How long did it take to conceive DC2?

(47 Posts)
argylesocks Sun 28-Apr-13 16:54:25

I know obvs everyone is different but I just don't know what to expect this time around. DS was a 'surprise' so I've never TTC before.

We're now trying for #2 and I really thought it would happen right away. It's only been 5 months but I'm just curious how long is common to TTC before success.

I shouldn't get impatient just yet but I just want it to happen already!

argylesocks Sat 04-May-13 18:30:20

Congrats choco that's great news!

Restorer Sat 04-May-13 18:29:13

2 months. Took 9 years for DS1!

piprabbit Sat 04-May-13 18:15:45

2 years of trying, a MC, an ectopic pregnancy, a diagnosis of endometriosis which was blocking my one remaining tube, one round of IVF.
DS finally arrived 4.5 years after his big sister.

LifeOfPee Sat 04-May-13 18:12:15

18 months of not using contraceptives with a M/C at 12 months. Doesn't sound so long or unusual when written down but at the time it was disappointing, stressful and difficult.

However, he's 3 weeks old now and asleep on my chest. smile It's worth it when it works.

Good luck. smile

BNmum Fri 03-May-13 07:59:32

congrats chocoloulou33!

chocoloulou33 Fri 03-May-13 06:20:56

Got my BFP this week after 8 months. With dc2 it took 4 months so twice as long x

EugenesAxe Fri 03-May-13 06:13:48

Two cycles. DC1 was one. I know someone who went from a one cycle conception to about twelve cycles though, so there's no hard and fast rule!

Chubfuddler Fri 03-May-13 05:58:17

3.5 years but 2 early mcs in between.

argylesocks Fri 03-May-13 05:56:46

Wow those are some positive replies! Now we're on to month 7 just in time to go on holiday at my parents house! Not good timing but I'm not willing to skip a month smile DS is turning 2 in next week!

mrsyattering Wed 01-May-13 23:30:46

six months with dd smile a quickie with dsshock wink 2 year age gap

Exhaustipated Wed 01-May-13 20:39:18

DC2 was conceived after one single instance of 'trying' blush
Was quite a shock. DC1 took 6 months and I was expecting similar.

lotsofcheese Wed 01-May-13 20:31:47

I've never been more than 3 months trying - at age 40! However, DD was 1 year in the making, due to 2 m/c (one of which was a molar pregnancy & required a 6 month break from TTC).

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Wed 01-May-13 20:27:13

DD1 3 months
DD2 1 month

RugbyWidow7 Wed 01-May-13 20:23:12

Watching with interest. We conceived ds month one but now month 5 ttc number 2! Feels stressful having not expected it to be this way. I am using the pee sticks and it seems to tell me I'm ovulating a good few days before I get all the pains - when it says I'm not ovulating. It's so confusing! I'm usually so regular and this month my cycle was 5 days shorter. Wtf!! Before ds 1 I knew exactly when I was ovulating and when to expect af etc. no idea what's going on.

crazyhead Wed 01-May-13 20:05:08

DS1 (now 17 months) first month

Am now 13 weeks with DC2, based on DTD once during the month before we planned to start TTC. There will be a two year gap.

It is really difficult to know when to start trying. I have a full on career and am going to find it really hard to tell work I'm pregnant so quickly - I am the opposite of other posters in that I might have left it a bit longer if I'd known!

But I thought that being 36 and breastfeeding it would take me a while, not DTD once, and planned to start at the first manageable point for my life. And then I got pregnant even earlier than that....

Fundamentally of course I'm very grateful, but it just shows how random the whole thing is!

MolotovCocktail Tue 30-Apr-13 18:50:20

Argh, fuck!

its autocorrects' fault!

<tries again>

charliebeth

MolotovCocktail Tue 30-Apr-13 18:49:00

Charlie ETH, sorry

Molotov needs to proof read!

MolotovCocktail Tue 30-Apr-13 18:47:58

Charlie ETH, please could you say more about your body 'stalling'? Did you ever find out why that happened?

To this day, I still don't know why it took so long to conceive dd2, and even more of a mystery is why Clomid worked on the 6th cycle.

I'm just wondering if my body did the same.

charliebeth Tue 30-Apr-13 13:09:20

Hi.

DS1 was 2-3month without contraceptives.
DS2 was harder coz my body "stalled" - 9m with no cycle! Went on clomid & caught on 3rd month
DS3 was 3m without contraceptives

BNmum Tue 30-Apr-13 12:52:25

This is a really interesting thread, I'm also ttc #2 and dc1 has just gone 2. I'm experiencing a low stitch on side and increase on cm so sounds like I could be ovulating by what others had said. I was hoping to take things easy but I'm already feelin impatient and it's only first month!! I'm wondering if you're right amazingmum and its just my body telling me to get preggers. Now we're ttc I can't actually believe I managed to hold out his long. Good luck op!

Currently pregnant with dc2, took 10 months of trying. Longer than I thought it would as feel quite quickly with ds.

chickabilla Mon 29-Apr-13 15:45:38

DS1 - 6 months
DS2 - about 18months - went to doc after about 10 months, DH had v low SA and thought could be due to varicocele so he had an op and got BFP 3 months later.
DD - first month of trying.

argylesocks Mon 29-Apr-13 15:23:57

Argh! I just feel silly for it not occurring to me that it would be difficult, because DS was a surprise. He's turning 2 next month so I know it's not a huge time crunch but it seems like absolutely everyone around me is pregnant or has a newborn!

MolotovCocktail Mon 29-Apr-13 10:51:33

'wantsurveyor' wtf?!

'I want a', that should be! blush

MolotovCocktail Mon 29-Apr-13 10:49:56

I'm 30 now; was 26 when dd1 was born and 29 with dd2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now