Storecupboard staples. What do you keep in there that can be turned into a meal?

(66 Posts)
nkf Thu 24-Jan-13 19:44:56

I have:
pasta
tinned tomatoes
rice

But bit dull really.

nkf Sun 27-Jan-13 07:48:55

I've never tried rosti mix. It sounds like it could be very useful. Instant egg and chips or a topping. I am adding that to my list. I filled up the stores yesteday. Loads of pasta and rice and noodles. Does anyone know a way of making something salady quick from stuff in tins? You know for when you want salad and the only stuff in the fridge is sad looking lettuce.

I need to get more stock in and some chickpeas/kidney beans etc.

nkf Sun 27-Jan-13 07:49:17

Stock cubes I meant.

Nkf, three bean salad(tin) with sweetcorn (frozen or tin), crushed garlic, ground pepper and tomato puree (tin or tube), add a spoonful of pesto and some chopped bacon trimmings if you're really pushing the boat out.
Chop in whatever veg and herbs look least sad, it's a good quick salad.

nkf Sun 27-Jan-13 08:40:43

Also, I have just googled open lasagna because I didn't recognise the term. They look brilliant. Imagine two sheets of lasagna, one on the top and one of the bottom of a filling. Sounds really easy and a bit different to just pasta with sauce.

BoffinMum Sun 27-Jan-13 12:18:16

Nkf those tuna salad/Greek salad lunch pots aimed at working ladies on a diet are worth having in stock for that.

BoffinMum Sun 27-Jan-13 12:18:45

I mean working ladies of the office rather than bedroom persuasion, natch. wink

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 27-Jan-13 12:26:22

If you want tinned pulses or red lentils etc always check the world foods aisle in your supermarket. They are usually loads cheaper.

I noticed that in areas with a high ethnic populations the big four tailor their ranges to suit them. So you get huge vats of oil and sacks of rice for pennies.

BoffinMum Sun 27-Jan-13 12:35:41

Our Tesco does Finest basmati rice for £7 for a huge bag.

fuzzpig Sun 27-Jan-13 12:43:33

I now prefer passata to chopped tomatoes.

Favourite use for tinned chick peas:
Heat a little oil in a pan, chuck in drained CPs. Heat through, then stir in some curry paste. When that's heated, mash them. Add a bit of water until it's a bit smoother. Serve as a dip with pitta bread, crudités or whatever. I much prefer it to hummus, it's really lovely.

fuzzpig Sun 27-Jan-13 12:44:41

As for rice, I use Tesco value range, it's lovely, and dirt cheap smile

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 12:46:00

Cup-a soup blush

<not a great cook>

fuzzpig Sun 27-Jan-13 13:52:06

This is an old thread of mine that has loads of suggestions BTW

My favourite salad:
Tinned tuna, frozen green beans, boiled eggs, boiled potato, plus any salad stuff like cucumber. The magic ingredient - avocado. When you mix it, it mushes up a bit so it doesn't need a dressing. Due to the mushiness it's not a very attractive looking dish, but it's yummy!

LayMizzRarb Sun 27-Jan-13 16:37:00

I always keep a couple of tins of Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup in the cupboard. Used without dilution it gives a really creamy rich tomato sauce. There are a few ways I use it - stir through cooked pasta with Tuna or gather all your veg odds and sods, courgettes, broccoli etc cook them, then add a tin of the soup, a couple of tins of beans and simmer on the top of the oven in a stockpot. Serve with crusty bread, and for non veggies, with a sprinkle of cheese or a spoon of Philly stirred through. Lovely and warming, relatively low fat.

fuzzpig Sun 27-Jan-13 17:15:57

We always have a jar of curry sauce and a jar of Homepride tomato and bacon sauce too <yum>

nkf Sun 27-Jan-13 20:21:57

Agree on passata. I use the Basics range. Totally fine. I like the curried chick peas recipe. Thank you.

nkf Sun 27-Jan-13 20:26:20

Okay, anyone up to a challenge. Found some odd things in the cupboard. What can I do with the following things?

- Condensed mushroom soup. Can't remember why I bought it.
- Tin of chestnut puree. Must have intended to go all Nigella-ish at Christmas. On the side it says you can use it to make soups. Can you?
- Some bamboo shoots. Can't remember why I bought those either. Stir fry I guess.

notnowImreading Sun 27-Jan-13 20:32:13

Linguini, bottle of lemon juice, olive oil, tin of white crab meat, dried chillis. Nice pasta dish, seems like you made an effort even though you didn't.

PetiteRaleuse Sun 27-Jan-13 20:36:49

Boffin cassoulet is what you're thinking of.

I also buy tinned duck confit. Yum.

Other than that I have tinned tuna, tomatoes and sweetcorn in. Plus frozen sliced onions and frozen sliced leeks.

Always have a couple of jars of pataks curry paste, a teaspoon of which can liven up pasta or soup (seriously).

Allways have a bottle if very cheap white wine too. A glass added to a pan of soup or poured over baked chicken or fish can make it a little different.

BoffinMum Sun 27-Jan-13 22:50:34

That's it, cassoulet. Name was on the tip of my tongue.

If you open a bottle of wine but fail to finish it before it goes funny, keep it handy as it's useful to cook with.

BoffinMum Sun 27-Jan-13 22:58:05

Stop press ... Austerity Housekeeping eBook is free again on Kindle tomorrow, if anyone still wants a copy.

BoffinMum Sun 27-Jan-13 22:58:19

I mean Amazon!

CSLewis Tue 29-Jan-13 11:36:57

nfk: Thin down the mushroom soup with boiling water and use as stock for mushroom/chicken/any vegetable risotto.

Chestnuts (whole or pureed) are yummy in soups as long as they are unsweetened... I've made a lovely lentil and lardon soup which I chucked some whole vac-packed chestnuts into and then whizzed up a bit - I'm sure a splodge of the puree would do just fine.

You could probably also make some very fancy stuffing with it as well.

Bamboo shoots - yup, stirfry!

BornToFolk Tue 29-Jan-13 11:52:44

Tin of chestnut puree. Must have intended to go all Nigella-ish at Christmas. On the side it says you can use it to make soups. Can you?

I made chestnut and sage soup yesterday. Recipe from the Hugh FW veggie book but it's v simple, just an onion, chestnuts, stock and sage, with some creme fraiche stirred through at the end. I used vac packed chesnuts but I'm sure you could use puree (as long as it's unsweetened!)

I always have gnocchi in the cupboard. Lasts for ever and can be turned into a quick, easy meal with some pesto or jarred sauce. And a bit different from endless pasta...

fuzzpig Tue 29-Jan-13 14:50:58

Mmmm gnocchi, one of my favourite things ever!

notnowImreading Tue 29-Jan-13 20:25:45

You can fry gnocchi - it's delicious and chewy with a crunchy outside. Very nice fried with chorizo and made into a salad. I don't eat very healthily!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now