outing in London for 7 and 8 year olds

(22 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

RonaEp Mon 19-Aug-13 18:17:33

We have promised an outing in London to celebrate our granddaughter's 7th birthday one Saturday in October. We know she's like to see the show Matilda which everyone says is lovely, but the tickets at £36 each mean that the family group would cost £180 which is too much. What advice and suggestions can parents and grandparents offer us about a good day out in London which the 7 year old birthday girl and her 8 year old sister plus a big cousin of 19, their mum and 2 grand-parents would all enjoy?
Thanks very much for your advice and suggestions.

Fluffy1234 Thu 22-Aug-13 16:11:33

Do you think she would enjoy London Zoo and some time in Regents Park and a nice meal/afternoon tea?

BellaVida Thu 22-Aug-13 16:24:14

What about the Natural History or Science museum (both free entry), followed by a nice lunch somewhere? The Rainforest Cafe near Picadilly Circues is good fun or even a birthday picnic in one of the parks if the weather is nice.

clottedcreamteaplease Thu 22-Aug-13 20:38:41

Buckingham palace tour, Diana Memorial Gardens, Duck Tour, Trafalgar Square with National Gallery thrown in

RonaEp Tue 27-Aug-13 11:28:43

Thanks for all these suggestions
Thank you Fluffy, BellaVida and clottedcreamtea, what nice names, all 3!
What is the 'Duck Tour'?

Mumzy Tue 03-Sep-13 08:55:37

A trip down the river on the Thames clipper taking in the Westminster, Tower bridge, the Tower of London, O2. Get off at Greenwich for some fun fashion shopping and pick up a picnic at M&S or if at weekend in Greenwich market and head towards the park. Finish of with a guided tour of the stars in he planetarium.

Mumzy Tue 03-Sep-13 08:57:35

Or visit the fantastic restored cutty sark and afternoon tea

www.londonducktours.co.uk is the website of the Duck Tour.

serin Thu 05-Sep-13 11:54:24

Only go on the duck tour if you don't mind swimming!

The one in Liverpool sank recently shock

I would do as Mumzy suggests and maybe chuck in the London Eye if you haven't done that? I have a half price voucher for 4 that I won't be using, if you PM me I will post it on.

iwantavuvezela Thu 05-Sep-13 12:05:34

Rona, which station are you coming in to - there are loads of "other" theatres that do productions, and you can usually get a family ticket to these for around £30 (2 adults, 2 children). There is the Angel Theatre in Islington; Albany Theatre (near New Cross station) to name just two theatres. They usually do fabulous shows which the whole family could enjoy.

You could do something like the Childrens Museum (Bethnal Green)which is interesting for all ages, and usually has activites on, Jeffrye museum near by there as well. This is also then near Hoxton for browsing, having coffees and lunch. Liverpool station not to far away.

I can second Greenwich as another area - Maritime Museum is great fun with the other stuff that has been suggested, and you can take a boat road as well from there.

Southbank is one of my favourite parts of London. And then as Serin says you have the London Eye; the Southbank often has great children and adult productions on; not sure if the "Disappearing Rooms" (fountain of water) is still on but that is fun; theres a free Beano exhibition on as well. Plenty of places to eat along the southbank, and if weather not good you could go to the Tate.

serin Thu 05-Sep-13 12:49:14

There's an outdoor place park on the Southbank too!

RonaEp Thu 05-Sep-13 21:57:05

thank you all very much, this is much appreciated and valued
we will study all these ideas and make a plan
Many many thanks

iwantavuvezela Fri 06-Sep-13 14:45:13

lastly you can also look at Time Out (you can go online,) which will also show you what is happening; what galleries etc are open; if free or not .... there is also a Time Out for Children in London option as well

Hope you have a good day

WafflyVersatile Fri 06-Sep-13 14:48:25

Also the Polka Dot Theatre in Wimbledon.

WafflyVersatile Fri 06-Sep-13 14:49:59

The imperial war museum has a horrible histories spies exhibition.

RonaEp Mon 09-Sep-13 14:10:13

thanks again everyone!

becscertainstar Mon 09-Sep-13 14:32:40

DS (age 7) loves the British Museum. If you go to the information desk you can pick up a free activity backpack (you just leave some ID as a deposit - drivers licence or something) and bring the backpack done when you've finished. They're great, really brought the museum to life.

Definitely look at non-west end theatres - check Time Out for what's going to be on when you're around.

Also check the weather forecast and if it's going to be okay, take a picnic to the edge of Regents Park that borders the zoo, then you can eat your lunch while watching the animals without paying zoo entrance if cost is going to be an issue.

DS also loves Tate Modern, the Natural History Museum (arrive as doors open and enter through the side entrance rather than the big main door to avoid the queue), and the Science Museum - all free. He's also quite partial to a wander through Selfridges especially the food hall. And would you believe they've already got their Christmas Shop in full swing...

IsabellaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Sep-13 15:04:46

If you're looking for things to do, try our Local sites by browsing our map here: local.mumsnet.com/find-a-local-site

You'll also find listings for shops, services, attractions and more.

We also have Sites of the Week articles written by our expert Local Editors with their recommendations as fellow Mumsnetters. Have a look here www.mumsnet.com/mnlocal/site-of-the-week-index

And you can join in or have a look at the Local discussions in the Talk section of each Local site.

ParksnPicnics Thu 12-Sep-13 13:19:25

Love London Zoo, I always think that is a great place to take children and my niece and nephew love it there but I'd probably stick to the museums if the weather is bad. I think the zoo will be quite expensive as well for two children and four adults (if I've read that right) although there are a few discount offers on this site here http://www.daytripfinder.co.uk/attractions/zsl-london-zoo

Agree with becsertainstar that a picnic in the park is a good idea if the weather is fine but it might all be a bit damp in October.

Actually just looking at some of the sights in London and then stopping for hot chocolate and cake can be nice, you don't necessarily need to pay to go into places, seeing the landmarks and riding the bus is a fun day too!

BushCricket Thu 12-Sep-13 13:30:57

I second the Southbank. Maybe get off at Charing Cross and see Trafalgar square, then walk down to the Strand and Embankment underground station - across Hungerford Bridge to the Southbank. Look if there is anything on for children at the Southbank. Then the London Eye is nearby, similarly waterloo if you want to get to the Imperial War museum from there... There is also a lovely little garden upstairs near the Hayward gallery if the weather is good.
The tate modern and other museums are pretty amazing too...

Jellybeanz1 Sat 21-Sep-13 23:13:20

We regularly do the Science museum (hands on launch pad experiments) something for everyone, the Natural History Museum (moving dinosaurs)Both Free - take packed lunch you can eat in lots of places inside but I usually do in their cafés so I can have a coffee. Sometimes we walk across the road and picnic in the courtyard of the V and A. (In summer they have pop up outdoors café and the kids paddle in the fountain and shallow lake.) This is all next to the huge park (Princess Diana Park) with café toilets - with the best climbing frame in the world - large wooden pirate ship /sand pit / tepees etc in it so that's worth it. All free. My children love Covent garden for unique market stalls and fun shops. You can watch the street performers you can also walk to the National Gallery from there and they have art trolleys and special activities for kids. The British Museum is good if studying specific area eg romans they can follow various trail sheets. The Egyptians should blow their minds - cafes are nice but pricey. They have a good family room where you can use a locker (returnable £1) eat packed lunch anywhere away from exhibits and pick up coffees from main area.
Hope that helps.

BlackMogul Sat 21-Sep-13 23:44:11

Definitely the science museum but it will be crowded. What about the Tower of London? . Beefeater talk gory but good. It's a shame about Matilda. It is superb as is the new Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. Do all the adults have to go? Live theatre is the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now