Am I Being Unreasonable...?

(33 Posts)
twofingerstoGideon Fri 11-Jan-13 17:57:09

We are a two female household - self and teenage DD. I also have a lodger. AIBU in wanting my new - male - lodger to put the toilet seat down after he's used the loo?

I would like to be able to broach the subject with my new lodger in a way that doesn't cause offence, but has the desired result.

In most other respects I'm a laid back landlady, but this is a bit of a deal-breaker for me and it would be a pity if I had to ask him to leave because of this. Any ideas please?

GiveMeSomeSpace Sun 13-Jan-13 22:28:17

1) The are more germs on the average toothbrush than there are on the average loo seat.
2) Germs? There are no germs in urine. It is sterile!

Peterpan101 Mon 14-Jan-13 23:07:13

Sorry about jumping to the end...I may have missed some vital info, but:

Where is it written that 'seat down only' is the default setting for toilets? Hmm??....The Bible....The Bhagavad Gita??

I have the toilet lid down all the time for hygiene and OCD reasons (I read in a Feng Shui book yonks ago that energy gets sucked down when you flush!!)...

But I don't think it unreasonable for you to ask your lodger to do hand stands while he pees either.....it's your house after all!!...be nice.

By the way....ladies can be quite disgusting when they pee as well. A mates wife used to pee up in under the seat when she came to visit...I'd go in after she had been and would be presented with dribbles emptying off into the water when I raised the seat the next time after she left.

Nice!!

complexnumber Fri 18-Jan-13 07:53:41

It's your house, so your rules.

Personally I do not think that you come across as being that laid back.

And I can imagine your lodger closing the door after you have told him to leave shaking his head and thinking "Have I really just been thrown out for not putting the toilet seat down?"

I have NEVER lived in a household where the lid has been put down, and my mother (ex-nurse) was ridiculously fussy when it came to hygiene around the house.

BloodyReallyMadmMolar Sat 26-Jan-13 23:28:43

toilet seat up lmao really???

Daddelion Sun 27-Jan-13 09:42:24

We're a one adult, two children.
Two males, one female.

You're lucky you aren't left wee as a little present on the toilet seat.

I often hear the cries of 'who's weed on the toilet seat again'

And as I clean it usually it isn't me.

Does he hang the toilet paper round the right way?

And men sitting down to urinate is just wrong.
Be a man enjoy your day and spray away, what will be taken away from us next?

It's a clear sign of the decline of masculinity in an increasingly female dominated society. I mean this woman owns her own home. They'll be voting next.

Today it's toilet seats and sitting down to wee, tomorrow it'll be coffee mornings, liking shopping, and talking about our feelings.

I despair.

Branleuse Sun 27-Jan-13 10:00:00

surely you check the toilet before you sit, and adjust the seat accordingly.

As long as theyre not pissing all over the seat and floor and leaing it, then i think yabu

Peterpan101 Mon 28-Jan-13 14:28:38

Daddelion, "does someone need a hug"?

galaxydad Mon 28-Jan-13 15:00:49

"Does he hang the toilet paper round the right way?"

I know this is amazingly trivial, but you do know there is no right way?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now