The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Christmas Challenge! £300.00 by Christmas.

(1000 Posts)
BenedictsCumberbitch Sun 26-Aug-12 16:51:07

I'm getting back into my eBaying, massive clear outs will keep me busy over this free listings weekend, wondered if anyone wanted to join me in making Christmas as cheap as possible and having the good people of eBay pay for most of it!

dizzyday07 Sun 18-Nov-12 20:36:49

I stuck a couple of random BIN's on last night and already had a buyer! It was a suit DH brought back from India that DD has never worn

my other listings

Dingle Sun 18-Nov-12 21:32:49

Just listed another 24 items, but all low price starters. DVDs, a few kiddies coats that didn't sell last time, and some Wii games. I'm not sure if I have priced right or not, put the Wii games on for £2.hmm

I am only at about £30-£40 after fees/postage but it's all money and decluttering. wink

Well done ladies, thank you for the motivation! x

TeWiDoesTheHulaInHawaii Sun 18-Nov-12 21:59:58

new listings fairly random bunch, lots of beads, pictures etc. It's officially the last of my eBay box. Not too sure any of it will sell! Really need to go through toys for next weekend but it's tough finding the time!

We're at £232.55 Very pleased.

(Also I may have bought something off one of you - 'tis very handy getting first look at toys for the DC through everyone listings!)

amck5700 Sun 18-Nov-12 22:17:59

Managed to get 27 things listed - mostly BIN - sold 2 already grin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/amck5700/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3686

Still have loads more stuff to list but got too tired and gave up.

It's a lot of work - some of the jackets still need washed even though I photographed and listed them, so they can't all go too soon!!

If I sell all this lot plus the two that have already gone - then that should be around the 200 mark with fees to come off.

Hope we all manage to get some rewards for this weekends hard work!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 18-Nov-12 22:53:28

Well I've managed to get another few things on but am having technical problems now with ebays servers being too busy!!!

Tortoise Sun 18-Nov-12 22:57:23

I've sold 3 items on BIN already smile.
Lots more listed, some re-lists too. Most importantly for DD1, i listed her zhu zhu pets bundle and a huge littlest pet shop bundle and her Baby Annabell doll.

I've got piles of stuff everywhere and no where to store it!
As well as my boxes of stuff for business account!

lljkk Mon 19-Nov-12 08:13:25

Good News, everybody. smile Next 3-4 weeks should be busiest of the year on Ebay (hopefully!!).

LineRunner Mon 19-Nov-12 08:28:35

My worry is people buying something on the 19th or 20th December and saying, 'Can I have it in time for Christmas?' Isn't the post really crap at Christmas?

PurpleFrog Mon 19-Nov-12 09:40:43

I managed to list 21 items over the weekend - and only 7 were relists! I have a mixture of auctions and BINs, some with the Best Offer option attached. I have already sold one of my BINs and have an offer on my salopettes. smile I think I'll wait until after tonight to see if I get any other offers before I accept/decline as it is a fairly reasonable offer.

I have had reasonable success with 30-day BINs in the past, but sometimes people look at the newly listed items, and those that are going to finish, so your items can sometimes get lost in the wilderness for a couple of weeks in the middle....

lljkk Mon 19-Nov-12 09:44:28

That's without severe snow disrupting things, too, Linerunner, adding weeks to delivery times, like snow did in 2010. Recommended last 2012 posting dates for:

Special Delivery: 21 or 22nd Dec.
1st class: 20th Dec
2nd class: 18th Dec
Europe Union Airmail: 10 or 12 Dec.

I guess we'd better start putting disclaimers in our listings to say we can't guarantee delivery by any certain date. In past years I've tried to end all auctions for Christmas type items by 10 December.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 19-Nov-12 09:48:57

I'M only planning on listing for the next couple of weeks.

That should give 3 weeks before Christmas, with a bit of breathing space for slow payers!

My iPad app has gone strange though! Last night I kept getting messages saying that their servers were busy, now there doesn't seem to be a list new item option!

Tortoise Mon 19-Nov-12 14:27:49

Sold another item on BIN. I'm liking the BIN listings grin

PurpleFrog Mon 19-Nov-12 14:38:55

I like the BIN listings too! If only I had had a few weeks warning I could have listed some of my large items which still need a bit of work to get ready for selling! I am hoping that this is going to happen more regularly....

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 19-Nov-12 14:55:53

I've never tried BIN, how does it work? Do you pay extra to list it that way? How have you decided your BIN prices - what you'd like or what similar things have gone for?

Sorry for all of the questions!

Any chance of another FLW next week do you think?

PurpleFrog Mon 19-Nov-12 15:51:41

You do pay extra for BIN only - listing fee is a flat 40p for most categories, 20p for media-related ones - which is why it was such a bonus when they announced that the last FLW covered BINs!

I usually list a BIN price somewhere about 2/3 of the way up the range of prices that similar things have gone for, but sometimes I list at the upper end of what I would like and allow buyers to make a "Best Offer".

If you list for 10 or 30 days you can easily drop your price after a few days if your item is not getting many views.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 19-Nov-12 15:57:01

Thanks. Definitely worth thinking about.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Mon 19-Nov-12 18:00:21

I love the Fixed price listings. 40p is far cheaper than a higher start price at auction. However, I have been caught out with the photos a couple of times. They were something like 40p per photo after the first free one.

5 of my DS' items have sold and he's made £100 in just over 24 hours! Every time I looked at my emails yesterday there was another saying 'your eBay item sold!'!! All paid for and posted today. Just need to get rid of the Wii and DSi and we'll be sorted grin.

We also have a PS2 with lots of accessories that needs to be listed but I'm not sure it'll make much money so I'm in no rush to list it.

I'm off on my holidays on Wednesday so will miss out on a week of Christmas selling but will hopefully come home nice and rested and ready to list loads for a couple of weeks!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Mon 19-Nov-12 18:05:39

Crumbs! As I was typing my last post, someone has bought another item!

amck5700 Mon 19-Nov-12 22:45:16

Jeez, I have 9 watchers on 1 BIN item. Why doesn't one of them just fecking buy it!!!

grin

lljkk Tue 20-Nov-12 10:55:27

Some watchers are just seeing what price you get, if it's worth the bother for them to try to list their own.

Others are waiting to see if an auction comes up cheaper.

Others, Gawd knows. I had 70 watchers on 2 items and only ONE bid on one of the items.

amck5700 Tue 20-Nov-12 11:25:47

Well lljkk someone must have been listening cos it sold early this morning - and then someone else sent a message 20 minutes later asking if it was still available! Quite chuffed as I originally bought the jacket on ebay for my son who wore it for a couple of years and I've now sold it for more than I paid - it was a cracking North Face jacket - and I think they still got a good deal too! - now we just need a threat of snow to shift the rest of my items smile

PurpleFrog Tue 20-Nov-12 12:05:28

amck5700 - I wonder if it was the same person who bought my salopettes at 5.55am this morning! grin

I was a bit despondant last night because I didn't get a flurry of interest in anything... in fact I even lost a watcher on one item! But, by the time I got into work at 8.35am this morning I had sold 2 items and have a very promising query about buying a third!

amck5700 Tue 20-Nov-12 12:42:09

ooh i wonder! Jacket was age 10-12 and red and grey - would that match wink

PurpleFrog Tue 20-Nov-12 13:42:39

Nah - navy and age 8! wink

amck5700 Tue 20-Nov-12 22:29:46

I've now sold 6 fixed price items and have bids on 3 of my auctions smile

£94 on those 6 items! Total sales now up to £454 - hoping to have a cost free Christmas this year!

This thread is not accepting new messages.