Is this money mine?

(3 Posts)
Fleminggot Fri 28-Feb-14 21:26:00

Split with ex a year ago. Divorce proceedings not started as yet as having problems with him.

Anyway since being on my own I've spent very little money as I don't do much. Ive also sold some of my things on eBay etc. I've managed to save about £3000. I am hoping that I can use this for divorce and towards when my house sells and I get the equity, the £3k can be used for stamp duty, solicitors etc, but I wondered if this is classed as my money or 'our money'

Cabrinha Sat 01-Mar-14 23:53:17

Even after divorce, until the financials are agreed, you can't be 100% sure that it is your money. When a Consent Order is done, it is done based on the money at current time, not at point of divorce.
I believe you can get a financial agreement before the divorce though.
You need a solicitor or at least CAB though, I'm no expert!

There are no absolute rules in divorce finances - you have every right to argue "excluding £3K cos it was saved after split from my personal affects" - but he can refuse to accept that. If I were him and the higher earner and wanting to be difficult, I would say that you only had stuff to sell cos I bankrolled you! (not saying that's the case for you!)

Use some of the £3K to speak to a solicitor, get financial agreement before the divorce if that's favourable to you, and at least you know whether you need to hide that money away somewhere!

worridmum Sat 15-Mar-14 20:05:56

cabrinha you know your advise about hiding money is VERY VERY bad advice my friend tried to hide £30,000 from he soon to be Ex husband but didnt hide it well enough and not only did she get a much much less favabour settlement (was going to get 60% of assits + £30k she had tried to hide so was milking him for every penny) judge took a very very dim view and basically awarded 50% of assists minus the pension she wanted and she had to divide the money she tried to hide

I dont know if it was just the judge being harsh in punishing her as it was on the verge of argeeing the settlement of 60% in her favour til the judge got wind of the hiding of assits

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now