Just found out about hypothyroidism whilst TTC

(54 Posts)

I got my bfp last and found out we'd had a mmc at the dating scan. Since then I've had a couple of blood tests which have showed ever elevating TSH levels to the point they are sure I've developed hypothyroidism. T4 levels are still just within range.

While of course it is very treatable, I've been feeling pretty gutted because I understand it's an obstacle to conceiving until the meds kick in.

Anyone else find out about/develop hypothyroidism whilst TTC? I would love to hear any stories and also wonder if anyone understand how long it might take for me to be back in with a chance of conceiving. Yes, I'm very impatient!

duchesse Wed 20-Mar-13 14:16:11

Yes, absolutely wait a few months if you can and take a good pregnancy vitamin for that whole while including lots of Vits B.

My miscarriage foetus was anancephalic, which is a catastrophic neural tube defect, and DD3 has a Y shaped sacral cleft, which a very minor neural tube defect. My first three children were absolutely fine and I'd never had any Y sacral cleft issues before.

The only thing I can think is that I wasn't converting food efficiently (because when your body temperature is that low even your own enzymes and digestion don't work properly) and it had left me deficient in various vitamins and minerals.

Welovegrapes Wed 20-Mar-13 14:49:16

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I still feel very sad about the mmc sad

We had karyotyping done on the baby's tissue and the baby was perfect - there were no chromosomal abnormalities, which really makes me suspect the thyroid could have been responsible, though of course we will never know for sure.

minipie Wed 20-Mar-13 14:49:26

that's interesting duchesse. as I said up thread, I had a chemical pg the first month of being on thyroxine and got pg with DD the second month. DD was premature and has a sacral dimple and tongue tie, minor midline defects. So far she seems completely healthy but I do wonder if I should have waited a few months longer for the thyroxine to kick in properly.

HazleNutt Wed 20-Mar-13 22:23:11

What has been said, TSH below 2. Even if not pregnant, most experts now recommend keeping it below 3-3,5, not 5.

And insist on getting your T4 tested as well, TSH does not always give a full picture - my TSH is 0,1 at the moment, but t3-t4 just mid-range.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now