Embarrassment at buying Value items at the suprmarket

(123 Posts)
Bumblequeen Fri 11-Jan-13 18:26:07

I buy in Sainsbury, Asda, Lidl and I only buy the shop's products or value items such as biscuits, sweets and other bits. I somstimes feel embarrassed at the till especially when people in queue have trolleys full of luxury products products working people should be able to afford.

We do not buy red meat as too expensive. Only eat chicken and fish.

Budgeting for food shopping is soul destroying. I love food, preparing, cooking and eating it.

Moominsarehippos Fri 11-Jan-13 18:34:10

Some of its ok. Some is crap - but some of the 'premium brand' stuff is rubbish too. I bought a very expensive tin of organic-picked-by-a-yeti-on-a-full-moon chopped tomatoes (emergency purchase) and when I drained it (as per my recipe) it was about 3/4 juice, with very little actual tomatoes in it.

Forget about other people.

Chottie Fri 11-Jan-13 18:35:55

I never look in other people's trolleys, I'm just concentrating on getting my shopping done and I am sure a lot of other people are exactly the same.

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 11-Jan-13 18:36:16

I don't care in the supermarket but all value stuff gets decanted into containers or hidden. I use cereal pourers and biscuit tins, I put stuff into other stuff and no one knows the difference.

I was just thinking about this the other day.
I shop online buying mainly value products ans special offers, I wondered if I would be embarrassed if someone saw my shopping trolley in real life.
Sadly I came to the conclusion that I would be.

Shakey1500 Fri 11-Jan-13 18:38:07

I couldn't give a toss about what people may or may not think about my shopping habits. There's a good phrase...

"You wouldn't care so much about what people thought of you if you realised just how infrequently they did....."

grin

Moominsarehippos Fri 11-Jan-13 18:38:59

I always look in other peoples baskets. What amuses me most is the single guys with own label bread, baked beans etc and the most expensive tins of cat food going.

skaen Fri 11-Jan-13 18:41:05

I used to work as a checkout assistant. I would have a (tiny) judge at people who had heaving trolleys full of junk food but other than that, didn't notice at all.

The Ocado app makes a big thing about the products it has on special offer so I don't think there is any snobbishness about using discounts or not.

Please don't worry about it.

GrassIsntGreener Fri 11-Jan-13 18:41:50

If people I cared about, cared about me buying value or fancy products, then I may not wish to continue the relationship with them. As for anyone else, I really don't care! Why would I want to pretend I have money if I don't anyway that sounds like a wast of energy to me.

Im more embarrassed to have a basket full of junk food than value stuff, in fact I feel a bit proud that I haven't been swayed by advertising executives to buy fancy packaging

colleysmill Fri 11-Jan-13 18:45:54

Crickey no! I'm not embarrassed by my trolley!

I shop in Lidl and happily let anyone who asks know that. Before Christmas in the shop 2 people approached me and asked what I was buying (booze wise) and i helped a man pick a nice bottle of red for a friend.

I shop there not always out of necessity but hell if I can save money I will do.

mercibucket Fri 11-Jan-13 18:45:56

I always look but only from boredom and idle curiosity

Own brands are healthier - less salt, less sugar etc. Just tell people that in the queue if they look sniffy

I do judge my mil for decanting aldi stuff into other packets though

hotmama Fri 11-Jan-13 18:49:16

Personally, I think it is very sensible shopping. Check out moneyconsumerexpert.com - Martin Lewis' website - he recommends dropping a brand - and other good budgeting tips.

I appreciate that choosing to do this is different to having to IYKWIM.

Honestly, nothing to be embarrassed about - I mix and match the stuff I buy.

I make red meat go far by doing spag bogs etc and do food planning so don't waste much. I make the most of special offers and freeze stuff.

I couldn't give a toss what is in another persons trolley and pretty sure that this is the reaction of most shoppers. If people are 'snooty' they need to get a life!

sad that this is bothering you and that you feel skint.

Feel smile that you are making lovely homemade food rather than buying expensive ready meals that are high in salt etc.

Chin up smile

strumpetpumpkin Fri 11-Jan-13 18:49:52

if i saw someone buying value pasta, potatoes, value vegetables, basics etc, i would just assume they were on a skint week. I wouldnt really think anything of it. I do it myself.

If someones trolley was loaded with value chips, crisps, chocolate,cola, undisclosed meat pies etc, Id think they were probably a bit rough, but i wouldnt really spend any time thinking about it, nor would I worry what other people thought of my basket usually.

sorry

babster Fri 11-Jan-13 18:52:23

I buy value orange and apple juice cartons for the children's packed lunches as it tastes no different and saves a fortune. One day, dd1 told me that a friend of hers had commented on it - she replied incredulously 'It's just orange juice!'. I love that kid.

lastSplash Fri 11-Jan-13 18:55:26

I like the basic minimalist aesthetic of value range stuff.

Also I feel like I'm not paying so much for people to advertise at me, (packaging designers etc.) and more of my money is going on the actual food.

Maybe I'd feel differently if it were lidl's basic, but I have no inclination to decant my waitrose essentials shampoo and conditioner etc...

rubyrubyruby Fri 11-Jan-13 18:57:12

I think that you are probably more aware and self conscious of it because it's what you can afford.

I buy many value products even though tbh, we can afford not to.

Over Christmas I went for drinks at a friends house who is very wealthy. I love Disaronno and he served me up Aldi's own brand equivalent because he can't tell the difference (except the price) and neither could I.

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 11-Jan-13 18:58:06

I don't look. I would only notice the contents of someone's trolley if they had really odd stuff - like a trolley full of cat food and one small bag of salad, for example. Crisps, chocolate biscuits and fizzy drinks, I would assume children's party.

When I was really skint, I used to shop in Netto and Farm Foods. The toilet rolls in FF were cheap as chips, and quilted. I got taken to a very fancy restaurant in London and they had the same loo rolls there. We used to buy a lovely Languedoc wine in Netto for £2.50 a bottle, and Oyster Bay Sav Blanc for £3.99, when it was at least £6.99 everywhere else. Farm Foods had branded frozen stuff, and we got a box of filo pastry wrapped prawns in there for £1.50 a box - they were excellent, as were the samosas for the same price. Tinned tomatoes are tinned tomatoes, and if the juice is a bit thin, just squirt in a bit of puree to thicken.

lastSplash Fri 11-Jan-13 19:01:10

Agree with * cluelessnchaos* upthread - I'm pleased not to be hoodwinked into spending hundreds of pounds a year on fancy packaging.

RandallPinkFloyd Fri 11-Jan-13 19:02:13

I couldn't give two shiny shites personally.

It's not something that's ever crossed my mind. My trolley is usually a heady mix of value lines and whoops stuff.

My freezer is bursting at the seams with terribly posh food plastered in yellow labels! Works for me grin

littletingoddess Fri 11-Jan-13 19:03:38

If I saw someone with lots of value products, I'd just think they were being sensible with their money.

I don't know if it is the same in the UK but in the US, products are often made by one company and then sourced by various brands. A few years ago a company that manufactured peanut butter issued a recall as some of the batches had been contaminated with a food-borne bacteria. Not only were some store's own-label brands recalled, one of the name-brands was affected as well. As a result, quite often I find myself wondering if the 'value' brand is exactly the same as some of the 'name' brands, only with different packaging.

Why on earth are you embarrassed? I buy value stuff and special offers and bulk out meals with cheap veg and pulses. I consider that good common sense, not embarrassing at all. I have enough money to buy high end stuff if I wanted, but I look for good value and quality not brand names and fancy packaging.

What puzzles me is why you think it is cheaper to eat fish than red meat? Fish is a treat for us as it is so expensive. Cheap cuts of meat need careful cooking but make great family meals.

Adversecamber Fri 11-Jan-13 19:04:41

I would never judge on value stuff but sometimes think foolish when people have trolleys heaving with over priced stuff.

Reaa Fri 11-Jan-13 19:05:52

I bumped into one of the school mums at local supermarket one with more money, bigger house than me and I not only had a lot of basic stuff but I had reduced stuff too oh the shame after getting over the initial embarrassment i did not care at least she could see I was feeding my family smile

ouryve Fri 11-Jan-13 19:07:13

I buy "luxury" stuff and basics stuff and everything in between. Nowt to be embarrassed by.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now