Newbies and experts

(957 Posts)
justb01 Wed 14-Aug-13 09:19:17

Hi, I'm a newbie here and ttc newbie as well! I'm looking for buddies to share experience. Who's with me?Experts tips always welcome
We've been ttc for fe months, before NTNP. However now I'm starting to feel the pressure for BFP.

VJONES1985 Fri 16-Aug-13 11:31:13

Hi Keden! Well, I had faint opk lines on cd8 & 9 but nothing since then (now cd15) but I have had symptoms which could be caused by several things really! How about you?

VJONES1985 Fri 16-Aug-13 11:32:07

Sorry, cd9 and 10, not 8 and 9...

VickyVix Fri 16-Aug-13 12:06:32

Hi Woodwaj, yes will start 2WW from the fixed smiley and see what happens, it's only my first cycle of trying so I'm fairly sure nothing will happen this month, but who knows! Good luck

onelifeonechance Fri 16-Aug-13 13:28:17

Hi all - please can i join your gang? smile I'm ttc #1 only in cycle 2 but it feels like forever and finding it hard to think of much else (hence MN obsession, helps to know there are others feeling the same - if i spoke to DH about everything i am thinking I think he may start considering a divorce on the grounds of insanity!)

I haven't started OPKing yet but feeling slightly left out about all this flashy, smiley face business - please can someone explain for a newbie like me?? Thanks smile

VJONES1985 Fri 16-Aug-13 13:32:40

Opks are daily urine tests that identify when you are about to ovulate by picking up on a hormone called LH. When you get a positive reading, you know you will release an egg in 24-36 hours so should dtd that day and the next two days, to be sure smile

VJONES1985 Fri 16-Aug-13 13:33:55

But if you don't want to chart your cycle, dtd every two days is the beat way to ttc. There are other ways of telling when you are ovulating as well,of course. Good luck!

VickyVix Fri 16-Aug-13 13:35:04

Hi Onelifeonechance, good to have anoyher person going through the same hing at the same time. the smiley face talk is about the Clear Blue Ovulation Predictor Kit (CB OPK). It indicates when you are at your highest and peak fertility, based on hormone changes (high = flashy smiley and peak = fixed smiley). Peak indicates ovulation and so is a good indicator of when is a good time to DTD. I've found using it a comfort just to know something is at least functioning inside after so long on the pill. Others find them a bit more stressful - See what suits you best. Good luck - and keep us updated!

VJONES1985 Fri 16-Aug-13 13:37:31

I'm currently in the camp that is finding them stressful, ha ha!

onelifeonechance Fri 16-Aug-13 13:50:53

Thanks both - think i may be having a quick look for one of those on Amazon then! Thought i'd be happy just letting nature take it's course but as had BFN with first cycle think it would be good to know something is working as reassurance. If it becomes too much can always take a break from it i suppose. Any top tips on how to use it? Is it just poas? Any time of day better? Thanks again smile

We'll just have to wing it this cycle as I'm already cd10 today and according to the ov calendar nows my time so my DH is hopefully in the mood for a good weekend wink

Good luck to everyone...we'll get there grin

VickyVix Fri 16-Aug-13 14:01:23

Yep, the CBOPK is just a POAS type one, very easy to use. you get 10 sticks per pack, think they do a bigger pack too, I picked mine up in Boots. Fingers crossed you get a BFP this cycle smile

onelifeonechance Fri 16-Aug-13 14:07:20

Thanks VickyVix, wishing you lots of luck too smile Where are you up to in your cycle?

VickyVix Fri 16-Aug-13 14:37:10

Ha well, I don't actually know as I am literally in first month off pill (yes I know I should really wait for first proper cycle but I'm impatient!). Last pill was 30th July so I'm about 2.5 weeks in, just used the OPK to see if anything was kicking back into action and it seems (as of 2 days ago) that it might be which is great, was so worried everything would have stopped after so long. Just going to DTD lots over next week or so and see what happens. Think it would be such a small chance of working this cycle but you never know smile

onelifeonechance Fri 16-Aug-13 14:43:34

Well from my extensive google research on the subject people often say you are more fertile straight after coming off the pill and there is no medical reason of waiting for a period before ttc (other than to help the midwives work out your due date..but i figure if they haven't got anything to work from then they often send you for an earlier dating scan so everyone's a winner!) And as you're getting smiley faces from your OPK it all sounds good for me - get DTDeeding immediately!! grin

woodwaj Fri 16-Aug-13 14:47:07

onelife I was about to say I would recommend Amazon for the Clearblue OPKs however they have increased by £15 since I bought mine just over a week ago!! Its a very expensive obsession! I tend to use them when I expect to ovulate to save money! I can usually tell by my CM when to test

VickyVix Fri 16-Aug-13 14:58:51

Ha ha well, I certainly have my sex drive back ;).
The CBOPK in boots was 18 pounds I think (for the 10 pack) 20 pack is about 30 ish, amazon should be a bit cheaper.

blueamber Fri 16-Aug-13 15:06:38

You're not more fertile after stopping the pill btw. And some doctors recommend waiting for your period to give your uterus the chance to thicken its lining, which is needed to conceive. However, loads of women have had successful pregnancies in that first month.

woodwaj Fri 16-Aug-13 15:16:35

They are on offer at boots atm so its not really any different, I got a 20 pack for £21 last week on Amazon so I am now in shock at the £36 price tag!!

onelifeonechance Sat 17-Aug-13 08:21:11

Thanks for the info woodwaj, I really want to get one. Trying to sit on my hands to stop me buying one this month though as think its too late already as just started the 2ww , but if af turns up instead of bfp then the credit card is coming out!

Any fixed smileys from anyone today?

woodwaj Sat 17-Aug-13 09:30:02

Defo hold out on buying them if you don't need them yet! You will use them if they are there and then regret it! Ha! No fixed for me today but another flashing smiley!!

onelifeonechance Sat 17-Aug-13 09:42:31

Your OH is enjoying his weekend then wink

woodwaj Sat 17-Aug-13 18:15:25

Id like to say he is, but I am full of a cold! I think he is trying to avoid me! ;)

woodwaj Sun 18-Aug-13 09:08:24

Day 5 of smiling OPK! Hurry up fixed!!!

onelifeonechance Sun 18-Aug-13 10:54:36

Tomorrow, I can feel it in my waters wink

VickyVix Sun 18-Aug-13 11:15:24

Day 4 of the flashing smiley for me, DH has had a good weekend though smile hoping it's a fixed one for both of us tomorrow woodwaj!!

MrsB2013 Sun 18-Aug-13 17:14:54

Hi ladies

Newbie here! I'm 32 and DH is 31, TTC for the 1st time on Cycle 1!

Have been on the pill for the last 12 years but came off it end of July and had normal withdrawal bleed. No idea what my "normal" cycle will be, but was 28 days on the pill. Used to be 28-30days before going on the pill, so will wait and see what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now