What meal can I make with left over cooking bacon?

(14 Posts)
acceptableinthe80s Sun 31-Mar-13 12:28:24

Lentil and bacon soup, i'm eating a bowl right now, delicious.

Rosvita Sun 31-Mar-13 12:25:29

Some great ideas guys thank you.i wouldn't have thought of any of those other than omelette or quiche! I think a quiche is a bit beyond me so I'll probably try one of the pasta dishes or an omelette.thanks for all your suggestions!and inmysparetime explaining the difference between pork and bacon!

Or

Boil some potatoes and cabbage.

When cooled fry the potatoes in a little oil once brown and crispy add the bacon and cook until crispy. Then add the cabbage once warmed through serve with a fried egg.

I do this

Cook some spaghetti

meanwhile fry an chopped onion when coloured add bacon cook until browned. Add some frozen peas.

When pasta is cooked keep a cup of the cooking water. Drain pasta add to pea, onion and bacon mix. Add some parmesan and some black pepper and some cooking water and mix well.

Oooh! some fantastic ideas here.

OP there is a Food and Recipes section HERE but you have had some lovely ideas posted, any idea which one you are going to try?

Bacon casserole
"Ham" and potato soup
Pasta with tinned tomatoes and bacon

Bacon is cured pork, it's pork with salt added to make it last longer.

cocoplops Sat 30-Mar-13 19:22:19

Egg fried rice - cut bacon into cubes, stir fry with leftover boiled rice, random veg and add omelette. But of soy - yum!

badweekend Sat 30-Mar-13 19:19:08

Chop onions, fry with diced bacon, add puy lentils + veg stock + carrots.

PipkinsPal Sat 30-Mar-13 19:16:33

Risotto, carbonara

MERLYPUSS Sat 30-Mar-13 19:12:55

Quiche?

ClaimedByMe Sat 30-Mar-13 14:15:32

I would use it in an omlette

specialsubject Sat 30-Mar-13 14:13:53

my variation on that is with onions, mushrooms, garlic, feta cheese, herbs and milk.

'carbonara' if no Italian is watching. :-)

I would fry it in a pan with sliced mushrooms, stir in a tub of garlic soft cheese, add milk to thin it and pour over cooked pasta.

I LOVE this - it's cheap, easy and tastes expensive and difficult.

Rosvita Sat 30-Mar-13 13:15:35

Couldn't find a cooking section so thought I'd post here as it is linked with me trying to save money!
I bought some cooking bacon today as it was the cheapest bacon on the shop.have used some to add to ournpast dish for lunch and some I have managed to cut up thinly enough for bacon sandwiches for the kids in the morning.but I am left with a large thick chunky bit of bacon which is very thick and too difficult to cut into bacon strips so I was going to dice it and see if I could use it to make an evening meal for me and dh.i'm not great at cooking though so don't know what simple and cheap meal I could make with it.i wondered of I could put a curry sauce and rice with it to do a pork curry?not sure of the difference between pork and bacon?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now