What have you given up only to find you didn't need it anyway?

(58 Posts)
IamMummyhearmeROAR Tue 23-Jul-13 14:36:19

Spending a fiver every weekend on the newspapers. Not really missed any Big News and certainly don't miss the mess as my dh spreads them about the house

Glossy mags- full of ads and the same stories, most with little relevance to my life

Takeaways- cut down from once a month to a couple of times a year. My dh makes a mean curry and a great sweet and sour chicken

superbagpuss Wed 24-Jul-13 18:49:42

buying lunch at work - packed lunch is just as good and saves so much money

paying for a gym, haven't put too much weight on - I hope hmm.

amigababy Wed 24-Jul-13 18:52:08

the gym. I'm doing c25k. now for free ( except trainers) I might start swimming again but once a week won't equal what I paid in a monthly sub.

Pollydon Wed 24-Jul-13 18:56:07

Another one who dropped Sky, same reason as other poster - do not miss it at all & better off ny £300 ish per year.

TheCrackFox Wed 24-Jul-13 19:06:53

Completely agree about newspapers, magazines and books. The equivalent of children spending their pocket money on comics.

Expensive make up - cheap brands from Superdrug are just fine.

Coffee and cake at Starbucks. I make a much better cake and cup of coffee at home.

GW297 Wed 24-Jul-13 19:40:56

Couldn't give up Sky, Liz Earle or gym membership though.

buildingmycorestrength Wed 24-Jul-13 19:51:53

Love my Saturday paper and do not want to give it up.

redwellybluewelly Wed 24-Jul-13 20:04:16

Tv licence - been gone a year and apart from the faff of having to boot the laptop its overall been a huge benefit. Use streaming media.

Don't do gym, magazines papers but we both take lunches and keep cup for coffee to cut costs - don't miss starbucks! Also its very very rare that we have a takeaway now.

Quenelle Thu 25-Jul-13 13:49:10

Shop bought sandwiches and salads. They never taste as good as homemade ones anyway. Why do pasta salads always taste of vinegar?

Fridayschild Sun 04-Aug-13 08:12:30

Gave up buying lunch at work. Packed lunches are much nicer.

Started cycling to work, gave up the gym and railcard. It took 3 months to pay off the cost of the bike and by then I was hooked.

mrstalbear Sun 04-Aug-13 10:57:45

sky tv- bought a second hand pvr box from ebay that offers the same live pause/rewind/ff record options as sky+ all for the cost of 1 months sky. when I actually looked through my sky planner, we didn't record any sky programmes so I now record all the same from freeview for free!!

brands- love love love aldi!

shop bought lunch- takes 5 mins to throw a packed lunch together.

shop bought bottled water- 12x500ml water from aldi. refill bottles and keep in fridge. I also keep bottles in a cool bag (no ice pack, just keeps it from getting hot in this weather- cool not cold) in car so I don't get caught out when out and about.

take aways- used to have 3 a week blush,now we have 1 a week with PIL on a Saturday night which they pay for so a real treat.

newspapers- don't miss it at all.

buying books new- I check ebay for bundles or use library

I have ebayed LOADS of crap stuff that had been lying about the house unused and if I want something I check ebay/ freecycle first- I have just got a breadmaker (good make and barely used) for 4.99- bargain!

fresh veg- frozen all the way! good for you and NO waste!

i'm sure there is more but I have rambled for too long!!

Passthecake30 Sun 04-Aug-13 11:00:51

Bubble baths in about a million smells clogging up my bathroom cupboard. ..I now get into the kids used bath water. ..oilatum with aqueous floating on the top...does wonders for my scaly legs! :-)

mrstalbear Sun 04-Aug-13 11:01:35

oh, I also now meal plan and am ashamed of the amount of food I used to throw away each week. now we have much lower food bills and no waste which means we don't fill our wheelie bin within a week and have to do trips to the tip (and this was pre-dd and her nappies!)

Cheeseatmidnight Sun 04-Aug-13 11:07:08

Cheap clothes - I am big busted and short so was buying lots of cheapy stuff which almost fitted. Now I save for more expensive clothes but my god, they last longer and look better.

Books - I buy on kindle now and am trying to make more of an effort to read what I have before going out to buy new ones. I am literally surrounded by books and it started to get me down

ImNotBloody14 Sun 04-Aug-13 11:15:20

long lie-ins.

I used to think It would kill me not to have a lie-in on sundays and that I was entitled to it after being up early all week. I would lie-in til after 11 then get up, grumpy because the dcs were making a racket and I knew I was coming down to a mess and I had over slept so I was feeling groggy and would take me ages to feel ok.

now I get up at 8 (still a bit of a lie-in compared to weekdays) and enjoy the feeling of knowing I have nowhere to be at 9am/10am whatever and that we can just go where we like or not if we don't feel like it. I don't even begrudge doing a bit of cleaning on sundays now as the days are so much longer (because i'm up earlier) I don't feel i'm wasting it all cleaning.

expatinscotland Sun 04-Aug-13 11:17:41

Landline and broadband. We have mobile WiFi, no contract, £15/ month and the base for it was about £50 and we have PAYG mobiles with Viber for texts and calls.

expatinscotland Sun 04-Aug-13 11:29:26

Shower gels. Oliva soap is £1.50 a bar, lasts ages and my skin is no longer dry.

ImNotBloody14 Sun 04-Aug-13 11:34:05

expat what is viber and where can I get mobile wifi? i'd love to cancel the phone and broadband.

baggyb Sun 04-Aug-13 11:40:31

Clinique...but I'd say my skin is even better now.
Shower gel. Use Dove beauty bar instead. We used to spend about £5 a week on shower gel. Now it's around £3 every 6 weeks, sometimes longer.
Brand-name shampoo. gone from £10 a month to £3 every 2 months (I buy HUGE bottles!).

expatinscotland Sun 04-Aug-13 11:44:08

Viber is an app for the phone free to download. You can buy the Wi Fi gizmo on Amazon or used on Play.com. BT was charging us a bomb. Screw that.

ImNotBloody14 Sun 04-Aug-13 11:45:21

thanks expat.

antimatter Sun 04-Aug-13 12:00:45

gave up LoveFilm & downsized Virgin package to a minimum - we don't regret it at all

racingheart Mon 26-Aug-13 20:47:57

Take away coffees. Don't even like the taste of them. Home made coffee from the cafetiere costs less than 20p a cup and is so much nicer.

Drinking in pubs. No longer have to pay £5 for a glass of very mediocre wine. Instead, I drink the occasional glass at home of really good wine for £1 a glass.

HorseyGirl1 Thu 12-Sep-13 15:23:39

magazines.

DancingLady Thu 12-Sep-13 16:31:43

Haven't bought a book this year I think, but have read about 25 so far - use the library LOADS, and get free ones from a friend who's a reviewer.

Only buy a paper on Saturday - that's a treat I don't want to give up.

Gave up LoveFilm as we'd had the same DVD for about 6 months... and were paying £5 a month to not watch it... blush

We eat very little meat and try to use it as a flavouring rather than the bulk of a meal (well I do - DH would eat burgers and steaks 5 times a week...)

Still have a takeaway once every couple of weeks, don't buy as many mags as before DD, and try to declutter and sell on eBay.

Mum2Fergus Thu 12-Sep-13 16:35:40

Mags and papers
Fabric softener
Fizzy drinks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now