Science Museum - how busy on last Sunday of half-term?

(11 Posts)
brandnewnickname Tue 23-Oct-12 23:29:31

I recall having seen previous MN threads about the London museums getting horrendously busy at half-term. Would like to visit the Science Museum on 4 November, the last Sunday of half-term. Will we be faced with massive queues to get in? If so, how early would we need to arrive to be near the front of the queue? Or would it be better to actually arrive at lunchtime rather than in the morning? Any advice appreciated, but the one thing we can't do is alter the date of our trip. TIA.

carocaro Wed 24-Oct-12 09:21:19

Get there as early as possible, expect q's, take drinks and snacks. it's busy but not horrendous, I think if you go with the mind set that is will be busy you have a better time and don't get stressed.

Chopstheduck Wed 24-Oct-12 09:21:57

probably rammed, but there is a side entrance on exhibition road, jsut walk up a bit further, and you go in the back way and I've never seen queues there.

41notTrendy Wed 24-Oct-12 09:24:30

Interesting. We're going this Fri as its our half term now confused. I'm now feeling grin as I was resigning myself to a long queue but maybe not. Wonder if our half term is the norm or the exception?

PiedWagtail Wed 24-Oct-12 09:30:59

Agree with the side entrance idea! Also, go to seee the dinosaurs first as they get vv busy laster in the day. the rest of the museum, not so bad imo. Also, take apacked lunch - the queues at lunch can be terrible (unless you eat at 11.30).

brandnewnickname Wed 24-Oct-12 19:57:03

Thanks all. Just to be clear, is the "secret" entrance for the Science Museum or the Natural History Museum, or is there one for both?

Chopstheduck Wed 24-Oct-12 20:00:38

there is one for the back of the history musuem, on the side, and there is one for the back of the science musuem too, you go in where the big escalator starts. I was trying to google to find it, will have another look.

brandnewnickname Wed 24-Oct-12 21:12:16

Thank you!

We're there now, visiting from up north during our half term. We did Nat hist in morning and science museum in afternoon. This was yesterday. Queues fine really. Local schools don't seem to be off yet as saw quite a few school groups visiting.

Sorry that was for 41nottrendy.

41notTrendy Sun 28-Oct-12 20:16:36

Thanks curly. Went on Fri, no queue at all and not too busy inside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now