decree absolute

(4 Posts)
Wikivorce Wed 22-May-13 16:29:56

"There are no finances to sort out".

There may be no money or property to divide but from a legal point of view there is still something to sort out.

Even divorcing couples with no great financial ties or divorcing couples who separated some years ago and think that they have already divided everything up and are independent...these couples should still get a Consent Order.

Without one you leave yourself open to financial claims in the future.

You both have rights to claim on each others pensions, property, income, inheritances etc.

Its far better to sort this all out in a simple Consent Order at the time of divorce than leave it til years later when it can be messy especially if you have new partners/spouses.

lovelytoes Tue 14-May-13 22:36:33

There are no finances to sort out.it has been pretty straightforward we have been seperated 3 years.the court clerk said solicitors usually wait a few days after the date just to make sure the form doesnt get sent back as even applying the day before could was too early.i just wondered if this was normal.

iheartdusty Tue 14-May-13 22:15:55

have the finances been sorted yet?

it is best practice to wait until all financial matters are tied up by a final order before DA.

lovelytoes Tue 14-May-13 20:23:45

My decree absolute could be applied for on 8th may by my stbexh solicitor.i rang the courts today 14th may and they said it has not been applied for yet.is it normal for solicitor not to apply straight away.how long do they usually take? I cant understand why they would stall as stbexh is on legal aid and would have thought they would want it done asap so they could get paid.anyone have any answers please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now