Butterfly World St Albans

(9 Posts)
SomeRainbow Fri 29-Mar-13 19:27:00

Any good? Have read many reviews and opinion seems divided. It's only £5 in April - is it really not worth that?

fuckwittery Fri 29-Mar-13 19:28:23

We loved it but wouldn't go on a cold day

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 29-Mar-13 19:29:52

It is lovely, but not for a cold day.

SomeRainbow Sat 30-Mar-13 08:19:44

Thanks. Presumably you feel the stuff outside is quite exposed so not good in the cold??

fuckwittery Sat 30-Mar-13 10:04:46

There's not enough inside stuff to keep you busy, and yes it is an exposed site. Brrrr.

juneau Sat 30-Mar-13 10:06:00

Agreed - it's lovely on a hot summer's day, but until they build the bio-dome (which was supposed to have been built years ago), it's not an all-weather destination.

Dancergirl Sat 30-Mar-13 18:25:39

Thought it was a bit over rated tbh.

mamij Tue 09-Apr-13 14:40:33

Went with DDs last year and agree it's overrated.

From memory, there were only two butterfly houses as the biodome hadn't been built yet. It was quite windy outside, so after we had finished, there wasn't much else to do. Although they did have an "education" room, for story telling, drawing and seeing caterpillars in their cocoons.

mumlawyer83 Wed 03-Jul-13 19:38:12

It cost us (a family of three) £22 in May. There was an ant farm and a small greenhouse-esque thing with butterflies in. There were some ornamental gardens (like the ones in Holland Park that are free), a giant sculpture of an ant and a climbing frame.

It is the kind of day out that you'd have if you have a specific interest in ants (not sure the butterfly enclosure would satisfy or educate a butterfly enthusiast). It is a pleasant place for a wander in the sunshine, but I'm not sure that when money is tight this venue is worth it. I can't say I'd recommend it to another family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now