Judicious January - Long may the credit crunching continue

(731 Posts)
roguepixie Tue 01-Jan-13 12:03:15

So, the credit crunching team are into Year 2013. Happy New Year everyone.

Let's continue our cost-cutting, , money saving,penny and pound pinching, NSD ways.

economymode Sun 20-Jan-13 15:33:15

Broccoli and stilton soup sounds good, northender. Makes a change from my usual lentil and veg affair - might give it a go tomorrow lunch!

What is the link you referred to? Can't see it on this page and meant to be working, so shouldn't really scroll page through...

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 20-Jan-13 15:44:48

Boffin - that doesn't sound too bad! DH and I are partial to a really nice bottle on the rare occasion that we go out! blushgrin

Creme congratulations!

Today hasn't been a NSD in the end. £20 on squash, baby wipes, de-icer, salt for the drive and a windscreen scraper.

Tomorrow DH needs to buy his train ticket for the month plus his station parking. £550 sad
I am hoping that will be the only spend. I don't know whether school will be open, we've had more snow here today and it has got slushy and is now re-freezing so we will have ice sheets to contend with in the morning. Hence the salt purchase.

northender Sun 20-Jan-13 15:45:39

boffin yes to the Alvin Hall comment grin. I got one of his books out of the library on Thursday along with "Finances at 40" and one about retiring early. These were countered by a book about Italy for holiday planning purposes! I should be well prepared with all those books and your austerity housekeeping one grin

CremeEggThief Sun 20-Jan-13 16:19:38

Thanks again all. thanks

Economy, not long for you. Can't wait to read your good news very soon smile.

NSD (apart from travel costs to Ireland to see my new niece. Just over £200 on my credit card. Sh!)

roguepixie Sun 20-Jan-13 16:20:32

Boffin, I think that would earn my DH a "conversation", IYKWIM. I would not be impressed at that. I know what you mean about tax - the amounts that are lost from those who could pay and then they hit the rest of us to recoup.

northender, have a look at Hugh's website - I am sure a recipe will be on there. It looked stunning and very very tasty. Good luck with the car.

economy, so sorry you are in pain. Not long now ...

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sun 20-Jan-13 16:55:15

It's been a NSD here for me. Not feeling well so haven't gone any further than the garden to make a snowman with DS. Currently have a cake in the oven, can't wait till it's done, I really fancy cake grin.

stormforce10 Sun 20-Jan-13 17:05:57

NINE POUNDS in the co-op. I only popped in for baby food (yes I know I should make it myself but having jars about is just convenient blush) Then realised we were low on baby wipes so more of those, a couple of loafs of soreen loaf on offer, a yellow stickered pain au chocolat for dd. I did get a lot of baby food though so hopefully will last a while.

Reading all this has just reminded me that i think Ive got some blue cheese that needs using up but no broccili - do you think celery and blue cheese soup would work?

Fluffycloud I agree wiht you about Aldi, I think the prices are going up too. I'm sure I spent more than usual in there last time. Still cheaper than just about everywere else though. Going to do a meal plan in a minute based on whats in the freezer / fridge / cupboards - hopefully won't need to buy much this week.

I've done 10 NSDs and am aiming for 12. If I get to 12 I may up my target to 15 but that just seems so many

stormforce10 Sun 20-Jan-13 17:26:46

damn just did my menu plan and lost it before it posted trying again. SPot the meals where we're using up left over christmas party food

Monday pork chops, mash, carrots and peas
Tuesday salami and cheese omlettes with salad and new potatos
wednesday celery and blue cheese soup, garlic bread
Thursday chilli con carne, wraps, cheese, salsa and salad
Friday chicken korma, nan bread, salad and rice
Saturday mini pizzas, potato wedges and baked beans
Sunday been invited out
Monday mini chicken satay sticks, rice and peas
Tuesday pasta bolognaise and salad
Wednesday baked potatos, tuna mayo and sweetcorn
Thursday (PAYDAY)left over roast lamb from freezer, leeks in cbseese sauce, other veg and roast potatos

BoffinMum Sun 20-Jan-13 17:36:49

Normally I feel paying tax is part of being a grown up, responsible citizen, and I am pleased to be able to pay my way, but I actually felt that this last lot was being squeezed out of me IYSWIM. Perhaps I should be happy I have contributed to a certain Very Wealthy And Right Wing Poster's recent and widely boasted about £15,000 tax discount <bitch emoticon>.

Moving on, NSD today, my home made yoghurt has worked and I have made yoghurt cheese which works like a low fat butter and is deligh with apricot jam, and I may save on train fares this week if the snow stays there! grin

BoffinMum Sun 20-Jan-13 17:37:18

Oh yes, and I found some snow boots in the loft for DC4 so that saved me about £20. grin

HearMyRoar Sun 20-Jan-13 17:51:34

Yay! Nsd day today for me and dp only spent about £3 on a load of yellow sticker bread that should keep us in nice bread for the week.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:06:34

Storm, yes I do. Celery usually goes well with cheese.

Sainsburys basics potatoes are 50p cheaper than Aldi now.

Leilandri Sun 20-Jan-13 20:50:30

NSD here grin

Spent another evening last night, and most of today, feeling very fortunate that we rent our property instead of own it. Our boiler refused to fire last night and we had no heating - Brrrrr! Luckily my DS's were having a sleepover at DParents, so it was just me and DH shivering. All fixed now tho, and no expense to me!

Meal planned for the week, using the freezer mostly
TODAY - Toad in the hole, roast pots, cauli cheese and sprouts
MON - Fajitas
TUES - Pork chops in cider sauce, mash and green beans
WEDS - Chicken kievs/fish fingers, chips and beans
THURS - Thai red chicken curry and rice
FRI - (PAYDAY!!) Enchiladas and salad
SAT - Homemade pizza

Congrats Creme on your little niece wine

Mum2Fergus Sun 20-Jan-13 22:18:11

Well, was a NSD til about an hour ago when I stocked up on milk and bread after seeing what the weather has in store for us tomorrow! DP had text from school he teaches in to say they are staying closed tomorrow.

AdoraBell Mon 21-Jan-13 02:28:42

Quick update, will catch up later.

Yesterday, £20 on art supplies for DDs
Roads £1.20

Today
Roads £1.20
Pizza with DD1 (DD2 went a friend's) £10
Cinema £10
Salad for tomorrow's lunch £3.00

Planning NSD for tomorrow but driving today a stone hit the car and cracked the windscreen, so that'll be a large bill soon.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 21-Jan-13 07:22:46

I'm off today, I feel rotten and I work with elderly people who really don't need my germs.

I'll still be spending though as we need birdseed. Dh will hopefully pick some up for me. Good job I stocked up on paracetamol. 15p in morrisons. I like to be a frugal ill person, dh only has brand names and it drives me potty. I make him pay for his own.

It's always worth keeping an oil filled radiator or two, they are cheap in lidl atm, in case of boiler failure. Are they coming out to the boiler today? You can actually buy boilers off Amazon, they looked cheaper than main suppliers. Not that I look at boiler websites or the insulation section at wickes or the energy saving trust in my spare time. Oh no.

Don't forget www.free-stuff.co.uk updates today for freebies. I think supersavvyme has a £1 off always voucher, always towels are a £1 in tescos so free towels.

roguepixie Mon 21-Jan-13 08:18:57

Sorry you are ill, fluffy. Not sure what is worse ... being ill in the summer or in the winter?

Am aiming for a NSD here today ... really do not need anything <<not that that has stopped me before>> smile.

DS has gone off to school this morning ... his must be the only school to remain open, and he has a fair old journey to get there. So, I am back to stressing that all will be ok to get home home. I am firmly in the camp that really, nothing should stop because of bad/poor weather, we should be coping. Indeed, I think that most people are coping, it's just the bastard overground/underground and other such organisations that let the side down. Why don't we learn? I know we can't guarantee these conditions year on year but still, surely we should be more able to keep running than this. Drives me mad. Argh. Ok, breathe, rant over smile.

jenduck Mon 21-Jan-13 09:12:17

economy hope baby behaves for you & arrives soon. SPD is horrid sad

Ali that is an expensive train ticket. DH pays about £450/month (Essex-London), but thankfully he is going to work locally from the middle of next week, so even though the wage may go down a bit, the commuting costs will do, too.

Fluffy hope you feel better soon.

Rogue hope your DS gets to school & back OK. Agree we should be more prepared, but we're Brits, we like to panic, right? wink

Not had a great start to the day money-wise. Garage have rung to confirm that car will cost worst case scenario of £350 sad. So, I transferred £400 to cover that & another bill - and now can't see the money! It's not in the account I paid it from, nor the account I thought I paid it to! So will have to spend some time on the phone to the bank to check what's happened!

Spent 50p for DS1's class money today, & want to get some cheese to go on top of our pasta & meatballs tonight. Other than that should be NSD as I don't fancy toddler group in this weather, we can play out in the snow instead.

northender Mon 21-Jan-13 11:13:46

Hope you feel better soon fluffy
Ouch to the car bill jen and hope your money appears soon. I always feel a bit nervous when I do transfers.
Still no news on our car, just rang the garage and they haven't tried starting it yet today. I'm getting edgy as I need a car for work tomorrow.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 21-Jan-13 11:18:09

Jen, I'm sure that's happened to us in the past and it got sorted out. The money was just floating around their systems.

It's nerve wracking though. All this snow should slow us down a bit with our spending.

roguepixie Mon 21-Jan-13 11:45:07

jenduck, it can take a couple of hours to transferred funds to show in an account. Can you call the bank that should have received the money to check - they may be able to confirm that it is there but just not showing yet?

stormforce10 Mon 21-Jan-13 12:35:03

dd's school is closed today so she's home. She's asked to go out to lunch - answer no we're having cheese and beans on toast. She's asked to go to cinema - answer no we'll make lemon drizzle cake and fairy cakes and choose a dvd to watch. she's asked to go to the park for an ice cream confused - um no its too bl**dy cold. Can't believe the school is closed. dp had no problem getting to work, my neighbour had no problem going to shops, its not snowing so why?

Determined to make it a NSD somehow though.

stormforce10 Mon 21-Jan-13 12:36:02

jen I transferred some money last week and t took a few hours. Hopefully it will appear soon. Sorry about the car what a pain

CremeEggThief Mon 21-Jan-13 12:49:50

Snow day for us too, although I was not pleased that the school chose to inform us at 8.40, by which stage we were already on a bus, trying to get there through blizzard conditions. DS only chanced going out to play in the back garden a few minutes ago, as it hasn't stopped all morning.

Then,I had to drop off an application form at a school that was open today. The round trip that should have taken no more than 45 minutes took the best part of two hours! Pleased to be back in bed, warming up a bit, for an hour and looking forward to some leek and potato soup for lunch.

Stay safe, everyone.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 21-Jan-13 13:02:16

I always wonder if they shut the schools to reduce overall amount of traffic on the roads, therefore hopefully reducing accidents and fatalities.

Someone overtook me on a dual carriageway on Friday, I thought twat to myself and he lost control of the car and nearly span backwards into my car. Once the scary bit was over I was very smug I was in control of my car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now