Toddler friendly place for lunch in York?

(14 Posts)
PurpleGentian Fri 09-Nov-12 23:35:25

We're planning a trip to York in the next few weeks.

Does anyone know of any toddler friendly restaurants / cafe's in York? Ideally within easy walking distance of the centre of York? DS will be 15 months and we'll have his pushchair with us.

Thanks smile

brandnewnickname Sat 10-Nov-12 20:03:30

Cafe Concerto.

PurpleGentian Tue 13-Nov-12 19:40:31

Thanks, we'll look into that one smile

pearlgirl Tue 13-Nov-12 19:45:16

The Spurriergate Centre is great with little ones in tow.

PurpleGentian Wed 14-Nov-12 21:05:38

Thanks smile

DH has said that he's keen on going to the train museum on one of the days we'll be in York - is the cafe there any good?

mummatotwo Thu 15-Nov-12 14:00:49

Slug and Lettuce on the bridge - massive place, big tables, great kids menu

Pootles2010 Thu 15-Nov-12 14:02:42

Sorry have to disagree re cafe concerto! It's very nice, and they have high chairs/childrens menu, but no space at all for buggies, and normally a great long queue(on sat at least). Slug is best for space/ease, but not greatest food - Spurrier gate is also very nice as has proper play area, provides childrens bowls etc.

pearlgirl Thu 15-Nov-12 19:41:03

From what I remember the cafe at the train museum was ok but quite pricey. We tend to go to Spurriergate or places that are just on the edge of town - there is a really nice cafe on Gillygate but I can't remember its name - it is double fronted and has a good selection. Our favourite tho is the Pig and Pastry on the Bishopthorpe Rd. I have also taken small children to the Bar Convent cafe which is quite near the station.

madbutnotbad Thu 15-Nov-12 19:45:22

I took my dd's to the railway museum the week before last and we got the road train from the museum into the city center (could have walked but it was a treat for the children) and went to the Slug. As a regular visitor to the railway museum I must admit that we never eat there - the time before last we went my df got dd1 an apple from the museum cafe and was charged £1! shock

dancinginthemoonlight Thu 15-Nov-12 20:07:24

Another vote for the slug and lettuce. Food was great last time I went and there's loads of space

CharlotteBronteSaurus Thu 15-Nov-12 20:08:50

i thought the rail museum cafe was lovely, especially the cakes, although it is £££

CanonFodder Thu 15-Nov-12 20:15:24

Can't believe noone has said Bettys yet! They have a great menu and if you go to little Bettys on Stonegate they are not too fussy about toddler noise etc.

Surrealistrhinoceros Thu 15-Nov-12 20:21:21

Betty's amazingly child friendly if it is within your budget. Our kids love going there as a treat. Go to either but little Betty's has smaller queues.

Cafe on Gillygate is ambience which is conveniently near gorgeous independent toy shops (bubble and squeak). Central library cafe is nice. Spurriergate definitely. DD and I have recently enjoyed the Cocoa house on Blake street if you want tea and cake. Art gallery cafe (exhibition square) you can sit outside, watch fountains, chase pigeons.

Enjoy!

Surrealistrhinoceros Thu 15-Nov-12 20:25:14

Also if you wanted a lovely grown up lunch in a place which is very friendly to children, have a look at Le Langhe on Peasholme Green. It's an Italian shop and restaurant run by a local couple and is amazing - also very child friendly with a garden at the back where over active toddlers can let off steam. Book for pasta etc or just go in for cake and proper italian coffee. They will always do sometjing like plain pasta with butter and cheese, or with homemade pesto, for the kids. It's not cheap but if you are after a really nice lunch it's totally worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now