Positive OPK can mean a BFP??

(17 Posts)
1moretime Fri 30-May-14 09:46:14

Hi.
I have been doing alot of research into ovulation tracking & bbt. I have pcos so trying to find the best way to see if i do actually ovulate.

Anyhow while researching i came across a post where a few ladies had very light or dark lines on a opk test while in their 2ww. It then turned into a BFP on a hpt!!
There was a site i found where 2 ladies done an experiment after knowing they had ovulated by charting their temp. Then from 4-5dpo they done opk test each day & posted the pics. You can see the line getting darker & darker each day. Then at 13-14dpo tested Positive on HPT.
I found this fasinating, so i guess the opks can detect hcg aswell as lh surge???

Whats your views? Anyone tried this? X

hanflan Fri 30-May-14 10:40:37

I tried it last month! On around 8dpo I did an opk, and got all excited when a line came up. It wasn't a "positive" as the line wasn't as dark as the control line. Did it over the next few days and the line stayed the same. Turns out it was completely normal for that stage in the cycle. Got all my hopes up for nothing haha!
So things I took away from it:
1. Only means something if the line is getting darker over a few days.
2. It has to be a proper dark positive line to give an indication of pregnancy!

But yeah, in summary, opks can be used to detect pregnancy, but use with caution wink

hanflan Fri 30-May-14 10:41:49

Oh and also apparently LH and HcG are only one molecule different from eachother and so the opks can pick up HcG. But it doesn't work the other way around smile

1moretime Fri 30-May-14 10:55:32

How strange eh? I would never have thought of it & couldnt believe what i was reading.
Sorry it didnt turn out to be a bfp for you hanflan but i guess it is a good way to make the 2ww go a little faster ;) or drive ourselves more insane? Lol.
Xx

hanflan Fri 30-May-14 11:00:13

Well it certainly satisfied my poas addiction for a while! smile

jdr1234 Fri 30-May-14 16:53:55

Hi - I just wanted to say I ovulated around May 8th (cycle day 15) and randomly did another opk (clear blue digital) on the 15th May and it was a flashing smiley everyday for a week. I then did a pg test when I was 3 days late on Sunday and I am not 5 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I think the digital dual hormone must of picked up the estrogen rising which is why it was showing good fertility but not peak!

Andcake Fri 30-May-14 17:21:38

Worked for me - I got sick of spending loads on pregnancy tests - had a v irregular cycle! But had 100s of cheap opk! I felt pregnant had had previous mc - opk positive 20 days post ov- next day did proper thing bfp grin he is now nearly 2: grin

1moretime Fri 30-May-14 18:47:55

Wow. How interesting it just shows eh?
I think im about to ovulate next few days...fingers crossed X
If i do, i bet ya can all guess what il be doing over next 2weeks Lol. Xx

1moretime Fri 30-May-14 18:49:39

Congratulations btw jdr grin

willitbe Sat 31-May-14 20:51:10

Beware - some women get a big LH surge just before their period, and so can get near positives just before, which could raise your hopes falsely. See the peeonastick website. You will get a positive hpt before you get a true positive opk, so really a waste of time on both counts!

Instead of testing with cheap opk's, if you have to obsess and test early, then do use cheap hpt's instead. Hope you have success.

trying29 Sat 31-May-14 20:56:26

I just wanted to say, I ran out of hpt and tested on opk at 13 dpo had positive and next day got positive hpt so it can happen!

1moretime Sat 31-May-14 22:22:05

Yeay trying so it can happen smile xxx

1moretime Sat 31-May-14 22:24:43

willitbd thanks for that. I will have a look, i just came across a few experiments that ladies had done post ovulation & it did show that the opk got darker before they got their bfp.

So basically anyone who poas using opk after ov will get a positive anyhow despite being preg or just before af?? Xx

HopefulMum111 Sun 01-Jun-14 17:21:07

It makes sense as I totally confused myself after my miscarriage by having positive ovulation tests for days - and this was at the same time I was having positive pregnancy tests.

impatientlywaiting14 Mon 02-Jun-14 19:40:14

Hi 1More

I tried this last month after I had just got my (sadly short lived) BFP as another poster said they had heard this and my opk turned postive and was actually darker than the HPT test i did at the same time xx

1moretime Mon 02-Jun-14 20:39:35

Awww impatiently sorry hun. I saw you posted on the other thread about your loss :-(
Xxx

hanflan Fri 06-Jun-14 22:38:07

1moretime not even sure if you are still watching this thread, I'm currently 11dpo and got a bfp on both a superdrug and a FRER. So I pee'd on an opk internet strip out of curiosity and only the very faintest faintest line is visible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now