Done the Natural Hiistory Museum, what next?

(17 Posts)
Blu Sun 20-Oct-13 16:40:37

Museum of London
Museum of London in Docklands (if you are a Londoner - I wouldn't be trekking off to Hornimann or even Docklands if I was coming into London for a day trip)

Try The Unicorn Theatre, by London Bridge - a dedicated children's theatre, shows cheaper than the commercial West End shows.

noramum Fri 18-Oct-13 12:10:18

The back packs from the V & A are great if your children are into history and cultures. We had two so far and spend 1-1 1/2 hrs with each.

The museum of London is also great, all free and they do activities during half term and on weekends.

BaconAndAvocado Fri 18-Oct-13 11:25:52

Ooh fame at last!

RachelCMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Oct-13 17:17:32

Hi BaconAndAvacado and other prepared posters,

Bravo from MNHQ for getting organised in advance of half term. Some great tips here for getting the most out of these places; we were wondering if any of you would like to review them for us?

If you don't mind, we'd love it if you'd go here and click the 'add a review' button.

thanks very much.

Sparklysilversequins Tue 15-Oct-13 23:36:42

Transport Museum in Convent Garden. Both my dc love it, we've been to them all and that's the one they always ask for.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 15-Oct-13 23:31:38

The Horniman museum is particularly good for kids - especially if they're interested in music, has the most fantastic collection of instruments. Its a bit of a train ride out from central London.

If the weather is nice, Kew Gardens are good for all ages.

ElliesWellies Tue 15-Oct-13 23:26:21

The V&A do activity trails for kids - they are in backpacks that you carry round with you.

NO, V&A caff not very kid friendly. But you could always do both and have lunch in the picnic bit at the Science Museum, then head to the V&A in the afternoon when the Science Museum is bonkers (I do love it, but it's too busy).

Also what about the British Museum. It is just amazing and very child friendly (can have a fantastic run around in the big atrium). It's near the the UCL zoology museum too (go out back door of British Museum onto Montgomery St, it's just a few mins away).

elastamum Tue 08-Oct-13 21:25:37

Science museum is FAB! used to go there a lot when my DC were that age. The basement is full of stuff for kids and there is a picnic place inside if you want to take your own lunch. Go early if you can - enjoy!

KateCroydon Tue 08-Oct-13 21:22:20

Fair enough Bacon.

BaconAndAvocado Tue 08-Oct-13 20:14:24

Have just had a gander at this kate and the jar of moles made me feel very nauseous....I am a wimp and very squeamish hmm

My elders DS loves the Hunterian museum but he is a Biology geek and it definitely definitely would give me nightmares too!

KateCroydon Tue 08-Oct-13 18:56:34

It is tiny, but this place is AMAZING. Full of strange things: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/museums/zoology

The jar of moles is worth the visit alone.

Steer clear of the Hunterian Musem though. It gave me nightmares and I'm all grown up.

BaconAndAvocado Tue 08-Oct-13 18:51:52

Sounds brilliant!

Anywhere nice to,have lunch around there. A friend said the V and A cafe is lush but is it kid friendly?

Mine are much older now so I don't know about activities and things specifically aimed at children at the V&A. However, mine have always loved it - you don't need specific kid stuff when you can see (a) the biggest oriental carpet in the world, (b) a giant model of a man being eaten by a tiger, (c) the front of an entire house, inside the museum and (b) collections of biscuit tins, locks, iron gates, tiny jade figures and all manner of other weird and wonderful stuff! If you go, explore those obscure galleries upstairs - they're so great.

BaconAndAvocado Tue 08-Oct-13 17:07:27

The V and A sounds good, is there anything for kids there?

EdithWeston Tue 08-Oct-13 14:52:51

Yes, it would be brilliant, but it can get very crowded - go early if you want to try the Launch Pad (the hands on bit). The history of medicine and the flight gallery are both good, and tend to be less busy.

If it's too busy for your comfort level, it's right opposite the V&A which is also great and usually not as crowded.

BaconAndAvocado Tue 08-Oct-13 12:05:11

Planning a day out on London with DCs age 5 and 7.

On a budget so nothing too pricey.

Would the Science Museum be any good for this age range?

Tia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now