Where to eat in South Ken? One adult no kids. Lunchtime.

(11 Posts)

Got an appt up in south Ken this week. Hopefully should finish late lunch time. Bit worried about the appt so I thought I'd reward myself with a lunch and an hour or two in the V&A before coming home.
Is there anywhere that's ok to eat where I won't feel like an idiot for eating by myself? Preferably somewhere that I can take a book with me.

TheWave Sun 03-Mar-13 11:04:20

Jia for dim sum. Mixed reviews online but feels fine for eating alone. Didn't seem unfriendly just not in your face service which is good if you want to be left to read. Went last week for lunch. £2.80 to £3.50 per 3 dumplings or plate of calamari etc. Wouldn't bother with non-dim sum bit of menu.

There's a lovely cafe on the main road by the tube. Muriel's or something. I've eaten alone there a couple of times and wasn't the only one...

Thank you both, either of those sound like a good start. I can peek in the window and see which one appeals smile

Essexgirlupnorth Sun 03-Mar-13 12:57:25

All the museums have cafe too so they may be worth checking out.

Dededum Sun 03-Mar-13 13:02:23

Carluccios by Old Brompton Road - yum, yum and this is south ken, very cosmopolitan, French so nobody really cares whether you are on your own.

MechanicalTheatre Sun 03-Mar-13 13:22:50

Eating on your own at lunchtime anywhere in London is totally normal. You probably see more people eating alone than you do in a group/with another person, so don't worry about that.

The old Michelin building on Fulham Road is beautiful and has a reasonably priced cafe.

Dexidoo Sun 03-Mar-13 13:23:37

I had a lovely lunch at the V&A cafe followed by a couple of hours wandering about a few months ago. I was on my own & enjoyed people watching as much as the exhibits.

It sounds like I have some lovely options smile thank you!

anneriordan Sun 03-Mar-13 22:29:31

Oriel, it's on a side street fairly near the Oratory, on the other side of the road, and it's nice and very solo-friendly. Haven't been there for a couple of years but unless massive re-working has happened, the walk to the lavs is hilariously complicated -friend told me "I promise you will laugh out loud at one point" and I did. Last I went, they didn't mark up the wine very much at all so if you want a glass you will get a nice one for the same price as a less nice one elsewhere.

I'll have to have a look, thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now