"Call us now for prices" if I wanted to call you, I wouldn't be looking on-line

(47 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 20-Sep-12 19:05:42

It just annoys me!

Trills Thu 20-Sep-12 19:35:15

Just like when you go online to fill in forms and find out that you need to print them and post them!

I just logged in with my password and PIN. That's much more secure than my signature!

Trills Thu 20-Sep-12 19:52:02

This could be a nice ranty thread in Chat on the general concept of " I am bloody online you idiots", but I fear it might get lost here in Cruises.

KatyMac Thu 20-Sep-12 20:51:48

Sorry

I'm a bit too tidy, I like to use the topics (if possible); I did consider AIBU - but s I knew I wasn't I didn't

Did I spoil the fun?

IamtheZombie Thu 20-Sep-12 20:55:51

Which cruise line, Katy?

KatyMac Thu 20-Sep-12 20:59:20

Cruise first
Cruise.co.uk

All of the buggers!

The Tax Credit Office has lent me some money - so I'm planning how to spend it in the time between them giving it to me and taking it back again wink

Ideally NCL - we went last year & loved, loved loved it; DD danced & danced & danced, DH ate & played games & 'joined in' & I slept!

HecateHarshPants Thu 20-Sep-12 20:59:51

It's really common. Not just cruises, but everything. Kitchens, everything.

It's because they don't want you to look at the price and say nah, no thanks. If they can get hold of you and give you the patter, you're more likely to get swept up in it and buy.

IamtheZombie Thu 20-Sep-12 21:03:29

OK. You're looking at consolidation sites / re-sellers. If NCL is your ideal choice, go direct to their website. They will display their prices and in many cases it's a fallacy that the consolidation sites give a better price than you can get direct from the cruise line.

KatyMac Thu 20-Sep-12 21:10:24

Really?

I thought they were more expensive

<sigh> I don't think we can go.....but I like looking

KatyMac Thu 20-Sep-12 21:18:35

I wish I could go from Luton or Stansted

I wish I was rich

We went on Jade, this is Spirit I wonder if they are very diffferent

Trills Thu 20-Sep-12 21:20:53

I am very much in favour of tidy!

And you are not being in the slightest bit unreasonable grin

Trills Thu 20-Sep-12 21:21:13

Gyms are like this too.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 20-Sep-12 21:24:31

Posting in support of Katie for posting in the right topic.

What narks me most are things like toddler classes which have a website but don't put days/times on their website. If it's not on a Friday I can't do it. Tell me that quickly to save me some time!

IamtheZombie Thu 20-Sep-12 21:24:51

Those sites are saying "Call us now for prices!" because they don't actually have cabins reserved just for them to sell. If they did, they could advertise their price. You call them, they look at the NCL website while you're on the phone to them and tell you what the NCL price is. That will be the case in the vast majority of cases.

Cruise lines have a brochure price. I've never paid the brochure price because they also have "Early booking saver fares", "Latesaver fares" and sorts of other discounted prices. Those are available to everyone - not just travel agents / consolidation sites.

I've been cruising for a good many years. I do look at consolidation sites occasionally just to see which lines may have offers going. I honestly can't think of a single time when I've not got the same price direct from the cruise line.

KatyMac Thu 20-Sep-12 21:27:01

Zombie, would we like any of the other cruise lines - Thomson seems very cheap but I guess it wouldn't be as nice?

KatyMac Thu 20-Sep-12 21:28:15

If you go from Malaga on 28th Dec you pay £200620.00 - apparently grin

IamtheZombie Thu 20-Sep-12 21:36:55

DZH has been on a Thomson cruise (but he's up in the bath at the moment). From what he's said, it's a lot less formal than some other cruise lines. But, isn't it NCL who offer "Freestyle" cruising (which I gather is meant to be less formal anyway)?

Thomson use their own ships. They are much smaller than NCL ships will be. They may not cater as well for children (if that's a consideration for you).

I am old. grin I loathe the large ships - and, yes, I have tried a few. For about 4 years I went exclusively on the QE2 until bastard parent company Carnival decided to flog her off to rot in Dubai. I then tried the QM2. Once. Absolutely soul-less. DZH and I are now firm Fred Olsen / Cruise & Maritime fans.

But, everyone is different. For families, the larger ships are better because they do have the room and facilities to offer children's programmes.

It really depends on what you're looking for.

IamtheZombie Thu 20-Sep-12 21:40:28

Well, break open the piggy bank, Katy. Whatcha waiting for? grin

That's a fly cruise then. I don't do fly cruises. I have done but now can't be doing with the weight restrictions on the flights and the fact that if it's long haul, the flight back totally destroys the warm fuzzy relaxed feeling I had when I got off the ship.

KatyMac Thu 20-Sep-12 21:42:09

Dancing & food basically, music is nice too. Maybe a bit of sport (Tennis, boule, table tennis - old man sport!!)

DD will be 15......

IamtheZombie Thu 20-Sep-12 21:47:07

Dancing as in ballroom or as in closing the disco? I do the latter. (Or I did up until my recent health problems.) Larger ships will have more scope for ballroom. All ships will have some sort of disco.

I've never been disappointed with the food on any ship I've been on.

At 15, DD will be challenging you at the closing the disco dance... grin

IamtheZombie Thu 20-Sep-12 21:48:25

Oh, sorry. More sport facilities on the larger ships but not non existent on the smaller ones.

KatyMac Thu 20-Sep-12 21:50:57

DD will be challenging me with the Ballroom - she is in the national at Blackpool in 6 weeks!!

I think large is better for us then really

Trills Thu 20-Sep-12 21:51:50

Of course, whether it is the right topic or not depends on whether you wanted to talk about cruises or just moan in general about not putting prices/times/info on the interwebs.

If you want to talk about cruises here would you mind if I started the other kind of thread in Chat?

KatyMac Thu 20-Sep-12 21:53:03

Not at all - if you link it I'll post too!!

IamtheZombie Thu 20-Sep-12 21:55:24

Katy, how wonderful! I hope she does well. Blackpool. Wow. She must be very, very good.

Yes, if you want ballroom then large will offer much more scope.

I am in awe of people who can dance properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now