Do we have a Frugal February thread yet?

(917 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:50

or Frugalbruary if you will?

If there is, point me too it. If not, do you want to join?

I had planned to not spend at all next month. Looks like I will be paying out on two rather big things so its even more important I rein in the wasteful spending.

This is my first frugal fred so I need some help and I know that a lot of you are really good at this sort of thing.

Anyone interested?

I love using my breadmaker - mine has a delay button (maybe they all do) so you can load it up at night and have hot bread in the morning.

My only problem witt it is a) it's hard to slice and so the bread is really thick which I love but my slowly spreading waist doesn't, and b) it's so tasty that I am tempted to eat far more than I would usually

I now buy the teeny tiny wholemeal loaves, which is cheap for the three of us and healthy, but so small that sandwiches look like they were made for a special Dollies Tea Party.

Maryz Wed 30-Jan-13 22:36:37

I am starting a "which breadmaker?" thread.

Watch everyone ignore it grin

takeaway2 Wed 30-Jan-13 22:43:49

May I join? I was lurking in the January and in previous threads and this is my first post on credit crunch.

I usually have NSD in the weekday as I bring my own lunches. DS who's in reception was also having packed lunch every day for January. We've also been v frugal with shopping.

Today the first credit card bill came (I always pay them off but I use them for points like nectar etcetc) and it was £400 less than last months! V pleased. I know last month was Christmas spending but still. And going through the bill, it could have been £235 less if we hadn't bought our vacuum cleaner. So I'm pleased as it may mean that if we are as frugal and careful and not go out for meals etcetc, our credit card bill could go down another £200. smile

I have to recoup the flights I've paid for for the summer! £2500 long haul to visit family.

BoffinMum Wed 30-Jan-13 22:57:12

Marking thread.

mikey9 Wed 30-Jan-13 23:18:51

Chasingtail - we do buy Strong White flour in multiple bags - if you know you are going to stick at it then it is investmenet up front (we get 3 months supply in!!) - thena dd Malted, Wholemeal etc. whatever we fancy throwing in. The key is fresh packeted yeast (if that isn't a contradiction).

Maryz - yes Panasonic may not be the cheapest but we have run one daily for 5 years..... -£150 vs £365 saving per year. - Only a 4 month payback time...There are cheap breadmakers but put simply - there are also breadmakers that don't work. Everyone we know who uses/has used a Panasonic seems to have a good experience.

Does nothing for a Frugal February unless you buy one tomorrow.....(We have an SD254 currently - don't worry about a "Raisin dispenser" or other fancies...).

Sorry for the slight Hijack towards breadmakers but to most of us these kind of savings are well worth it. Why not start in February ;-)

Maryz Wed 30-Jan-13 23:21:34

That's [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SD-2500-Automatic-Breadmaker-Program/dp/B004RTJWMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359587990&sr=8-1 this one] more or less is it mikey?

<ponders>

Unfortunately ordering it tomorrow would really feck up the February visa bill and probably defeat the purpose grin

GhettoPrincess Thu 31-Jan-13 01:24:56

lol

SpringyReframed Thu 31-Jan-13 05:11:30

Marking place as need to save up for some flights.

mikey9 Thu 31-Jan-13 07:01:27

Yes Maryz - that looks like the latest version of the same. - And only £94....These are also a good ebay buy as they seem really robust (i.e. go on for years) - and like many kitchen items - some people buy them swept up with enthusiasm - then don't use and sell. Don't know how much they go for but plenty of very low starting prices [Smile]

VariousBartimaeus Thu 31-Jan-13 09:29:15

Do NSD count if they're on a Sunday? <hopeful>

We never spend on a Sunday anyway though so it doesn't help the overall budget but does help me feeling better smile

My main weakness is that I hate shopping but have discovered online shopping for DS' clothes. Makes it too easy to buy stuff for him.

chasingtail Thu 31-Jan-13 09:32:05

My first dilema of the month is my nephew's 7th birthday next week. We have been banned from buying toys/clothes as apprently he still has too many from Xmas sad, so need to get him something that he will like and appear brilliant without spending too much money IYSWIM??

Other problem is I have a broken ankle so can't drive at the moment and look around shops.

any suggestions on a great but cheap pressie??

MrsDeVere Thu 31-Jan-13 10:01:56

It's not exciting but Argos vouchers are my fall back.
They tend to be appreciated specially for close to Christmas birthdays.

My dcs get them and we tend to spend them on outdoor toys when the weather improves.

Depends on expectations though. Some families feel a bit slighted because they think they show lack of thought. My family just breath a sigh of relief now we have all establishe we are dine with them grin

bluecarrot Thu 31-Jan-13 10:04:00

Chasing tail- cinema voucher? Soft play area voucher?

GirlsonFilm Thu 31-Jan-13 10:05:59

Can I join?

January has been a very hard month financially and we really need to get our fiannces in order. We bought a house last year aka "the money pit" and overspent on our renovation budget by £££££ (I wouldn't dare write it down shock))

I've used freezer stuff in January along witha teetotal(ish) month to try and keep the shopping down, but now need to focus on minimising spends with 15 NSD and a 'frivolous' budget of £10 per week for the month.

I've got some baby stuff to ebay, but the Dcs need some new clothes so that money will disappear soon enough.

chasingtail Thu 31-Jan-13 10:07:45

I'd be thrilled if my DCs were given Argos vouchers, but BIL lives in a naaaice part of London and dont think they 'do' Argos.

Guess I could give money, but that leads to the whole "how much" debate. How much would you give a 7yo - would have to tread carefully, keeping frugality in mind, without appearing stingy. Nightmare!

bluecarrot Thu 31-Jan-13 10:12:28

Which best buys are Panasonic sd 2501 ( dispenser) and 2500 ( identical but without dispenser)

chasing
How about something like this
www.amazon.co.uk/See-Inside-Space-little-Usborne/dp/0746087594/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359627838&sr=1-1#reader_0746087594

If you order now you could still be in time for the free supersaver delivery.

chasingtail Thu 31-Jan-13 10:53:22

Chas brilliant! Ordered and on its way. thanks

NicknameTaken Thu 31-Jan-13 11:29:07

Oh, the joy of payday, even if my entire salary is already more than accounted for.

Had to whack two large-ish sums on my credit card - instalment of fees for a postgrad course I'm doing (£600+) and instalment of large legal bill (£500 - ex taking me to court over child residence issues. The full bill looks like it will be around £12k).

Council tax, childcare, new passport for DD (necessary as we visit family in Ireland fairly often), sob, sob. Apparently I'm due to lose housing benefit soon, not because my income has gone up, but because councils are having to put the squeeze on. If I permanently gave up eating, I'd still be in debt for the forseeable future.

Anyway, this week I put in an application for a better-paid job, so fingers crossed for that.

NicknameTaken Thu 31-Jan-13 11:31:16

A small thing in the scheme of things, but I wasted so much money trying to get passport photos for DD(5). Every time we went near the photo booth, I'd ask if she needed a wee, and every time she said no. Every time I fed the £5 in and told her to pose, she'd suddenly and urgently need the toilet. Three times in total we did it, and three times I ended up with a photo of her tearful and writhing. In the end I gave up and am sending the least-bad photos in.

anklebitersmum Thu 31-Jan-13 11:34:35

shmaltzingmatilda we are vodaphone at the mo for our contract phones. £17 per month, 500 mins, unlimited internet & texts and the smartphone itself. 2yr contract BUT voda replace phone if it breaks within the contact time at no extra charge. They also do better than good deals for the teens sim cards as we're contracted.

iYawn Thu 31-Jan-13 11:53:42

LURK

Mirage Thu 31-Jan-13 12:31:13

I'm in. I've had no work since the end of November.Now I'm a good manager,but it is hard to save when you haven't actually got any cash and aren't spending in the first place.Work picked up this week,but the garage have just rung to say that my car needs £££'s spending on it to get it through it's MOT. Add in a vet's bill,dentist bill,Brownies fees and car tax due next month and it doesn't look like things will improve.

I'm not buying any more food for the time being,we can live out of the freezer and cupboards for a bit. I've just darned my holey socks so they'll last a bit longer.I did an ebay session last week and will do another this weekend.I normally sow some seeds this time of year and sell the plants outside with an honest box-that can be surprisingly profitable for very little effort.

I'm in.

Have overindulged in online shopping while up all night with newborn. Need to cut it out now or I will bankrupt us!

I use amazon for some of our groceries especially things on subscribe and save as you get an extra 10% if you sign up for it (you can cancel it and still get discount).

I get my bread flour delivered that way and it works out loads cheaper. Anything to save me entering a supermarket even with a list one thing ends up sneaking in, and those one things add up.

NSD here smile think I'll be able to manage 2 of these a week as DD and I don't generally leave the house on Mondays or Thursdays and they tend to be massive housework days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now