how much is your dual fuel bill?

(155 Posts)
Hattie11 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:39:12

We pay 76 a mth at the moment although I'm frightened once heating kicks in they'll put it up as always happened with previous company.

We are in 3 bed semi with gas central heating. I'm at home most days with 2 youngest. Currently don't have loft insulation, but just installing it hoping it will make a big difference.

So....does our bill seem high or low compared to yours?

MarianForrester Mon 08-Oct-12 20:24:22

£162, big old, cold house.

Hattie11 Tue 09-Oct-12 20:17:45

So you've all convinced me my monthly amount will go up once winter kicks in!

This is what annoys me, with switching they quote u a cheaper price which is never accurate it happens everytime! I do send readings in on a regular basis and the energy companies claim to account for summer/winter spreading the cost over the year - but this never seems true to us.

Ours has just gone up to £270 a month, I am a bit hmm as haven't given them a recent meter reading.
This is for 5 bed detached with some single glazing and some double.
It feels cold but I only have heating on for an hour am/pm.

LadySybildeChocolate Tue 09-Oct-12 20:23:15

£80 a month (40 for each) at the moment, 2 bed terraced, but I've no idea what the bills are going to be. The boiler is brand new, and there's new insulation in the attic. There's also a log burner in the living room, so I'm hoping my winter bill won't be huge.

LynetteScavo Tue 09-Oct-12 20:24:38

My energy company works it out so it's the same every month....don't know how they do it, but they do. So at the moment I'm a bit in credit (about 1 months worth) but hey will knock that off a bit at a time.

I pay about £150 pm for 3 bed semi, double glazing, lots of insulation, but also lots of tumble drying.

Apparently it's better if the boiler doesn't click on an off lots.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Oct-12 20:32:07

Just come off a fixed deal with Scottish power where I was paying £76 a month. Moved to Ovo, £82 a month, price per kw fixed for 12 months as I hear prices are going to rise.

We re in an old 3 bed semi, no cavity wall but lots of loft insulation. Am over £300 in credit so looking forward to the cheque from Scottish power. Thermostat is set to 19. Heating not allowed on in the day even though dh works from home 2 days a week!

We do use tumble dryer a couple of times a week, dishwasher every day.

GockandJuice Tue 09-Oct-12 20:34:42

That seems really low. I paid 62 for both in a two bed flat with just me and my son and it ended up being slightly too much so they refunded me 98 quid but that was just a two bed flat.

gastonthebabyshusher Wed 10-Oct-12 21:34:18

I feel ripped off!
I pay £99 pm for a 2 bed flat with 1 storage heater. It's all electric, I have no dishwasher but the washer dryer is on about 3 or 4 times a week. 2x showers a day.
Have just had an offer accepted on a 4 bed house and was worrying that bills would be massively more but maybe not by the sounds of it.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 11-Oct-12 07:19:48

Dishwashers cost less than washing up by hand.

I don't know why people think otherwise, 12ltrs of water is less to heat than 60ltrs.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 11-Oct-12 07:26:32

I've seen such really high figures of water consumption quoted for dish washing before. Not sure I believe them. When I used to wash up I'd fill one bowl with warm, hot water......so maybe 10 litres of water? I'd rinse with cold and as I'm not on a water meter that bit wasn't costing me anything.

curlywurlycremeegg Thu 11-Oct-12 07:28:11

110 a month for duel fuel for a 5 bed 1950's semi. We have wood burners downsatairs so rarely put the hating on as if we leave doors open the heat radiates up stairs. We do have great insulation in the loft as we have recently converted it to a bedrrom and this had made a huge difference, so I would really recommend extra insulation to anyone who is thinking of it.

My concern is the ammount of electric we use, rarely use the gas so most of the 110 is for elec shock, has anyone found any good solutions to cutting down electric useage?

Bunbaker Thu 11-Oct-12 12:01:34

Solar panels.

MirandaWest Thu 11-Oct-12 12:05:08

I'm paying £83 a month for both although changed supplier in may so have been building up a credit balance. I get monthly readings so know that September was about £52. I try not to put the thermostat above 16 during school hours when I'm the only one there although sometimes I put it a degree or two higher. At some point after DC come back from school I put it up to 18.

MirandaWest Thu 11-Oct-12 12:06:49

This is for 3 bedroom semi.

Mandy21 Thu 11-Oct-12 12:14:29

I think that sounds about right - I've been paying £100 per month (to EDF) and at the end of the first 12 months, got a rebate of about £350 and its now down to £75 per month. They should base your payments on your annual consumption divided by 12 months, so you shouldn't have to pay more during winter. You can ask your supplier (or your old one if you've moved) to provide you with precise usage figures for a full year (i.e. to cover summer and winter) and put those figures into uswitch to see if you're on the best deal.

I agree with others that you should provide regular meter readings, say every couple of months if you're worried that you're not paying enough, or ask them to up your payments by about £10 a month if you can afford it throughout the year so you're always in credit.

I should say £75/ month is for a 3 bed house - we try not to put the heating on in a morning or maybe just an hour if the house is really cold, its on for a couple of hours in the evening (haven't used it yet this year). After that, we use a gas fire just to heat the lounge if its really cold. 3 children at home so washing machine on constantly in the evenings and at weekend, tumble dryer on quite alot, no dishwasher.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 11-Oct-12 18:11:56

When we got our dishwasher our water bill went from £50-£60 a quarter to £30 and the electric (we were all electric) nearly halved.

Mine only uses 1kwh and 9ltrs for all the days dishes.

LadySybildeChocolate Thu 11-Oct-12 20:20:44

I have a thingymebobby boiler, it only heats the water when I turn on the hot tap, so never heats a whole tank. Dunno if these are cheaper to run. confused

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 11-Oct-12 20:49:25

It's very expensive to heat water from cold to 60-70c, I think this is why mils bill is so high. They don't have a hot water tank either.

Which and good housekeeping magazine have tested both and dishwashers came out as cheaper.

derekthehamster Thu 11-Oct-12 20:55:26

£63 a month for a 3 bed mid terrace. I'm hoping it's not going to go up, as we switched in May, and I used the previous years consumption, so hopefully that would have included the winter months.

Dishwasher on daily, small tumble dryer about 5 days a week during the winter.

ColinFirthsGirth Thu 11-Oct-12 23:50:19

We pay £36 a month for both. We lived in a 3 bed semi, have gas central heating and I am in most of the day.

ColinFirthsGirth Thu 11-Oct-12 23:51:34

and meant to add that we are in credit

Brycie Thu 11-Oct-12 23:54:36

Ours is 100 to 150. Halogen heaters are really cheap if you want to turn off radiators in some of the rooms. 9p a day. We've got two, as well as central heating. At the moment we just build a fire in the evening but I know what you mean - it won't be long. Have you been on uswitch?

Brycie Thu 11-Oct-12 23:55:27

Who are you with? Or do you not want to say. Gas prices going up tomorrow.

HappyOrchid Thu 11-Oct-12 23:57:39

£176 per month - 4 bed detached and I will not be cold in my own home, so heating has been on pretty much constantly all year.

Brycie Fri 12-Oct-12 00:02:30

this year I think I'm going to try turning it down five degrees and see if the family notices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now