Cornerstones competition

(9 Posts)
abster76 Wed 27-Feb-13 19:53:42

I've seen this comp advertised too, and though the £10 is steep, it depends if you want the prize, which is a free critique of your work. If you are thinking of paying for a critique anyway, then it's worth having a go to see if you can win it - £10 for a prize worth £400+ isn't bad if you compare to comps for short stories which are £4 or £5 for a £150 prize. smile

Punkatheart Fri 22-Feb-13 20:21:21

Poor.

Avoid.

TunipTheVegedude Fri 22-Feb-13 17:00:15

Oh right! That's pretty awful!

mamaslatts Fri 22-Feb-13 16:25:38

Tunip they take 10% of any advance from publishers/agents and then agents will also take their cut. Apparently, this is standard practice for this literary agent if they manage to get a ms a publisher. They offer a consultancy service so pre agent if that makes sense?

TunipTheVegedude Fri 22-Feb-13 14:35:04

I agree with LadyMary. I've seen similar entry fees for poetry and short story competitions run by small presses or literary magazines - ok, fair enough, they're never going to make any money otherwise - but I don't really see where the benefit is in entering this rather than just submitting in the normal way.

Though I did take it to mean just that if they take you on you will pay them the usual 10%, not that you will pay 10% plus another 15%.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Thu 21-Feb-13 23:06:27

There's a lot of people who would love to see their work published out there. I wouldn't enter this, any good agent would help as part of their fee if they thought your ms was a good one.

mamaslatts Thu 21-Feb-13 23:01:24

I did think for the prize they were offering, it seemed a bit much. They are only offering to look at your manuscript and suggest revisions if you win. They are a respected literary agency though so I wondered if I was being a bit unrealistic. I've never seen a fee of £10 for a competition tho, seems steep for admin costs. They are offering 2 prizes (adult and children's authors) which they say are worth £400 each. I'm sure quite a few people will still enter meaning they will make a profit.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Thu 21-Feb-13 21:25:35

10% and a £10 fee? Shocking! The agent will take around 15% of the advance as well, so would leave the writer with very little. There are loads of other opportunities, you can submit to any agent without them and keep the £10 and the 10%.

mamaslatts Thu 21-Feb-13 11:04:06

Not sure if this is worth entering or not. The fee is £10 and you can win a brainstorming session with a literary agent so no guarantee of publication/representation. Agents are sitting on the panel and if one picks you up, Cornerstones also take the usual 10% of any advance in royalty. It seems heavily stacked against the author although you could at least improve your manuscript and maybe get representation. Any thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now