Sainsburys basic. Any recommendations?

(60 Posts)
fudgelover Wed 29-May-13 09:38:58

I need to cut my food shopping bill. Each week I seem to spend more and more. I shop at sainsburys,just because that is the one nearest to me. Can anyone recommend any of the sainsburys basic range.

racingheart Tue 04-Jun-13 20:55:40

Best basics we get from Sainsbury are:

wholemeal sliced bread (really nicer than the more expensive one) at 50p for 800g loaf
chopped tomatoes
lasagne sheets
dark chocolate 30p
rice
flour

nannynick Wed 05-Jun-13 12:32:16

Ready salted crisps multipack. Good size for children.
Chocolate cerealbar, chocchip cereal bar. The oat&rasin cerealbar is not so nice.
Biscuits such as borbons/custcream
Large prawns

Quenelle Wed 05-Jun-13 12:41:28

Rice
Kidney beans
Mozzarella/mozzarella balls

Also look in the World Foods section. You will find tinned toms, chickpeas, coconut milk and Indian crisps and snacks at much cheaper prices than in the usual tinned veg section.

Quenelle Wed 05-Jun-13 12:43:36

Oh and the chilled, individual cheese and tomato pizza is the only pizza DS will eat.

Quenelle Wed 05-Jun-13 12:49:37

I was buying the Basics individual peach or strawberry yogurts but found that the six pack of red or orange fruit yogurts at 99p is almost as good value and much nicer.

I used to buy Basics fromage frais for DS because they have less sugar. They were fine.

I have noticed that the Basics butter isn't always the cheapest on the shelf. The price must fluctuate according to supplier.

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Wed 05-Jun-13 12:52:06

Creme caramels. Mmmmmm

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Wed 05-Jun-13 12:58:00

Part baked baguettes
Jaffa cakes
Fromage frais
Mozzerella
Honey
Parmasan alike
Naan bread
Pitta bread

The only bad thing so far is the tinned sponge pudding

I find their dishwasher tablets fine. Always use them

MrsGSR Wed 05-Jun-13 12:59:39

We bought the basics rolled lamb shoulder, or something similar. Very cheap for lamb and tasted great. managed to get two meals out of it smile

Quenelle Wed 05-Jun-13 13:03:18

Oh yes, and the big packs of toilet rolls! Nine for £1.96 I think and I actually prefer them to the luxury super-thick stuff.

racingheart Thu 06-Jun-13 13:51:10

Oh yes, I'd second the part baked baguettes, mozzarella balls, choc mousses (absolutely identical in ingredients and nutritional ratings as their more expensive mousse - I checked) crème caramel and nachos. But as none of these are strictly necessary in a diet, I guess there's basics and basics if you're on a budget.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now