What have you given up only to find you didn't need it anyway?

(58 Posts)
IamMummyhearmeROAR Tue 23-Jul-13 14:36:19

Spending a fiver every weekend on the newspapers. Not really missed any Big News and certainly don't miss the mess as my dh spreads them about the house

Glossy mags- full of ads and the same stories, most with little relevance to my life

Takeaways- cut down from once a month to a couple of times a year. My dh makes a mean curry and a great sweet and sour chicken

Bubbles1066 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:11:00

Oh and buying music from ITunes. I listen to it on YouTube (legally) through Vevo instead for free. The ads don't bother me, you can skip them after 5 seconds.

Bubbles1066 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:07:51

Another vote for newspapers, I read the Guardian and BBC online for free. I also stopped buying drinks when out, took a flask with me instead. Much cheaper.

thursdaysgirls Tue 22-Oct-13 20:40:55

TV - we use the xbox for 4oD, iPlayer, Netflix, Lovefilm - for the kids when I need to clean, cook dinner, want five minutes fucking peace My VM bill was almost £90 a month, now its £21 for internet and landline (studying with Open Uni so need it)

Snazzy contract mobile phone - haven't had one for 2 years, and have had a crap basic phone for 2 years. DH has brought me a Samsung Galaxy Mini 3 on sale for £160 as a belated birthday gift. I pay £10 a month for credit with o2, previously £40 a month with Vodafone o_O

Periods - hahaha - had the Mirena coil fitted so saved about £20 a month on painkillers, tampons, etc.

Cigarettes - was up to 20 a day fucking ex/my mother/stress etc so saved about £20-£30 a week on those, quit over a year ago. (Do still have the odd crafty smoke when I go out which is about 4 times a year.)

FreelanceMama Fri 11-Oct-13 21:19:42

Alcohol - gave it up when I was pregnant and very rarely have a drink now. But have replaced it with non-alcoholic beers... (but only 41p a bottle!)

Make-up and fussy skin products - can't remember why I gave it up but suspect it was when I stopped going out to pubs/clubs and also when I developed sensitive skin for a while. Now just use a decent face wash and moisturiser. And nail polish for my toes.

Going to the cinema or theatre, or out for dinner with my partner (used to do this a lot). Gave it up to save money and was too tired with a new baby and now it's an occasional treat. Instead we have takeaway and watch something free on BT Vision.

Buying music. I listen to the radio a lot now and also get music through BT vision.

Badvoc Fri 27-Sep-13 14:05:08

Sunday paper
Magazines
Alcohol
Named brands

lljkk Sun 22-Sep-13 19:14:21

almost everything. confused
DH is on spending spree though. angry

starfishmummy Sun 22-Sep-13 18:56:06

Books - mil doesn't like her kindle and is buying more books than ever. These come to us and I swap with a friend. Not always to my taste but just pass these straight on or donate them!!

Tea smile

Mum2Fergus Thu 12-Sep-13 16:35:40

Mags and papers
Fabric softener
Fizzy drinks

DancingLady Thu 12-Sep-13 16:31:43

Haven't bought a book this year I think, but have read about 25 so far - use the library LOADS, and get free ones from a friend who's a reviewer.

Only buy a paper on Saturday - that's a treat I don't want to give up.

Gave up LoveFilm as we'd had the same DVD for about 6 months... and were paying £5 a month to not watch it... blush

We eat very little meat and try to use it as a flavouring rather than the bulk of a meal (well I do - DH would eat burgers and steaks 5 times a week...)

Still have a takeaway once every couple of weeks, don't buy as many mags as before DD, and try to declutter and sell on eBay.

HorseyGirl1 Thu 12-Sep-13 15:23:39

magazines.

racingheart Mon 26-Aug-13 20:47:57

Take away coffees. Don't even like the taste of them. Home made coffee from the cafetiere costs less than 20p a cup and is so much nicer.

Drinking in pubs. No longer have to pay £5 for a glass of very mediocre wine. Instead, I drink the occasional glass at home of really good wine for £1 a glass.

antimatter Sun 04-Aug-13 12:00:45

gave up LoveFilm & downsized Virgin package to a minimum - we don't regret it at all

ImNotBloody14 Sun 04-Aug-13 11:45:21

thanks expat.

expatinscotland Sun 04-Aug-13 11:44:08

Viber is an app for the phone free to download. You can buy the Wi Fi gizmo on Amazon or used on Play.com. BT was charging us a bomb. Screw that.

baggyb Sun 04-Aug-13 11:40:31

Clinique...but I'd say my skin is even better now.
Shower gel. Use Dove beauty bar instead. We used to spend about £5 a week on shower gel. Now it's around £3 every 6 weeks, sometimes longer.
Brand-name shampoo. gone from £10 a month to £3 every 2 months (I buy HUGE bottles!).

ImNotBloody14 Sun 04-Aug-13 11:34:05

expat what is viber and where can I get mobile wifi? i'd love to cancel the phone and broadband.

expatinscotland Sun 04-Aug-13 11:29:26

Shower gels. Oliva soap is £1.50 a bar, lasts ages and my skin is no longer dry.

expatinscotland Sun 04-Aug-13 11:17:41

Landline and broadband. We have mobile WiFi, no contract, £15/ month and the base for it was about £50 and we have PAYG mobiles with Viber for texts and calls.

ImNotBloody14 Sun 04-Aug-13 11:15:20

long lie-ins.

I used to think It would kill me not to have a lie-in on sundays and that I was entitled to it after being up early all week. I would lie-in til after 11 then get up, grumpy because the dcs were making a racket and I knew I was coming down to a mess and I had over slept so I was feeling groggy and would take me ages to feel ok.

now I get up at 8 (still a bit of a lie-in compared to weekdays) and enjoy the feeling of knowing I have nowhere to be at 9am/10am whatever and that we can just go where we like or not if we don't feel like it. I don't even begrudge doing a bit of cleaning on sundays now as the days are so much longer (because i'm up earlier) I don't feel i'm wasting it all cleaning.

Cheeseatmidnight Sun 04-Aug-13 11:07:08

Cheap clothes - I am big busted and short so was buying lots of cheapy stuff which almost fitted. Now I save for more expensive clothes but my god, they last longer and look better.

Books - I buy on kindle now and am trying to make more of an effort to read what I have before going out to buy new ones. I am literally surrounded by books and it started to get me down

mrstalbear Sun 04-Aug-13 11:01:35

oh, I also now meal plan and am ashamed of the amount of food I used to throw away each week. now we have much lower food bills and no waste which means we don't fill our wheelie bin within a week and have to do trips to the tip (and this was pre-dd and her nappies!)

Passthecake30 Sun 04-Aug-13 11:00:51

Bubble baths in about a million smells clogging up my bathroom cupboard. ..I now get into the kids used bath water. ..oilatum with aqueous floating on the top...does wonders for my scaly legs! :-)

mrstalbear Sun 04-Aug-13 10:57:45

sky tv- bought a second hand pvr box from ebay that offers the same live pause/rewind/ff record options as sky+ all for the cost of 1 months sky. when I actually looked through my sky planner, we didn't record any sky programmes so I now record all the same from freeview for free!!

brands- love love love aldi!

shop bought lunch- takes 5 mins to throw a packed lunch together.

shop bought bottled water- 12x500ml water from aldi. refill bottles and keep in fridge. I also keep bottles in a cool bag (no ice pack, just keeps it from getting hot in this weather- cool not cold) in car so I don't get caught out when out and about.

take aways- used to have 3 a week blush,now we have 1 a week with PIL on a Saturday night which they pay for so a real treat.

newspapers- don't miss it at all.

buying books new- I check ebay for bundles or use library

I have ebayed LOADS of crap stuff that had been lying about the house unused and if I want something I check ebay/ freecycle first- I have just got a breadmaker (good make and barely used) for 4.99- bargain!

fresh veg- frozen all the way! good for you and NO waste!

i'm sure there is more but I have rambled for too long!!

Fridayschild Sun 04-Aug-13 08:12:30

Gave up buying lunch at work. Packed lunches are much nicer.

Started cycling to work, gave up the gym and railcard. It took 3 months to pay off the cost of the bike and by then I was hooked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now