Staffordshire/Debery shire borders - Days Out Ideas

(11 Posts)
reallybusymummy Tue 09-Jul-13 11:49:42

Hello, we are taking a short break on the Staffordshire/Derbyshire border this summer and would welcome days out recommendations that are family friendly (youngest aged 5, older aged 14). Many thanks :-)

Ponders Tue 09-Jul-13 11:59:03

whereabouts? it's quite a long border!

Rosliston Forestry Centre in the National Forest is just S of Burton - they have lots of activities & events

serin Wed 10-Jul-13 22:03:20

Conkers here

NigellaEllaElla Wed 10-Jul-13 22:08:48

We love Roslston and Conkers. Both fab suggestions. Rosliston have little events on throughout school hols for just small additional fees of a couple of pound. They have a full diary on their website. If I remember rightly there is quite a bit of archery this year.

Will watch this with interest.

bearleftmonkeyright Wed 10-Jul-13 22:09:17

Alton Towers, Ashbourne is gateway to Peak District, Sudbury Hall and Museum of Childhood has a great outdoor play area which you can access for free. I am a permanent fixture there in Summer hols.

adeucalione Wed 10-Jul-13 22:11:47

Not sure how close to the Staffs border our favourite places in Derbyshire are Chatsworth House, Hardwick Hall, National Trust's Museum of Childhood, Eyam (plague village) and Dovedale.

Laquila Wed 10-Jul-13 22:14:22

I LOVE the Museum of Childhood. Days out in the market towns of Leek, Ashbourne and Buxton could be nice. Tittesworth Reservoir, near Leek, has a great children's play area and a nice caff - the walk all the way round is about 6/7 miles-ish. Blackbrook Zoological Park, also nearish Leek, is apparently great fun.

bearleftmonkeyright Wed 10-Jul-13 22:15:54

Also Carsington Water near Ashbourne. Park, water sports, shops bike hire and walks.

bearleftmonkeyright Wed 10-Jul-13 22:18:50

The Victorian classroom in the museum of childhood is fun, the volunteers are excellent. The bedrooms on the ceiling exhibit is my favorite bit.

reallybusymummy Sat 21-Sep-13 19:52:26

Brilliant everyone thank you! We did Sudbury, Hardwick Hall, Ashbourne, Belper Soft Play (cultural highlight!), Keddelstone Hall, Crown Derby China Factory Tour and the Leicester Space Centre xx

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 29-Sep-13 10:55:11

Wow, sounds like you had a great time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now