Trip to London and Legoland help please

(9 Posts)
Southwest70 Thu 02-Jan-14 23:43:33

Hi we are travelling from Ireland early June and our plan was to stay in Wndsor for 3 nights. The afternoon we arrive - we are hoping to see Windsor castle and Windsor itself. Day 2 we were hoping to get the train into London for the day from Windsor (hoping to book a reasonable B&B in Windsor for 2 nights and LL hotel on night 3) We have 2 kids 8 and 5 so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated for things to do in London in a day. Day 3 do Legoland and the day we fly back do Legoland for half day and get taxi to Heathrow from Legoland. Does this make sense or is there a better or smarter way for us to spend our 3 days and is staying in Windsor a good choice to do Legoland and London. Really appreciate your advice and help. Thanks in advance.

MillyMollyMama Fri 03-Jan-14 01:16:11

Legoland is not worth a second day in my opinion. If you start early you will see/do enough in one day. They may have a free offer for the 2nd day though. Last time I went I thought it was unbelievably expensive. You may get a better deal buying tickets in advance. Definitely check this.

You cannot do better in London than go to the Tower of London. The Yeoman of the Guard do a great talk, but it is a bit bloodthirsty. You will also see Tower Bridge. Go back on a Thames River boat to Westminster and then maybe go on the Eye on the South Bank after you cross over Westminster Bridge. You will see Big Ben too. Lots of restaurants on the South Bank near the Royal Festival Hall. Or you could book to go up The Shard. With a 5 year old I would avoid too much walking. If you are up for it, a show is a wonderful experience. There is nothing better than Matilda or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for families. You will need to book in advance though. You could also go to Coventry Garden as it is near the theatres for dining and al fresco entertainment. I would try and see sights in a relatively close area or ones that can be linked by the river. I would also avoid Cathedrals with children and the National Gallery. Some places are grossly overrated so avoid Madam Tusaudes (may have misspelt this!) and Buckingham Palace is nothing to look at for children. If you do not want to go to Legoland again, I would walk over the Thames from Windsor and have a look around Eton. Alternatively, go on a boat trip from Windsor. Whatever you decide to do, have a lovely time.

MillyMollyMama Fri 03-Jan-14 01:19:53

Hi. I also meant to say you could be really rushing to do Windsor Castle the same afternoon as you arrive. Can you get a morning flight, leave your bags at the place you are staying, and then go to the Castle? It is big! There is lots to see.

oadcb Sun 12-Jan-14 22:15:57

Just bumping as we are going the same.

HRHQueenMe Tue 14-Jan-14 10:16:45

The travel lodge in central windsor is perfect for everything but books out quick. You are 2 mins from the windsor central station, 5 mins walk to the castle and you are right on the pedestrian street for shops and restaurants. There is a great theatre 8 mins walk away and (theatre royal windsor) and a shuttlebus for Legoland too. You cant go wrong!!!

There os a great thread further down with all your legoland tips!!!

sweetheart Tue 14-Jan-14 10:23:53

If you are going to London with the kids and want to see as much as possible I think a tour bus would be ideal for you. like here

That way you can hop on and off at the attractions you want to see and the kids won't be too tired from walking all round the place.

There are websites that give you all the details of times and dates for changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace and also one which tells you when tower bridge goes up.

sweetheart Tue 14-Jan-14 10:24:19

Ohhh I think you can also apply to lock up the tower of London with the beefeaters....

sweetheart Tue 14-Jan-14 10:24:52
Southwest70 Thu 23-Jan-14 22:07:47

thanks for all the help and tips really appreciate it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now