Any other newbies out there???

(258 Posts)
tinaw20 Thu 19-Sep-13 20:41:39

This is all so new & scary to me so just looking for people I can chat to who know as fewof the abbreviations as me and are going through all the same scary stuff for the first time!! Either that or some pro's who don't mind my million questions!!

I'm very early stages as in body still coming off the contraceptive pill so it might be a while til a get my BFP (I do know that one!!) so might need some chums in the meantime!

nappyaddict Tue 08-Oct-13 16:54:52

breakingbadaddict

I am hypothyroid which can go hand in hand with PCOS so I am going to ask my doctor if I can be tested for it.Irregular cycles, not ovulating, bad skin and tiredness are all symptoms so perhaps worth asking your GP about being tested for it as well?

breakingbadaddict Tue 08-Oct-13 17:01:36

nappyaddict thanks for that, I had a laparoscopy in 2009 which showed everything inside as normal, do you know if PCOS can just appear say with age, or are you born with it?

Babcia Tue 08-Oct-13 20:52:11

I don't know if this is a horrendous confession... but I have a calendar on a spreadsheet which counts down to when I can get up the stick, because my company pays 90% for 18 weeks instead of 6 if you've been working there for 2 years by your 15th week before your due date. I just have to get to February, but now my army husband has told me in March he's getting deployed for 9 months on what should be the last Afghan tour. I don't know if we should just start now and take the financial hit of about £7k (my family are all super-fertile so I'm not worried about if I'll actually conceive), or wait potentially another year for him to come back (he doesn't want to miss everything). I don't want to sound like a whiney stereotype at home and go on about how I want a baby but I really want to try sooner rather than later. I'm just very frightened of putting it off for too long. Am I being ridiculous- should I just shut up about it and wait?

RhiBee29 Tue 08-Oct-13 21:10:34

Babcia, I too am putting off TTC so I can gain financially, it's a legitimate concern, I've heard somewhere that babies are expensive smile I'm 30 next year and worried that I've delayed TTC too long but is there ever a right time? Wish sometimes I was a bit more laid back about it all!

msbsleepyhead Tue 08-Oct-13 21:43:04

rah rah rah. this waiting game is hard, isn't it? i've passed the "yellow" day on my ovulation app, but i don't think i've actually ovulated. no ewcm... i can't believe how pressurised i feel not to miss the egg.

also, how amusing that i worried for so many years about getting pregnant... who knew it was actually this hard?!

barmybunting Tue 08-Oct-13 21:56:18

babcia that's a hard decision you are stuck with. How would you and DH feel about being pregnant whilst he is deployed? How well supported would you be if you ended up having to have the baby before he got home or if he had to go back shortly after little one was born?

My Dh has just got back from Afghan. We faced a similar debate in Jan of this year. We had intended to start ttc earlier this year, but then DH was told he was deploying again in June for four months. We were waiting until June with the aim of getting full mat pay for me. But then with the deployment, we decided to wait until he got home as I wasn't overly keen on going through a first pregnancy with him deployed. However, we have now been told he is being posted 10 hours south in Jan for a year. So our plans of mat leave are pointless for me now unless I stay here whilst he moves. After much discussion, we have decided that just isn't right for us, and we are going to move together, start ttc now rather than delaying any more and we'll deal with the financial aspect whatever happens. Our plans haven't quite worked out! If we'd ttc earlier when we wanted to, and not worried about finances or deployment, and been fortunate enough to fall pregnant, ironically, I would have been able to start mat leave and move. The best laid plans!

I guess I'm trying to say, from a similar position about timing, finances and deployment, I wish we had just ignored it all and gone for it when it felt right. You don't know what life will bring, no time is ever perfect so you have to just go with what feels right for you.

Best of luck with that one.

barmybunting Tue 08-Oct-13 21:59:52

breakingbad thank you. Gloopy is exactly how I'd describe this! That's what I didn't get, I thought it had to be clearer. Gloopy and white is what appeared around ov so I'm guessing it is ewcm. Now waiting for any sign in this cycle!

Newlywed2013 Wed 09-Oct-13 02:17:19

Does anyone use any apps on their iPhone to keep track of periods etc? Has anyone got any recommendations? Thanks ladies!
I'm being hopeful that it will be this month and I have a feeling it could be possible! But I know it's prob not going to happen this year! Only had implant out on 24th sept but over the last 6 months periods are starting to return as implant was releasing much hormone! Arghhhh this is enough to drive insane!
:-D

MrsCM8 Wed 09-Oct-13 06:38:42

I'm also a newbie here - 33 and ttc #1. Only had implant out a fortnight ago and now feel massively unprepared - hubby and I just planned to relax and let nature take its course if it wants. But having looked on here, everyone seems far more prepared than me in timings and planning etc. And also am now slightly concerned about age as lots of people seen to be about a decade younger than me! Has anyone who's come off the implant had odd symptoms? For the past few days I've been feeling really lightheaded and very queasy, but only at certain times (mainly afternoons). Did a test last night - I knew the chances of pregnancy were virtually nil and wasn't surprised when it was negative. I just wondered if it might be to do with the implant - does anyone know? Thanks

breakingbadaddict Wed 09-Oct-13 12:00:52

mrsCM8 I'm 30, so not too far behind you! When I came off the pill I had what you describe, I think it's hormones adjusting themselves.
Try and be as relaxed as you can, I'm only stressed now because its been 5 months and I've only had 2 periods. My mind runs away with me, although I'm sure it's perfectly normal.
Best of luck x

Babcia Wed 09-Oct-13 22:37:02

barmybunting I'm not mad keen for it to be honest- I know a couple of girls who've been preggo while their other half was deployed and it's not fun, but saying that his plan when he comes out of the army is to work abroad contracting anyway, so I should get used to the idea. We've also just bought a massive "fixer-upper" house as well (cheap, but needs a lot doing to it), and actually my big concern is having a baby in a house where I wouldn't want them crawling around on the floors, or not having a decent enough kitchen or bathroom (by which I mean "functioning"- I'm not holding out for a designer dream house but having something which was installed after 1970 would be a boon). If we've got enough money to get the jobs done before a baby actually shows up I'll be happy, but DH doesn't want to miss all of the milestones since he missed out on a lot to do with our wedding (he basically turned up 48 hours beforehand and was back running a range in Sennelager 48 hours later) so I guess we're just sick of the army stealing our lives.
Originally DH was only told he was getting a 4 month tour starting in late feb, so the plan was get pregnant around feb time, get the pukey, "nothing much to see here, folks" time out of the way, then he comes back with some op bonus in the bank and it's game on. However, best laid plans and all that- now it's 9 months, but less scary job while he's out there, so could potentially be waiting until this time next year to even start trying, and it just feels like too long to wait. Sounds really selfish I know and I hate myself for even talking like this- I don't just want a little cute baby though, I really feel like our family is waiting for a little person to join us, but I still feel like a baby-mad cliche dickhead. I'm basically a bit shy about coming out of the TTC closet!

Meringuebaby Wed 09-Oct-13 23:28:02

Babica! I am right there with you on the 'too shy to admit I want a baby and we are actively TTC' club! It's mad! Not that I would be discussing it all day, every day. But just genuine admission is totally new for me and I worry people will think I'm baby-mad-dickhead too!
I think the key is to act natural, no one will be any the wiser about the craziness in our heads!

I should confess that POAS on Tues AM. It was a BFN unsurprisingly, still awaiting first none pill period. But happily dtd regularly since mid Sept so kinda had a teensy hope! Ha! Foolish woman!

Hope everyone is all good

Reeo Thu 10-Oct-13 00:44:08

Hi every1 im new on here. Ive been ttc since i had a miscarriage at 15wks 9 years ago. I went to the docs about 6 years ago and they wouldnt do any tests he just said to enjoy ourselfs basically. Well i had a scan bk in june which was fine. Ive had 2 lots of day 21 bloods done the first 1 i didnt ovulate and the 2nd 1 i did, im going in the morn for day 24 bloods. My husband had his sperm test and that was fine. We have been referred to c dr on 6 nov and she did say they mite do xray to c if my tubes were ok, im finding it all so emotional and stressful ��

breakingbadaddict Thu 10-Oct-13 09:27:44

Reeo I'm so sorry for how long you have been struggling with this and for your miscarriage, I can't believe the Dr's have left it so long to help! No wonder your are stressed thanks
Do they test for PCOS when they take bloods? Or was that ruled out with the scan? I hope they can pinpoint something and soon to give you the correct treatment for it, you shouldn't have to wait any longer without answers. Wishing you all the best & big hugs to you xxx

barmybunting Thu 10-Oct-13 21:29:26

babcia What a nightmare it is when plans change due to their schedule. I know exactly what you mean about being fed up about things being controlled by the military. What you say about having just bought a house which needs fixing up and things makes a lot of sense.

I know what you mean about hating to talk about ttc as it feels like you may be coming across as a bit obsessed! I think DH would run a mile if he knew how much it was in my head! But it's only natural once you have decided the time is right I reckon. It's hard to switch it off! What do you think you are going to do?

NobodyPutsMyBabyInTheCorner Thu 10-Oct-13 21:56:28

Barmy and Babcia another Army Wife here.

I would really recommend TTC now if you think you're ready for it.

DH and I put off TTC no1 for a year as we thought it would be too difficult with him away and the possibility of me being pregnant. DD was then accidentally conceived, just before he went which wasn't so bad but perhaps if we didn't stop a year before we could of had a baby, DH wouldn't of missed out of pregnancy and the timing in retrospect would of been better.

Currently TTC no2 and definitely not putting my life on hold this time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is you will get your BFP's when the time is ready (usually the most awkward time) and you will deal with it, why hold off of something you want.smile

MrsCM8 Fri 11-Oct-13 19:05:24

I'm also in the "not telling others we're ttc" club. It feels a bit odd not to be honest with people but tbh also don't want the pressure of everyone knowing. It's a funny one tho - much as I vowed to be relaxed about the whole thing when OH and I spoke about it, I now feel oddly compelled to keep looking everything up about conception on the net - without OH knowing I'm researching it! Anyone else doing the same? Do think this site's really good in terms of being able to talk about all this openly in a way I just don't feel able to with others

barmybunting Fri 11-Oct-13 20:05:34

Hi Reeo, I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. It sounds like you've had to wait a very long time for anything to be done to help you. I hope you get some answers soon. It must be extremely hard to wait this one out.

barmybunting Fri 11-Oct-13 20:09:25

Nobodyputsmybaby I am totally with you on that one. After seeing how some friends have struggled to conceive, I think if you are ready, it's best to just go for it regardless of surrounding life changes approaching etc. (if it would be an ok time for you rather than completely disastrous that is!). I am glad we have just decided to go for it and see what happens, I think we would regret it more if we didn't.

I hope no2 shows an appearance for you soon!

MrsCM8 oh yes to wanting to research it all! In all honesty, I would like a nice timetable... (I am a teacher, I like timetables quite a lot... smile). If only it was that simple! I hate not being able to control things, but I can only imagine that comes more so once you are pregnant so researching and going with the flow seems like a plan to me.

Littlecaf Fri 11-Oct-13 22:23:51

I'm a newbie too! Have been lurking on here but only just registered properly. TTC no.1 been just shagging for a few months. Just getting used to cycles and ovulation signs. Totally different world from what I thought it would be. Fingers crossed for everyone!

Littlecaf Fri 11-Oct-13 22:26:11

PS also find it weird when friend say "are you TTC?" or similar. Whos business is that! And MrsCM8 - totes doing the same as you re conception. Mumsnet defs the best advice so far. Pleased we can discuss all on here without feeling embarrassed!

sittingpretty25 Fri 11-Oct-13 22:57:00

I'm new too! Came off the pill August, had normal af sept, but Im now 8 days late, with two BFN. Had very light and dark spotting earlier this week, but not a true AF... confused.

The more I read about the pills effects, the more I wish id never taken it! And the more obsessed I get. So glad, after reading through, we all feel the same - annoyed, frustrated and constantly on google!!

barmybunting Sat 12-Oct-13 11:39:49

Another one here who wishes I had never gone on the pill! Or that I had paid more attention to how long it could take to get out of your system and come off it a year ago! Oh well, hindsight is always easy...

I'm getting rather impatient for any sign of OV this month. I'm on CD17 at the moment, so not too bad, but given that my last cycle, I eventually ovulated on CD43, I'm really hoping it doesn't take that long! That and the fact that although DH is just home from deployment, he leaves again on Sunday for a week, is home for a week, then away again for 2 weeks. Patience has never been my forte.

Hoping someone on here gets their BFP soon!

tinaw20 Sat 12-Oct-13 16:47:36

Barmy - I'm on CD25 and think I completely skipped ov this month!? Had some of the symptoms but all opk's were negative! Have given up ttc this month and think I'll just need to wait & see when my af turns up! Hopefully sometime between 30-35 days! How did u know u o'd so late? Did u take a test?

Breakingbadaddict Sat 12-Oct-13 17:06:15

I don't think I'm ovulating either, just finished AF & bought a clear blue ovulation kit, this is the first month I'm temping so will have to rely on CM to try & decide when to test, also ordered some cheapy opk's from eBay with a view to testing everyday this month!
Just been B&Q & saw some cute wallpaper for a nursery, I don't know why I bother looking, just curious I guess...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now