Do we have a Frugal February thread yet?

(917 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:50

or Frugalbruary if you will?

If there is, point me too it. If not, do you want to join?

I had planned to not spend at all next month. Looks like I will be paying out on two rather big things so its even more important I rein in the wasteful spending.

This is my first frugal fred so I need some help and I know that a lot of you are really good at this sort of thing.

Anyone interested?

southbanklondonofficial Tue 19-Feb-13 13:21:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

northender Tue 19-Feb-13 17:31:02

What did I miss??

AdoraBell Tue 19-Feb-13 18:37:25

North, probably nothing worth reading. I'm on a house keeping thread and there were a few troll posts, single lewd word type, a while ago. Some people have nothing better to do.

Anyway, I'm having an NSD, how's everyone else doing?

Leilandri Tue 19-Feb-13 18:52:10

Adora DH and I had omlettes for breakfast this morning, 3 eggs each, but I am looking after my parents 2 chooks this week as they are on hols, so extra eggs, and our rescued chicken that we didn't expect to be a layer is laying double yolkers every other day at the moment! Got 14 on the side now ..

Baking blueberry muffins tonight, and a huge and sickly chocolate cake. Think I might attempt my first ever quiche too, that should get rid of a few smile

Spent 35p today on 2 donuts. Met DH at the allotment after work, and I was ravenous! Was so nice to sit on our bench in the chilly sunshine and reflect on everything we've achieved in the 8 months since getting our plot smile
More work down there tomorrow, so another NSD.

takeaway2 Tue 19-Feb-13 20:23:52

Spent £7.25 on postage for the delivery of 5 fruit trees! Original price something like £99 but I got them for £29 on groupon. This is in the hope that we get good production and therefore cut down bills!

Other than that didn't spend on lunch at work as brought lunch box. smile

MavisGrind Tue 19-Feb-13 20:33:27

Evening ladies! Another NSD here (not sure how many I'm up to this month though, will need to check).

I too am deluged with eggs, currently got 20 to use up so will be having a bit of a bake at the weekend!

Got another couple of days work in the next few weeks which will go towards the holiday fund.

Hope you all have a good evening smile.

Leilandri Tue 19-Feb-13 20:54:48

Baked my first quiche. Used cheddar and onions, and some wensleydale with cranberries that was left over from our Xmas cheeseboard! Bloody lovely grin so proud of myself. Shall now have a very yummy packed lunch for our allotment day tomorrow wink

AdoraBell Tue 19-Feb-13 22:50:35

Quiche sounds delish Lielandri well done.

Dogs are coming home tonight, I have no doubt OH will delay paying the billhmm, tomorrow should be be another NSD for me.

IsThatTrue Wed 20-Feb-13 03:41:45

Had a NSD today technically yesterday

I worked part of it and then took dcs to a nearby huge park. We couldn't get in the parks lay and display car park so parked in the nearby supermarket for free, for 2 hours. And I had made a picnic which was great. We all really enjoyed it! I like it when the kids are cheap to please!

NSD for me again tomorrow technically today as dcs are at gymnastics camp which they paid for out if their picket money, they will take money for the tuck shop but this will be out of their penny pots, not my pocket!

chasingtail Wed 20-Feb-13 09:43:40

grin at a lay and display car park. Brings interesting images to mind!!

NSD yesterday. Had to renew my travelcard today so rather more spending also did buy one book on my Kindle blush.

DreamingOfTheMaldives Wed 20-Feb-13 14:00:49

NSD day for me yesterday. I need to nip out later to buy some milk and sweetcorn, and may treat myself to a pack of read prepared mango. Really fancy some (and I'm pregnant so it's allowed!)

Will be sure to restrict myself to those bits only unless there is a good deal in the reduced section at Waitrose - they sometimes have good bits to put in the freezer.

Leilandri - I've never made a quiche before but been meaning to try one as I have a couple of blocks of cheddar in the freezer which were reduced.

Do you use cream or just milk in your quiche - I don't really want to use cream when it is for everyday eating? Not sure how many eggs to milk to use either - most recipes I can find are made using loads of cream.

economymode Wed 20-Feb-13 14:21:41

Not very good at keeping up these days.

25% off clothing at Sainsbury's at the moment. 2 pairs of pyjamas for EconomyBoy for £7.50 plus £12 on kitchen scales after same boy broke old ones, ditto £3 on rolling pin. Also stocked up on frozen veg (2 packs for £2.50) and veggie mince (2 for £3) and a big bag of lentils and canned beans from the world food section - cheaper than standard stuff.

£1 today at Stay & Play.

£1.60 on a pair of romper dungarees from Boden after they sent me a £15 voucher and 10% off code to try and get me to buy stuff. Thing is, I only buy from them when they send me those codes!

I also need to get some thank you cards. Will do that on SnapFish, but need some decent pics of EconomyBaby first!

BornToFolk Wed 20-Feb-13 15:29:29

I really want a Boden code! I've seen some trousers for DS that would be perfect...if they weren't £28 shock They never send me codes when I actually want to buy anything though...

NSD so far today but I'll be having a coffee and cake after work. Oh, hang on, just remembered that I transferred the roofer another £250 for sorting out the conservatory roof (in addition to the rest of the roof, after he spotted some damage). Bugger.

Daffyboobface Wed 20-Feb-13 16:31:18

Grr. Why haven't I had a voucher from boden? I've just been given a 15% code on S&B if you want, though

economymode Wed 20-Feb-13 17:25:09

Not sure why I get the Boden gift voucher, tbh. Perhaps because I never buy anything usually. They sent me one last year too. Obviously they want me to spend more than the £15, but I play them at their own game! They do have an outlet shop on eBay, if you're interested.

Leilandri Wed 20-Feb-13 19:55:17

Dreaming I used milk. We very rarely have cream in the house. I used 6 eggs, and about 1/2 mug of milk, not very accurate but I rarely weigh anything!

NSD today. Got down the allotment with DS's and DH today. I got peas and red onions planted out before DS's were too cold to stay any longer, so we went home for hot choc and CBeebies while DH stayed to finish weeding!
I'm on annual leave for a few days, so hoping to get down there a few times without the boys to keep chugging away. Got runner beans, sweet beans, broad beans, beetroot and cabbage seedlings to plant out and so many seeds its ridiculous Hoping for a bumper year this year! grin

Should be another NSD tomorrow, plan to do housework and gardening, then it will be payday on Friday!!
Need to phone Nectar card tomorrow as it has been dormant since '09 but I have nearly £15 on it, so want to get it re-activated again ready to use during 25% off weekend smile
Also need to phone Sky to try to reduce our bill, I've heard threatening to leave works wink ...

takeaway2 Wed 20-Feb-13 21:02:30

NSD today yay!! But tomorrow will probably be spendy as am going to London for business. But hopefully can put lunch claim through work...! smile

IsThatTrue Wed 20-Feb-13 21:30:36

Hmmm chasing I am not sure what you imagine a lay and display car park would entail but I'm pretty sure it is not very innocent grin I should not type while bfing. The results are not good!

£15 on bits in tesco today. Some needed, some not tbh but I have been working my rear end off this week so I am letting myself off the hook!

AdoraBell Wed 20-Feb-13 22:25:14

Took DDs bowling today, £15
Roads £2.40
Top up shop - coffee, toothbrushes & paste, bread, fruit juice and summat else I can't remember right now, £25

DDs spent their pocket money on cheap shoes ( DD2), and cheap jewellery (DD1)

I'm still envy of your allotment Leilandri

roguepixie Thu 21-Feb-13 09:41:17

Morning All, like economy I am having trouble keeping up with this month's thread (although I don't have her reasons smile) - hope all is going well in the economy household with ecomonyboy and economybaby?

February has been an utter disaster for me as far as spending is concerned. Everything seems to have come up at once and food has been coming into the house and being eaten (not by me, I might add smile) like it's in a revolving door!! I've needed new clothes, new shoes, replacement make-up (not that I wear a lot but...some is needed, iyswim). RogueJr has needed a haircut, new clothes and I still have to get him new glasses. <<huge sigh>> I will try harder next month.

Adora, glad you all had a lovely holiday.

On a positive note: it will be a NSD here today.

takeaway2 Thu 21-Feb-13 18:43:41

Just spent £4.25 on coffee and a croissant. And £20 on clothes in primark for my children and me! Oh dear oh dear!!

chasingtail Thu 21-Feb-13 19:13:16

BIL and family have descended for a long weekend, packed down with offerings from Waitrose and M&S. Am determined that we will reciprocate their generosity with buget minded offerings such as baby sitting and outings to the park (rather than the usual meals out / cinema etc).

Was also organised enough to do a big Aldi shop and decant food into various containers prior to them arriving. There not snobs but budget shopping is not on their radar grin

northender Thu 21-Feb-13 19:25:10

Not too bad a week all told. Have kept half term spending down.
dreaming my fail safe quiche recipe is an old Bero one which uses 2 eggs and 1/4 pint of milk for a 7 inch flan. Works every time smile

Leilandri Thu 21-Feb-13 21:27:20

Spent £3 today on chicken fillets from Co-op as I forgot to defrost some for tea sad

Payday tomorrow grin off to Aldi for main cupboard and freezer shop, and Morrisons for top-up bits.
Need to go to Sainsbos too as DS1 needs new vests and wellies, so shall make most of 25% off.
I expect tomorrow to be spendy hmm ......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now