I'd wash them all thoroughly myself anyway - I like a mild freshly washed scent, but neutral/nothingish is far better than strongly scented.

I buy lots of DD's clothes on ebay and about 30% smell so strongly of "cleaning product" that I suspect they have been sprayed with something after being washed and I find this quite off-putting. It pretty much all goes in the wash before going on DD. I would much prefer things to come not smelling of scented washing products.

SailorVie Sat 01-Dec-12 23:33:45

I wish the clothes I bought on eBay smelt of laundry detergent. More often than not they smell of Eau de Charity shop... So the first thing that happens is it gets all chucked into the machine to be washed,

Sometimes I sell stuff which has been stored in our loft, and we have to use mothballs as otherwise it would all get eaten up as we get annual moth infestations. I could understand how some people hate that but I fail to see how to avoid that - we have no outside space to hang things outside to air.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now