A stay at the ritz

(17 Posts)
bessyboop Sun 09-Feb-14 17:12:45

Dp's 30th is coming up soon, and am thinking of booking two nights @ the ritz, London. Apart from the dining, afternoon tea, drinking champers etc, do you have any suggestions on any other activities we can do while we are there? What's nearby? I want it to be special for him. Any suggestions please? Thank you x

I'd stay at the W personally. Age may be VIP or location?

Thames via boat

Barbacoa at St. Paul's or gaucho at regent st. (Steaks at best)

Burlington arcade

New bond st

London eye

Plan your meals and the rest falls into place

Oh brunch at Wolsey is marvellous

Sanderson hotel cocktails? At 30 frankly would he prefer clubbing? I might even say stay at cheaper place and blow more cash out tbh

bessyboop Sun 09-Feb-14 19:16:15

Thanks for the suggestions. Tbh he doesn't do the clubbing thing. We have young childeren, and this will be a wkend away, just the both of us. A bit of a pamper, fine dining and a relaxing stay hopefully. But want to do a couple of other things while we are there, but don't know what. It will be the first time in London for me. Thames via boat seems appealing, I'll look into it.

Ah ok. You want views and nice things. Yes check out boat up Thames. Could have lunch at canary wharf? Not bad shopping too. Come back in, London eye, gaucho at Boris bollock over looking tower bridge/tower of London.

Wolsey for brunch, I'd do tea at ritz but not nec stay. Champers in Harvey nicks. Or if you prefer outdoors I'd go to London bridge and mooch round food markets and eat at roast in the market. Or just venison wraps and a beer. Good deli there and nice walk along embankment up to London eye.

There's a hilton hotel with skybar by Westminster. Try that.

tribpot Sun 09-Feb-14 20:02:12

The Thames RIB experience is a fantastic river trip, well worth it and something special.

bessyboop Mon 10-Feb-14 13:20:02

Wow, just had a look on the Thames Experience - going to book our tickets today, looks great, thank you!

And thanks Minnie for all your ideas, will certainly have a fab time smile Love the idea of going around the food markets, right down our street.

tribpot Mon 10-Feb-14 13:27:12

It's lots of fun - I've done both the longer and shorter trips, the first on a blazing hot day last July and the second on a bloody freezing day in early January smile My ds (aged 8) absolutely loves it and it's a really fun way to see London. Plus: James Bond music. What is not to like. If you tell them either in advance or on the day that it's your DH's birthday they'll play him a special song as well.

bessyboop Mon 10-Feb-14 21:52:34

Looks fab, I've emailed them to see what's possible for us. Will certainly tell them that it's his birthday. Just want to plan as much as I can beforehand, I really want him to have a memorable 30th! smile
Will dine at the ritz on forst night, but may book somewhere else for the second night...

noramum Fri 14-Feb-14 09:51:35

How about going up the Shard for a view above London? It may depend on the weathers, I wouldn't do it if the forecast says grey and rainy.

bessyboop Fri 14-Feb-14 12:30:48

Thank you, will have a look online now smile

EasterHoliday Fri 14-Feb-14 12:35:51

is he a bit of a gent? one of my favourite London walks is straight out of your door at the Ritz... St James' just reeks of history; Clarence House / the gentlemens' clubs like Whites etc / Corney and Barrow cellars (if he's into wine) / Locks Hatters/ the pharmacy / Paxton & Whitfield cheese shop on Jermyn St haven't changed a jot since Beau Brummell was patronising them. P&W use the same wooden chopping block as a counter, and you have to duck down going in. ADORE. Opposite there on Jermyn St is Trumper's where you can get him a voucher for a shave and hot towels (is ultra traditional - you can get the same in a much funkier environment elsehwere in Mayfair, think it's called the Refinery? men's spa). All the cigar shops, shoe makers etc - Jermyn Street is very Y chromosome!

bessyboop Fri 14-Feb-14 12:39:55

Wow, thanks, yes he's certainly into his wine. Will have to do that walk with him, sounds great.

bessyboop Thu 20-Feb-14 23:26:28

Soooo, I've booked two nights at the Ritz, a massage for DP after we arrive. I have no plan of action for the first night, as we will have travelled far to get there. But have made sure that there will be a bottle of champers in our room on arrival. Do I book to see a musical maybe? Or just have a walk, or a meal somewhere?
On the second day - booked a table at the wosleys for brunch, then the Thames RIB experience in the afternoon, and a meal at Gaucho that night.
Third day - breakfast at the ritz, and travel home.

Any ideas for the first night? Was tempted to book the Live at the Ritz (three course meal and jazz) but don't think the music/dancing would appeal to DP ...

I just want him to have an unforgettable birthday celebration. If anybody has more ideas, please throw them my way smile

bessyboop Fri 21-Feb-14 09:44:55

Anybody had dinner on the Thames, one of these dinner cruises? Don't want to waste my money if it isn't great. Also we'll be seeing the sights on the speedboat cruise. Just a bit stuck on what to do the first night...

SoldeInvierno Sun 09-Mar-14 09:25:52

Is he into theatre, musicals, comedy? I went to see the book of mormons recently and it was good. But there are 1000's of options. Have a look in London TimeOut

EdithWeston Sun 09-Mar-14 09:31:10

Plan for after arrival: walk up Piccadilly towards Hyde Park (not actually the greatest London walk, even if you go along Green Park), but it brings you out near the Hilton, which has a top floor bar with amazing views with a sundowner. (Eye-watering prices too, but if we're in a Ritzy budget, then I'm assuming doable).

There should be time to taken a show as well - see what's on at Royal Court (Sloane Square) as well as West End. But if too tired, just dinner and enjoy the room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now