Harrogate- cool accommodation and Stuff to do with kids

(9 Posts)
pumpit Sun 03-Mar-13 20:15:18

Hi I am going up to Harrogate March 8th/9th/10th with my 7 yr old ds and would like to find somewhere lovely for us to stay.. Googling doesn't really tell you much; hard to decide between the millions of hotels/b&bs. Can anyone recommend somewhere nice to stay, maybe a farm with animals for my ds to enjoy or a really cute old cottage in countryside or a country house hotel child friendly or maybe somewhere with a indoor pool. I'd just rather not just a regular B&B in town as we want it to be a special weekend. Obviously not too expensive! Quirky and cheap would be good! But could prob manage £70 a night or a bit more if needs be. Also want to know recommendations of stuff to do with him. He loves dinosaurs/science/animals. I love antiques, interiors. It's supposed to be fin for both is us, so a bit of both would be good. Oh and while we're at any gluten free restaurants in Harrogate??

pumpit Sun 03-Mar-13 21:14:03

bump

megandraper Sun 03-Mar-13 21:20:44

Try the Harrogate Brasserie for accommodation - they have a self-catering apartment. It's very central and cool - jazz in the evenings, and nice food.

Gluten-free - Bistrot Pierre is good. Wagamama, Pizza Hut, Zizzi are all reliable. Excellent farm shop/cafe called Fodder near the Yorkshire Showground that has g-f bread for sandwiches and nice g-f cakes.

Things to do - do you have a car?

SarahLundKicksAss Sun 03-Mar-13 21:28:54

Brimham rocks (about ½ an hr drive north of H'gate) is a great afternoon out in good weather. Huge rocks wind blown into weird shapes; great for climbing on. Newby Hall near Ripon is a stately home with great grounds, including an excellent children's play area and a sculpture trail - you might need to check opening dates. no suggestions on restaurants or accommodation, although this B&B on a working farm looks interesting!

pumpit Sun 03-Mar-13 21:30:16

We're coming up on the train, but may consider car hire if we'd be totally stuck without one. We're also going over to Starbeck one day but will be being picked up by someone, so if you know of anything round there to do..

SarahLundKicksAss Sun 03-Mar-13 21:33:15

Starbeck is a suburb of Harrogate, so not a great deal to do there - it's certainly not a "destination" for a day out IYSWIM (waits to be verbally abused by indignant Starbeckians, with lists of exciting activities!)

pumpit Sun 03-Mar-13 21:41:55

Thanks for those suggestions. I've emailed that farm.
Bistrot Pierre looks delish!
Hmm may need to get a car. What r the museums like? Any natural history type ones?

SarahLundKicksAss Mon 04-Mar-13 20:08:33

List of Yorkshire museums here. Not really any natural history ones, but I seem to remember you get to stick your arm up a cow's backside in the James Herriot centre in Thirsk! I would recommend car hire if you can OP, it would be really useful if you decide to go further afield into the Dales or the Moors. York is always go for a day out (park & ride has 4 or 5 out of town points, and a really good, frequent service). The York museum is fab; one of those museums with a bit of everything, and would keep a 7 year old interested for a couple of hours.
Let us know what you decide to do in the end.

TheCyclist Mon 04-Mar-13 23:38:32

If you want quirky, stay in Knaresborough. Absolutely stuffed with quirks, starting with Mother Shipton's cave!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now