Absent AF, screwed up ovulation, luteal phase defects? Sign in for the all new ttc while breastfeeding thread! BFPs guaranteed!

(1000 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Wed 20-Feb-13 23:28:46

As if ttc wasn't nerve wrecking enough, we like the extra challenge of getting that BFP while still breastfeeding a baby or toddler. While this isn't an easy endouvour, it certainly isn't impossible as many graduates on the previous threads prove.

I'm posting a link here for any newcomers about fertility while breastfeeding.

kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/

Am also wonderig if you'd like to have some sort of stats for the tread members. I'll just start myself.

MrsHuxtable, 29, ttc#2 from April, on pp cycle 4, luteal phase defect

lelton Sat 25-May-13 10:47:17

Hello, I have been signposted to you lovely ladies smile
I am ttc but am still nursing my 24 month old who is a complete boob monster and still nurses throughout the night like a newborn sad He is generally very high needs so am trying to follow his needs in terms of the breastfeeding and our recent attempts at night weaning failed miserably so have given up.
I am yet to get my periods back so looking into agnus castus, which I believe really helped me concieve the first time as I struggled for years with PCOS and Endo. confused

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 25-May-13 13:19:27

Lelton snap on pcos and high need toddler! Welcome to the thread. I'm a relative newbie, but will be going down this road with you as we are dropping feeds too.

Have you read the LLL book, how weaning happens? I got a second hand copy from amazon for a few quid and it is very good for suggesting ways to gently drop bf feeds while meeting your child's needs.

I'm hoping to just cut down a few feeds until periods come back and then keep the last few feeds going. I feel DS still really needs to bf but at 38 I can't wait to TTC sad

DogandBeth Sat 25-May-13 20:41:30

Hello, I joined the thread a few months ago but haven't posted really since I had an early mc in March. Lost heart a bit but thought I'd come back to update as today have had a bfp. Trying not to get too excited as this is the same number of days since last period that I mc'd last time so hoping I make it through today. X

DogandBeth Sat 25-May-13 20:43:08

Good luck to everyone else who is TTC and well done to those who have already managed it btw! X

YonicTheHedgehog Sat 25-May-13 23:17:04

I belong in here. I'm 34 and BFing my 16 month old who is currently behaving like a newborn night and day. First AF appeared at 14 months and I have been stuck in that first cycle ever since and am now on day 50 odd. Been getting patches of ewcm here and there and don't seem to be getting anywhere fast.
I have never had a LP over 5 days even with the help of Clomid so God knows how we conceived last time. I suppose I hoped that my cycle would naturally right itself after having a baby but it appears that breastfeeding might be getting in the way. I don't plan to stop until DD is ready so I'll just have to wait it out.
Great to read about the BFPs though, I was chuffed with the OPs especially.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 26-May-13 06:50:30

Congratulations Beth smile

Hello and welcome Yonic - great hat you are going to bf until your dc self weans smile

YonicTheHedgehog Sun 26-May-13 09:35:47

Thanks WouldBe I just can't stand the screaming when I tell her its all gone so It's easier to let her self wean, I'm all for a quiet life!

Wildwaterfalls Sun 26-May-13 19:25:58

Welcome Yonic! And congratulations Beth, and sorry to hear about your earlier mc.

Well, guess what: AF arrived today!! Received with open arms I have to say after a 9 month wait. Judging by the ovulation pains I felt earlier in the week a luteal phase of only 5-6 days which is a bit rubbish, but at least we're getting somewhere now.

We're doing alright on the dropping feeds front too - now only feeds are 7am and 7pm, plus anything from 0-5 during the night...

PhilPhil Sun 26-May-13 22:25:34

How funny Wildwaterfalls, I was coming to say that AF arrived here yesterday, seems strange to feel so pleased about it! So at least that's the first step... and I haven't fed dd at night for the last 3 nights - to my surprise, she's settled really easily when she's woken, so perhaps I was wrong about her needing it to get back to sleep. I wasn't feeding her at all in the day some days, but I don't want to only have one feed (at bedtime) so I am re-introducing a mid-afternoon feed to make up for cutting out the night ones ... we'll see how it goes...

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 26-May-13 22:28:11

Well done Wild and Phil - great news that your AF has returned smile now on with the TTC in earnest!

Tbh if mine came back they would hear the hallelujahs quite a long way away. DS is 22 months and my last AF was in August 2010 shock

I'm really hopeful because I had ewcm this month and what I thought might be ov pains.

Does anyone know if there is any point in charting when you are bf?

eggsnbeans Mon 27-May-13 03:14:03

Yay for AF returning Wild and Phil (one and only time you'll ever be pleased wink ) although since my AF returned I've not had any further inkling of ovulation, (which is not exactly surprising) so hopefully it's better for you guys! Did you find your supply dropped quite a bit for a few days? Mine definitely did, DD didn't go off the milk, but boobs didn't seem to ever fill up!

Have got some B6 to try this month to see if it will lengthen my LP, although pre-baby the longest LP I'd ever had was 10 days, with spotting from 8 days, so not exactly got a good starting point!

I have been hoping to cut feeds down too, but DD is not interested in eating solids at the moment, which is making it difficult! We currently feed every 3 hours during the day (roughly) with 6 feeds most days, so my plan is to cut back to every 4 hours in about 10 days time (she will be 9 months old!) and drop the 10pm feed a couple of weeks later if all is going well, to see if it encourages her to eat. Does this sound reasonable? I'm obviously not going refuse if she's hungry, but sometimes I wonder if she doesn't want to eat solids because I preempt her hunger (we tend to BF before she goes down for naps and it just fits in quite well with timings!)

WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 27-May-13 07:48:52

Eggs, as she's under one I've been told before that if you cut down bf you need to replace with ff as they still get a lot of their nutrients from bf until they are one. I decided to wait until DS was past one to start dropping feeds in the end.

justhayley Mon 27-May-13 22:38:19

Thanks for the book wouldbe. Will check it out.
I'm now 5 days late grin have eaten like a donkey today feel sick and have tummy pains - all signs of pregnancy and a period so not getting hopes too far up gets off baby naming website

Congratulations on your bfp Beth, and those with returning AF's.

justhayley Mon 27-May-13 23:02:43

Oh aaaaaand iv been having vivid dreams - last night I gave birth to a baby boy called Oliver Alexander lol I can remember exactly what he looked like and everything !

Wildwaterfalls Wed 29-May-13 09:49:03

Ooh justhayley that sounds very promising! Keep us posted!

WouldBeHarrietVane Wed 29-May-13 15:33:43

Fingers crossed, Hayley smile

justhayley Wed 29-May-13 22:25:23

Thanks both - AF now 7 days late. Deciding I'm going to test next Wednesday if it hasn't arrived. Hate having irregular periods, although I'm late I feel like Im not really late because I don't have a usual day I come on anyway.

WouldBeHarrietVane Wed 29-May-13 22:42:48

We are on day 5 of dropping the morning feed, but DS (22 months) seems to be feeding more and more at night sad it could be reverse cycling or just that I believed he slept through because we co sleep and I haven't previously been waking when he feeds.

Really desperate for my AF to return now and this is what happened in the last 24 hours:

Yesterday

Fed at 8pm
Fed at 10 pm
Fed at 2 am
Fed at 4 am
Fed at 5.30 am

I worked all day today so no daytime feeds.

Fed at 8pm again today

He does seem to be eating more solids, so hopefully milk intake over 24 hours is reducing but I can't believe he's still having so many feeds.

From next week he will be having no going down for a nap feeds on the days I work, so 3 days a week will be going 13.5 hours with no milk. Hopefully this will do it!

I'm going to then wait until he's 2 to see if AF comes back and, if not, my plan is to get DH to get DS to bed every night to cut out the first night time feed and see if that helps.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 01-Jun-13 15:24:21

How is everyone doing?

DS is still possibly reverse cycling but now down to feeds at night and his pre nap feed during the day. A few months ago that would have been 3 feeds, but now it seems to be 4 or 5 due to increased night feeding smile Before I thought he was sleeping through!! hmm

Next step is going to be to get oh to do all naps on his days with DS - starting this week, so wish me luck smile

Wildwaterfalls Sat 01-Jun-13 19:23:44

Good luck Harriet! Sounds like the nights are a bit tough - hope you are getting enough sleep!

Done with my first AF so TTC now here, although sleep deprivation is getting in the way somewhat! DD feeds at 7am and 7pm, but also several times during the night at the moment. A triple whammy of teething, a cold and constipation/sore bottom, poor thing.

Any news Hayley?

1Catherine1 Sat 01-Jun-13 21:16:11

Hi all,

Can I join? I have just come across this thread, I'm in my first month of ttc and had my contraceptive implant removed just over a month ago. I had a very small AF a week after and since I was informed that there is no withdrawal bleed for the implant, I took it as a real one. DD is 26 months old and still a complete boob monster. She always has a feed before bed and usually in the morning. When I'm not in work she also has one at nap time.

I've spent the day feeling a little down because I'm on CD29 and showing no symptoms of AF or pregnancy, wondering if I've even ovulated. Right now I would be quite happy to see AF because at least it would be a sign of everything working properly...

Sorry for the massive post but my DH didn't understand and I expect you lot will.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 02-Jun-13 07:05:20

Hi Catherine, welcome on board and fx you won't be here very long before you get that bfp!

Great news that you had even a small AF and hopefully a proper one will turn up soon!

Some good news here - I think the reverse cycling may be slackening off and we are definitely now down to no feeds between 6 am and 1 pm and then no feeds 1.30 until 8pm. Now to drop that middle of the day feed...

justhayley Sun 02-Jun-13 22:13:05

Hi Catherine welcome to the thread.

No news yet Wild smile AF still hasn't arrived, now 11 day late. Although to be honest I don't at all feel pregnant. Am still going to POAS on Wednesday but will quite shocked if I get a bfp

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 02-Jun-13 22:33:45

Haley, hopefully there will be a positive, but even if not it probably won't be too long before you get pg anyway - fx for you!

CountBapula Mon 03-Jun-13 14:04:33

Hello, I popped up on the thread a while ago but haven't posted since. I'm 35 and still feeding 2.8yo DS. DS has been completely nightweaned since 18 mo and we recently cut down to one feed a day (bedtime - 10-15 mins max).

AF came back when DS was 10mo so thought we'd be okay TTC DC2 but it ain't happening. Have charted a couple of cycles now and I seem to O around day 19 or 20 out of 26 sad

Also, my cycles have been different since we started TTC. I'm getting spotting 2 or 3 days before AF arrives but never had that before. I wonder if I'm sort of having a super-early MC each time because there's not enough time for anything to implant.

I've taken 50mg B6 for one cycle but no change, so am going to up it to 100. Wondering whether that'll help, though, because it seems the problem is late O. Have heard about soy isoflavones but not sure you can take them while bf - does anyone know?

This thread is not accepting new messages.