The LEGOLAND 2013 Thread Top tips and recommendations

(317 Posts)
NoRoomForMeInMyBed Fri 15-Mar-13 15:31:21

To update from last years great threadlink to the 2012 thread

The park reopens today!!! I cant go until in a few weeks time , so if you have been, please update with this years new attractions and fun!! (Overexcited mummy here....)

bonzoed Tue 02-Apr-13 15:47:18

I've seen recommendations to go on the Hill Train first of all whilst others say not to - why is this?

I've also seen recommendations to do the Boating School before Atlantis. Is there any reason for this?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 02-Apr-13 16:54:40

Boating school queue was our longest even when the park was very quiet - it moves very slowly too as there's a maximum of 3 in a boat. We walked straight onto Atlantis every time - each sub takes about 10 people so I should imagine any queue there would move pretty fast.

The Hill Train is nothing to write home about - it's very easy to walk down the hill when you arrive - the kids love the slides too and it brings you to all of the models which are fab. We used the train to take us up at the end of day 2 but only because it was there and no-one else was waiting, we wouldn't have queued for it.

monstermissy Tue 02-Apr-13 17:16:06

Iwishiwasmoreorganised it's great to read your posts. I'm taking my three Thursday/Friday this week. It's a big deal for me almost a three hour drive and two night hotel stay all on my own! We are staying in the same hotel as you. I've never taken them away alone before so I'm bricking it to be honest. I have a sat nav tho and have been reading up so I'm hoping it will be fine. Bit concerned about the times waiting for rides but am taking some paperwork to confirm ds2s autism so hoping we can use the exits for the busier rides. I'm excited but nervous, we have never been. Is it worth buying the car park tickets online and printing them out?

TwuntingCrow Tue 02-Apr-13 17:22:26

Missy I took ds with ASD last year - we got an exit pass no problem - take an official doc - DLA or the like and go straight to guest services on arrival - they were brilliant with my ds smile

PoppyWearer Tue 02-Apr-13 17:39:21

I found last year with my DD that even on dry days, waterproofs (especially trousers) are useful. Many of the rides get splashed etc, and she got really grotty when she had a wet bottom. We actually bought the v.expensive waterproofs from the Duplo shop, but they were worth it as it stopped her moaning and we have used them loads!

My favourite places to eat are the buffet ones. Yes, expensive but instant food for the DCs.

PoppyWearer Tue 02-Apr-13 17:41:27

My DD is 4yo with little legs, so we always use the hill train or she gets too tired.

monstermissy Tue 02-Apr-13 17:48:55

ahh good to hear thankyou, i did try to phone today just to clarify it but couldnt get through. Good to know its not a complicated issue i dont want to have a big discussion about him in front of him iyswim. smile

cece Tue 02-Apr-13 17:49:52

Was it busy today? I'm thinking of going late this week.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 02-Apr-13 19:14:14

Missy your trip sounds like a similar adventure to ours but I only had 2dc to factor in!

The hotel was great, our room for 3 had 2 double beds not a double and 2 singles like we've had when DH has been with us so if there are any potential issues over that it might be worth sowing the seeds of where everyone will be sleeping prior to arriving! Check in on arrival at the (very small) desk, the code isn't recognised by the check in machines. Also pay for parking when you check in. It's £5 for 24 hours that way instead of £10. There is a number plate recognition camera at the exit so no need to remember any tickets. I booked a table for dinner in the restaurant when we checked in which was handy. check the amount of towels in your room when you get there - we were a set short but they brought them to us very quickly after I rang down to reception. Have you spotted on the hotel information / website (sorry can't remember which) that the postcode for sat nav is slightly different to their actual post code? Worth getting it in your machine before leaving home to keep things running smoothly!

Re: Legoland parking I just paid each day at the entrance booths but the barriers were open each day as we left so I probably could have got away without (but I wasn't brave enough to try!). I assume that won't be the case if the park is busier. If buying online is an option then it's probably worth doing for one less thing to do when you're there.

Guest services is just on the right after you go through the turnstiles - it sounds like they will be very helpful for helping with ride arrangements for you but do remember to take some official documentation. If any of your 3 are near the cut off heights for the rides (1.3m to ride without an adult for lots of them) it can be handy to get an official measurement there too (just ask and they take you in to do it).

There are no loos in the restaurants or cafes so make sure you all go before you sit down!

We had planned on taking our waterproof trousers for the water rides - there's no quicker way to feel miserable than by having soggy pants all day - but as it was so cold we all had our ski Salopettes on which did the trick.

I can't think of any other hints, but will check back later incase you've thought of anything else!

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Tue 02-Apr-13 20:05:38

Bonzood the hill train is basically transport to take you down the hill (Legoland is set on a very steep hill with fab views over London and windsor castle) and if youre not keen on walking its great. It becomes a nightmare bottleneck in the mornings and you will waste time queing for it, when its an easy downhill walk with slides and things to see along the way. Def take it backup the hill at the end of the day though! You can bring prams onboard in the middle Yellow carriage.

Kithuru basingstoke is not too bad, just beware the queues to the M4 will be bad so try to satnav your way via ascot. Have fun!!

FairyTrain Tue 02-Apr-13 21:03:55

What a helpful thread! Where is the best place to stay?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 02-Apr-13 21:10:29

Depends on how you rate the best I suppose!

Best in terms of convenience must be the on-site hotel, but that definitely wouldn't be best in terms of value for money (imo).

We stayed at the Heathrow Premier Inn on Bath Road which was about 25 minutes from Legoland. It cost us £130 for a one night stay and 2 days in Legoland for 1 adult and 2 children. That included breakfast for us all and dinner for our 2 dc so was very good value and well worth the drive. The Legoland hotel was going to cost £380 and I don't think that included any meals.

CecyHall Tue 02-Apr-13 21:11:19

We are going in a few weeks, my ds2 will be almost (by 2 days) 2 so I'm not sure there will be much for him?

But if there is, is there places to park the buggy at ride entrances like Disneyland? Should I take a bike lock to lock it if it has to be left?

Thanks!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 02-Apr-13 21:21:12

How tall is he Cecy? If over 90cms then there's plenty for him to go on (accompanied). If not, then you might be struggling especially as lots of Duploland is still closed.

Buggy wise, there are plenty of parking spots and I didn't see any locked up or note any signs indicating that there might be problems.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 02-Apr-13 22:11:11

Just realised he'll be one nearly 2, not 2 nearly 3 so is unlikely to be 90cms tall. Sorry, ignore my last post!

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Tue 02-Apr-13 22:42:21

cecy buggies are left at the ride entrances, ive never had a problem, just take any valuables with you on the rides ie cameras and phones.

Fairytrain depending on your budget, if you can get a room the Windsor central travellodge is great, convienient and 10 mins from LL. Second choice would be the Windsor Holiday inn on Alma Road. See the post earlier on re accomodation.smile

CecyHall Wed 03-Apr-13 06:48:01

Lovely, thanks, I've clearly been reading too much Disneyland tripadvisor horror stories and started over thinking Legoland!

I don't think he'll be 90cm, we're going to split up so DH takes 6yr old and I take baby so hopefully we can see the sights but we've got 2 days to fill so I'm dreading it a bit!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 03-Apr-13 08:27:05

He'll enjoy things like the puppet show in Duploland, and the pirate show. I expect you'll have a great time!

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Wed 03-Apr-13 10:32:00

CecyHall, Legoland is not massive, and there are lots if rides you can do as a family, i m on the mobile but will post a longer reply tonight. 2 days will fly by, you will have a ball!!! There is really no need to split up unless you want a quiet time with baby. I do LL on my own with 3 incl a 9 m old so will weite you an itinirary later!

Rosvita Wed 03-Apr-13 14:22:18

Hi guys.we are planning on going 19th July for my son's birthday as he has a teacher training day.at the moment I have booked premier inn Windsor slough on Booking.com and was planning on paying in pairs so we end up paying for the kids and getting us 2 adults in free.however I'm wondering if a day is going to be long enough?we can book for £160 for 2 days staying at the premier inn at Heathrow for 1 nigh through the Legoland site so pretty much the same price or perhaps a fraction more.what put me off is having to pay for it now in cases the weather is bad on the day or we change out minds.what do you reckon?i've only been once as a child before bit that was a long time ago.cam anyone advise?thanks

Rosvita Wed 03-Apr-13 15:11:30

Meant to say park entry with pay for child and get a free adult offer on Kellog's boxes.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 03-Apr-13 15:23:32

Would you really cancel it if it's for your sons birthday or would you dress appropriately and make the best of it hoping that the weather had put other people off?!

I really enjoyed our 2nd day - having chance to do the bits that we'd not done on day 1 as well as go on our favourites again and again and again! was great, so I'd encourage you to do the 2 day option.

Rosvita Wed 03-Apr-13 20:27:20

Good point Iwishiwasmoreorganised Think I'll wait until the 21st when I can start my next month's spending and go for it and book it!thanks.

Somermummy1 Wed 03-Apr-13 21:51:43

Am going to book this week for end of May half term. But does going to LL potentially in a bank hols weekend sound like recipe for disaster ???

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 03-Apr-13 22:00:34

Sounds like you might be wise to fork out the extra for the QBots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now