Do we have a Frugal February thread yet?

(917 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:50

or Frugalbruary if you will?

If there is, point me too it. If not, do you want to join?

I had planned to not spend at all next month. Looks like I will be paying out on two rather big things so its even more important I rein in the wasteful spending.

This is my first frugal fred so I need some help and I know that a lot of you are really good at this sort of thing.

Anyone interested?

ifso Wed 30-Jan-13 18:34:05

library has been a lifesaver for us recently - loads of free dvds and a naice place to go to if we need out!

ifso Wed 30-Jan-13 18:36:09

moomooskit totally agree with you about the biscuits - own brand taste exactly the same! Also own brand nuts and popcorn seeds last ages to cook at home in a saucepan instead of individual packets of popcorn. Good to bag it up into freezer bags for DCs when going out and about

Badvoc Wed 30-Jan-13 18:36:38

Won't be a frugal feb for me sadly...conservatory roof needs replacing..only £3.5k sad
On the plus side I have sold my ds2s pram - got £50 which is a pretty poor but better than nothing.
Also trying to e bay some of ds2s clothes but don't seem to be getting much interest..
Waiting til end of feb to get my hair cut - will have to wear a hat til then smile
Am going on a. Diet in feb and of course it's lent from 17th so the season for self denial!! smile not something I have ever been very good at, sadly.

DoItToJulia Wed 30-Jan-13 18:54:51

Can I join?

On maternity leave, so frugal is the new watch word!

I am making all of our bread by hand as I can't believe how much a loaf costs! If I buy sainsbury own make bread flour, and use the cheapest unsealed butter and own make yeast I reckon it costs 40p.

Also making cakes etc instead of filling up the snack drawer. Ds has gone on to school dinners so I don't have to buy so much on he supermarket shop. This is where my money goes!

Mind you Sainsburys have a huge box of fairy washing powder for a tenner, half price. I spent a small fortune in there yesterday as I have tried to stock up on the stuff I always use that was on offer. We do aldi most weeks, with a top up shop monthly at one of the big four. I also use a local greengrocer to buy spuds in huge sacks.

The last thing I need to tackle are our outgoings. Need to consolidate two personal loans into one, check we are on the best gas and electric tariffs and our mortgage deal ends in March, so going to shop around for a new one!

Phew, didn't mean to write an essay....

InNeedOfBrandy Wed 30-Jan-13 19:39:21

See I can be really really good with money but I get bored and sad by not spending, so I go OTT and do a huge clothes shop or redecorate a room, new towels and bedding all round ect ect because I love shopping and buying new things and all the money I have saved disappears.

I can save for something easy enough, but having savings just doesn't work and something big always breaks down once I have a good amount tucked away, last time the washing machine and the fridge/freezer went within a month of each other.

Slippersox Wed 30-Jan-13 19:39:51

Count me in.We've started writing down what we spend from the smallest purchases upwards.Previous efforts to budget and save just involved us looking at the direct debits and larger spends but when we got flu at New Year and didn't leave the house for a week plus we realised just how much we fritter away and how many impulse purchases we make.
I was always popping into town or to the supermarket but have been planning meals and shopping ruthlessly, and actually enjoying it.
Been baking cakes in batches,making soups and casseroles to freeze and enjoying my lovely cosy home more.Realised I have books on the shelves that I impulse bought and never got to read so no more glossy mags that are just full of flyers and adverts anyway.

GirlOutNumbered Wed 30-Jan-13 19:44:08

I'm in. Trying so hard to make a meal plan for the week and think that an online delivery is worth for £4 as it stops me from impulse buying things in the shop.

For my household cleaning things I go to our local 99p shop, it's amazing what you can get in there. Have started baking biscuits for snacks and the heating is now off for the year.

TinyDiamond Wed 30-Jan-13 19:49:27

My No spend day target for feb is 17. Shorter month too so eeek! I am going to write down and plan my spending now so I can hopefully stick to it

chasingtail Wed 30-Jan-13 19:50:02

Wow, heating off? shock Respect!

ProphetOfDoom Wed 30-Jan-13 20:02:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ProphetOfDoom Wed 30-Jan-13 20:15:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maryz Wed 30-Jan-13 20:40:30

Can I join?

I have just realised that ds's latest drugs (legal, I'll have you know) are going to cost the running costs of a small country. So as of now my monthly budget is being reduced by €144.

Even completely stopping wine won't pay for it.

cuppateaanyone Wed 30-Jan-13 20:40:37

Dh and I are terrible at this so I have decided...
All new work clothes to be brought from eBay.
Meal planning and online shop with a list.
Am using thermos mug and drinking coffee from home.
Breakfast biscuits instead of my usual Danish
Nice Heinz cuppa soups in the bag if I run out of time for pack lunch making
We don't do takeaways or eat out generally (maybe once a quarter) so that's ok.
What next ?

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Wed 30-Jan-13 20:45:49

cuppa you sound like you'e doing really well already. Can you sell anything on eBay for extra cash?

Maryz Wed 30-Jan-13 20:46:04

Someone suggested a ten day food plan, so I think I will go with:

My ambition is a week in the sun somewhere this summer. I'm wondering about trying fly/train/campsite. I haven't been abroad for years.

pixiestix Wed 30-Jan-13 21:08:26

I would like to be a Frugaleer too please grin

I am already food planning and trying to cut down on the amount of "stuff" we have, but I've been largely unsuccesful at cutting down on any of our pretty massive debt. If I can shift a few £££ worth then we can start trying for DC2 in earnest, which is a pretty motivating goal!

thunksheadontable Wed 30-Jan-13 21:11:41

Blue carrot, not in Ireland, in a 2-bed semi-d in a scratty area of a major Northern city, dreaming of living somewhere like this mortgage free. Who knows if it will ever happen, property prices etc are so unstable but it is what we are aiming for now at least. I really desperately want at least one more child and I am happy to live really basically but at the same time I want a countryside lifestyle for my kids and for them to live near their family (dh's family lives in Ireland and have a farm he could work part-time on and all his family have kids the same ages as ours). That's the dream..

Mrs DeVere, will look up that book! Just what I need, thanks!

mikey9 Wed 30-Jan-13 21:26:08

Here is one we use (sorry for the loong one - stick with it....):
We have swimming for the boys on a Weds so got into the habit of FnC (Fish and Chips n Haggis) picked up on the way home - not the ideal I know but a nice change from our healthy stuff. That was two Fish Suppers (Fish and Chips) and a Single haggis (Scots for no chips) This works out at £14.50 per week - or a mahoosive £480 over 40 weeks!!!!!

Now the boys like it (and so do I - we get great fish and haggis up here) so didn't want to drop the option completely so now we do FnC alternate weeks 1 and 3 - drop to 2 fish suppers (£11) - we buy a big haggis and cut into 4 - freezing three portions for the following three meals (only about £4).

....and we make Pizza for the other week. This is simple - home made (double portion of Pizza dough in the breadmaker - costs about 70p for enough to make 6 large baking tray size pizzas (and the bases are as close to any I have had in Italy!!) - we make all six up with a variety of toppings (with the mantra less is more on toppings - with a good smear of home made tom sauce) - and eat three between us on week 2 and freeze the other lot for eating on week4 (which was tonight) - hot oven for 10 mins - and perfect with some olives and fresh toms/cucumber - and almost as good as the fresh week. I almost rpefer Pizza week now.

So now over the same 40 weeks we are spending £220. - Yes we could cut it out compeltely and save this bit too........when it gets really tight we will.

MavisGrind Wed 30-Jan-13 21:32:49

I'll join in too if I may? I'm already pretty good at bugeting (all annual bills for example are divided up into 12 and money put away each month for them so no unexpected suprises) however I have a small OD I want to pay off and I would like to get a little cushion of savings.

I think I can't cut back any more but when I check my account there's always something I've bought which I could have done without.

If I can get into the habit of living frugally, happily, then I can start making a dent in the mortgage!

ComradeJing Wed 30-Jan-13 21:46:25

Yes! Joining the Frugaleers.

I'm aiming for 10 NSDs this month. I tried for 15 in Jan and had a big fat fail. I also over spent by a HUGE amount on our budget which I'm really annoyed about. It also really surprised me how often I'm frittering money away.

Our goal is to be debt free (apart from mortgage) by July and to start saving beyond that. The biggest problem is we have moved into a new house and we have purchases that we need to make for it.

I'm going to start ebaying old children's clothing and stick to budget this month.

mikey9 Wed 30-Jan-13 21:49:20

Beg or borrow (or even buy!) a Panasonic (these ones work - reliably and consistently - tested by us and family over 10 years) Breadmaker.

My before going to bed job is to put a loaf on - ignore all the twaddle you have heard about it being a faff - get it organised on a tray with containers for the ingredients and a measuring spoon the follow:

Put Container on Scales
1 tsp yeast from packet
425g randomly mixed flour - 50% white plus anything else
Handfuls of pumpkin, poppy and or sunflour seedss
Salt
Sugar
Knob Butter
210ml water
(this takes a whole 2 to 3 mins!!!!!)

Set for overnight bake (5hrs)
Wake up to fresh loaf.

I have made one per night for the last 7 years or so (nearly 2500 loaves) - latest cost (inluding 1kWh or electric) is approx 70p per loaf for an organic quality loaf of our choice of ingredients - saving over £1 a loaf (prob nearer £2 saving over an organic quality one).

£365 per year saving anyone........

And it makes excellent nan breads to go with home made curries and pizza bases too.

chasingtail Wed 30-Jan-13 21:54:45

Mikey - do you have to use strong bread flour or will any flour do?

cuppateaanyone Wed 30-Jan-13 22:02:57

madam we have a few bits, not much as old clothes and toys go to hospice shop, friends or nursery, but reckon we have enough for a car boot when it's warmer.

Maryz Wed 30-Jan-13 22:23:25

I must investigate these breadmakers and buy one tomorrow, while it's still January

Maryz Wed 30-Jan-13 22:27:28

Yeouch, maybe not - the cheapest Panasonic I can see is €160. That would buy a fair bit of bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now