OPKs and timing and luteal phase help please

(30 Posts)
Sparkle9 Sat 14-Sep-13 10:42:15

Finally got a positive OPK yesterday which was CD27. DP and I BD late last night. Timing-wise is that okay? Should we DB again tonight or tomorrow maybe? I'm a bit confused about when OV actually happens.

My cycles have been irregular since coming off the pill but I had a positive OPK on CD23 last time and a blood test confirmed ovulation. This cycle I had an ultrasound on CD20 that showed a dominant follicle so I'm fairly confident that although it's late at CD27 this OPK is a true positive.

My luteal phases have been on the short side. Around 7-9 days. Any advice on how to give this OV the best chance of actually resulting in conception?

I have a GP appointment in a week to discuss my ultrasound, blood tests and short luteal phase (if this cycle is the same).

babyrose Mon 16-Sep-13 20:11:03

Got a positive on cd12 with Tesco opk's but flashing smiley up til 17. I think I might just stop taking them.

VJONES1985 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:22:01

I think it depends on your body. I'm on 100mg daily and I ovulated a few days ago according to opks, cm and cp. So you haven't had a positive opk, only flashing ones?

babyrose Mon 16-Sep-13 18:18:26

Does anyone think 50mg is too much to stop ovulation?

I got a positive opk on cd12 with Tesco own and low fertility on clear blue on cd 13 but flashing smiley til cd17 and I stopped cos I had the cold and was run down didnt want to waste anymore that cycle. I keep thinking I've not ovulated this month and beginning to think b6 is stopping it?

Sparkle9 Sun 15-Sep-13 22:13:04

Paler OPK today - probably a negative but it was hard to tell. Fingers crossed OV happened... And hope my LP is longer!

VJONES1985 Sun 15-Sep-13 12:23:20

Yes, dtd for the last three days and will carry on for another three probably, in case ov has been delayed. I had some ewcm so I really hope it happened.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 15-Sep-13 10:59:42

I'm looking forward to telling my husband.'s parents the most - it will mean so much to them!

That's positive about the change to your OPK - did you get lots of DTD in over the previous few days?

VJONES1985 Sun 15-Sep-13 10:52:53

Oh, and don't forget to let us know tomorrow how it goes when you tell your mum, writer!

Just had a negative opk after a 48-hour positive. Hopefully that means I ovulated! Cervix was soft, high and open yesterday and less so today.

VJONES1985 Sun 15-Sep-13 10:16:18

Ha ha, yeah perhaps! I guess the accidental pregnancies whilst on the pill just make me feel even more frustrated but there's not much I can do about it now. Just wish I'd known all of this when I first started taking it when I was 16.

VJONES1985 Sun 15-Sep-13 10:14:44

Am jealous of the teacakes!! Here's to a new 9-month goal, then! smile

Writerwannabe83 Sun 15-Sep-13 10:14:35

Well I really hope you do fall by Christmas grin I told my mom the other week that me and my hubby weren't even going to start TTC until Christmas (she was driving me mad by keep asking about babies) so she will get the shock of her life when I announce the pregnancy this Monday smile

I can see why you'd be hopeful considering all your friends stories, you never know, their hyper-fertility may rub off on you? smile

Writerwannabe83 Sun 15-Sep-13 10:11:51

Sun? None of that here - I am tucked up in bed in my big dressing gown with a plate full of hot, toasted tea cakes whilst it rains outside smile

Not quite as healthy as your morning smile

VJONES1985 Sun 15-Sep-13 10:11:01

Writer - I have a 'pregnant by Christmas' goal in my head currently but perhaps I need to move that back a bit.

I'm happy for my friends who fall pregnant, but listen to this - my best friend (who has endometriosis) fell in 5 months, another came off the pill and fell in 1 month, one fell pregnant after missing the pill for a week and another two have just accidentally got pregnant when they had unprotected sex...

So as you can see, I'm surrounded by fertile people who made me think it was very easy, ha ha!!

VJONES1985 Sun 15-Sep-13 10:06:53

Thanks :-) it may not seem like it but I'm much less stressed about it this month. Last month, I ov on cd18 and got my period (albeit very early) so that's kind of made me think I'm at least heading in the right direction.

I guess I'd better finish my cuppa and go out for a run soon, looking at the sun outside!

Writerwannabe83 Sun 15-Sep-13 10:05:19

You never know how long it took some of the women to get pregnant, even if they say it need quickly you can never tell if that's the truth. I was talking to my friend yesterday who got married last year and she said she was wondering when she should come off the Pill as her and her hubby have been talking about TTC. She said they ideally don't want a baby until the end of next year so I advised she just come off it now. Sods Law she will get pregnant straight away now smile She was telling me about a woman she works with and it took her 2 years to get pregnant - but I'm guessing there were other factors involved than just the Pill. A woman I work with has got 2 children and she used to be of the Pill. It took 9 months to conceive her 1st baby and 7 months to conceive the next.

I'm not saying all this to scaremongering, but just to help you see it is the reality of trying to conceive after then Pill. You may be lucky and conceive next month, or you may not. Perhaps you just need a new frame of mind? Tell yourself to that it is unlikely you will conceive for 9 months, just relax, let your body sort itself out and remove all the pressure. That way you want be getting upset each month or trying to think of all the things you could do to hurry things along, and then imagine how over the moon you would be if you did fall pregnant within 9 months? grin

I just hate to think of you getting yourself wound up and frustrated x x

Tea1Sugar Sun 15-Sep-13 09:59:45

You have an 85% chance of conceiving naturally within a year. Hold on to that.

VJONES1985 Sun 15-Sep-13 09:54:57

Thanks everyone. I just find it hard being surrounded by pregnant people, ha ha! But everyone on this forum knows that feeling so that's why coming here to let off steam is a good idea sometimes. Okay, the b6 stops today then! Don't know if it's linked but I've had lower back ache for a few days now so perhaps that will go away too :-)

Writerwannabe83 Sun 15-Sep-13 09:49:14

The Pill has stopped it from "doing what it should be doing" and prevented all sorts of hormonal actions taking place, so you need to give your body time to figure itself out again at its own pace. Things will sort themselves out but your poor hormones have been altered about whilst on the Pill and as Tea said, putting more drugs into your body that can affect your cycles before things have normalised may just make it worse. You know that it can take months to conceive after coming off the Pill and so have some more patience, don't drive yourself mad, and have faith that left to its own devices your hormones and cycles will sort themselves out x x

VJONES1985 Sun 15-Sep-13 09:39:11

No, you're right. I've been off it six weeks and had a 7-dat lp last month so the control freak within me went out and bought b6 supplements. Think I'll stop for the time being... I just hate thinking that my body's not doing what it's supposed to. Perhaps I need to have more faith in it.

Tea1Sugar Sun 15-Sep-13 09:27:21

Sorry to have burst your bubble vjones! Hopefully coming off it will make ovulation happen. But haven't you recently come off the pill or am I confusing you with someone else? If you are there's no need to take b6 at all so soon as your body needs to adjust naturally. It'll only confuse it more.

VJONES1985 Sun 15-Sep-13 09:07:38

Hmm, a quick Google search reveals that you are right, Tea... I've had three days of positive opks so far and perhaps this has been caused by the vit b6. Am going to stop taking it today in the hope that ov will then happen.

VJONES1985 Sun 15-Sep-13 08:52:46

Tea - I thought that was only agnus castus?

Tea1Sugar Sun 15-Sep-13 06:23:11

Careful with b6. Yes it can lengthen your lp but a high dose of 100mg can actually prevent you from ovulating.

Sparkle9 Sun 15-Sep-13 01:53:06

I was tracking my BBT up until the last cycle but, to be honest, it was getting me down. The last cycle include a positive progesterone blood test a week after the positive OPK so I believe this means it's likely I ovulated then. This cycle seems to be the same but I'm worried about a too short LP again.

wispaxmas Sat 14-Sep-13 23:08:06

The only way to be sure about when you actually ovulate is to track your basal body temp. Especially when you come off the pill and your body is readjusting, it's common for your body to gear up for ovulation, have an LH spike and then not ovulate, and later try again. It's one of the reasons you can have such long cycles. If you track your bbt you can see the thermal shift that proves an egg was released and exactly when. Used together with opks it gives you a chance to dtd every day from + opk to the thermal shift and maximise your chances!

Good luck, dtd a few more times for good measure!

VJONES1985 Sat 14-Sep-13 23:02:17

I take 100mg of b6 a day, as 10mg apparently isn't enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now