Ronnie Scott's club in London

(6 Posts)
mckenzie Sat 17-Nov-12 08:04:06

Has anyone been recently? A friend would like to go there (it's on her bucket list) and i was going to organise it for her birthday treat but I've heard a few negative things about it, albeit from people who went years ago.

Has anyone been recently? TIA

Catrin Sat 17-Nov-12 14:18:16

Went recently for the first time. We went for Sunday lunch, which was nice, though expensive. Music great, good atmosphere. Absolutely packed, so booking needed.

mckenzie Sat 17-Nov-12 15:27:21

thanks very Catrin, I was thinking of a sunday lunchtime. how was the food itself?

Catrin Sat 17-Nov-12 22:50:11

Twas fine, Sunday lunch ish, but bit more exciting. THink they have a menu on the website. Tasted good, but like I say just a bit expensive for what it is was, though is Ronnie's in Soho, so I guess they can charge what they like! ( I did not have the caviar thing though, that was silly expensive!)

Worth going, IMO, especially if your friend has always wanted to. And SUnday lunch seems to be a bit less diehard jazz - friends went a fortnight ago on a Saturday and were a bit freaked out by the music!

Jux Sat 17-Nov-12 23:05:08

I used to go all the time when I lived in London. What negatives had you heard? I'm curious, as I always really enjoyed it. I suppose that was in the days when Ronnie was still alive, you went for the music and food was entirely incidental. Staff were very quiet so as not to spoil the music. Has that changed? It sounds more like a restaurant with music.

I ordered spaghetti once. The waiter asked me if I'd like dead cow in it grin
My beother used to play there regularly too. He came to us for Xmas one year; had been playing at Ronnie's for a couple weeks and was going back on Boxing day for another. We misjudged the sprouts and cooked twice as many as 5 of us needed. My brother ate the whole lot! Ronnie's didn't do anything green.....

NuclearStandoff Fri 23-Nov-12 13:17:47

Haven't been for many many years but I agree with Jux - you go for the music and atmosphere, and not for the food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now