Trying to make a claim on ExH's money?

(9 Posts)
ilikecooking Fri 16-Aug-13 19:01:57

Never posted in this part before so apologies if this is incorrect & if so, can it be moved to the right place please?

I'm asking for a friend as I genuinely don't know the answer...

She divorced him after 7 years of marriage. This has come through but now he has inherited a 6 figure sum. She wants to know...can she try & put in a claim for it now that everything has been settled & agreed?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

minibmw2010 Fri 16-Aug-13 22:03:45

Did he know about this possible inheritance when their divorce was being finalised?

LondonJax Fri 16-Aug-13 22:17:17

In theory she could, I think. I was told, when I divorced, that it was best to get a clean break order otherwise my ex husband could claim on me or my estate if he hadn't had a claim dismissed in the past or he hadn't remarried. That applied even if I remarried and could impact on my new husband and any kids we had because my ex could claim on my estate if I died - he wouldn't get a lot but I didn't want him having anything obviously. So I got a clean break which he agreed to. That means neither of us can claim anything from the other from the date of the divorce. If your friend didn't have a clean break and she's not remarried or had a claim dismissed it'd be worth asking a solicitor (worth doing anyway as I'm only going by what I was told 10 plus years ago and I'm not legally trained)

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 17-Aug-13 08:03:48

Has she got a financial consent order? I was advised if you have a financial consent order you can not go back for more, if you haven't then yes you can.
Could be very costly though.

kilmuir Sat 17-Aug-13 08:11:47

goodness, why does she think she is 'entitled' to inheritance? greedy

TheFallenNinja Sat 17-Aug-13 08:20:06

How long ago was their settlement finalised?

ilikecooking Sat 17-Aug-13 08:29:38

minibmw yes I think from what she said, he did know it was due.

LondonJax Thankyou - I will ask her about the clean break. Thankyou.

cat Crikey, I hav eno idea - I will ask her, thankyou.

kilmuir She doesn't think she is. She was asking me if I knew, that's all. I said I would try & find out, that's all.

Ninja I think it was around Christmas '12 so about 9 mths ago.

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 17-Aug-13 10:51:23

I hope not, that's grabby and unfair.

ilikecooking Sun 18-Aug-13 16:02:43

Having spoken with her today, she worked 74 hours a week with just 4 weeks holiday a year to support him while he was unemployed for 2 years...that's why she was wondering.

It was a very nasty break-up. He then left her for her brother's girlfriend. sad It's ruined all the family dynamics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now