Daytrip to London Alone

(18 Posts)
SheepAreSuper Fri 31-May-13 15:38:14

I've got a day in London alone tomorrow...apart from the matinee performance of Les Mis I haven't now got anything planned. I have about 3 hours in the morning and the same again in the evening.

So...WWYD?

Southeastdweller Fri 31-May-13 18:07:34

I would get to Borough Market early and then wander down the South Bank, halfway through stopping at either Leon or Starbucks behind the Tate Modern for more food or drink. I don't imagine the crowds at the Tate being much fun tomorrow.

Hard to say re evening being alone...maybe the cinema? Or a walk round Primrose Hill? Or shopping in town or Westfield, but again nightmare crowds.

Nehru Fri 31-May-13 18:08:43

EVERY EVERY EVERY thread on this someone says Borough bleeding market! grin

its like the Eton Mess of the pudding threads

Nehru Fri 31-May-13 18:08:56

or the " cut and colour" on the " i need an update" thread

Southeastdweller Fri 31-May-13 18:10:52

Pardon me for being so predictable...and your suggestions are...?

Morning - Liberty, the shops around Carnaby Street, pot of Earl Grey at Sacred Cafe. Evening - Prince Charles Cinema, or a nice meal.

Borough Market did little for me tbh but I like the walk from there, all along the river / Southbank, if the weather is nice.

Portrait Gallery? Sir John Soanes? Wallace Collection? Wellcome?

Nehru Fri 31-May-13 18:11:48

im larfing.
I dunno/
whatever

Nehru Fri 31-May-13 18:12:14

id say southbank yes, with walk over from Tate

Or maybe a pootle around regent street and liberty for a nice cup of tea ;)

Or spend an hour or so on Marylebone High Street.

Nehru Fri 31-May-13 18:13:08

reemoid

primark shoes

Nehru Fri 31-May-13 18:14:11

the thread i mean

?

HeadFairy Fri 31-May-13 18:17:26

I could easily waste all six of those hours in Liberty.

Regent's park is looking pretty right now.

I took the kids to the British museum this week and would love to go on my own to actually look at things rather than spend the time pulling them off the precious artifacts they seem to think are there for them to climb on.

ummm.... I'm so frazzled after half term I think I could just as happily sit and gaze in to the middle distance people watch in one of the parks.

Nehru Fri 31-May-13 18:19:33

on style and beautay

specialsubject Sun 02-Jun-13 22:20:04

too late - but for those who don't think shopping is a leisure activity, visit the British Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Museum of London or many others.

or wander Trafalgar Square, the mall and the south bank.

SheepAreSuper Tue 04-Jun-13 21:59:05

Thank you all for your suggestions.

It took me a bit longer than I'd intended to get through and to get a tube ticket so, being a bit of a mountain fanatic, I went to the Everest Exhibition at the Royal Geographical Society in the morning followed by lunch in Wahaca.
After Les Mis, I had a wander through town, through the shops and market in Covent Garden, then people watching in Trafalgar Square.

Looking forward to heading back again soon and checking out some of your suggestions.

JohnnyTroddy Thu 20-Jun-13 12:03:31

I agree Museum of London is really one of the best place to visit in England.. I am just truly admired by the richness of the place.

[[ http://www.highpointetours.com holiday on horseback ]]

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 23-Jun-13 20:25:12

Museum of London one of my absolute favourites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now