Absent AF, screwed up ovulation, luteal phase defects? Sign in for the all new ttc while breastfeeding thread! BFPs guaranteed!

(1000 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Wed 20-Feb-13 23:28:46

As if ttc wasn't nerve wrecking enough, we like the extra challenge of getting that BFP while still breastfeeding a baby or toddler. While this isn't an easy endouvour, it certainly isn't impossible as many graduates on the previous threads prove.

I'm posting a link here for any newcomers about fertility while breastfeeding.

kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/

Am also wonderig if you'd like to have some sort of stats for the tread members. I'll just start myself.

MrsHuxtable, 29, ttc#2 from April, on pp cycle 4, luteal phase defect

AlexanderinaTheGreater Tue 30-Apr-13 21:02:47

Well, it's good to know there are people out there it does work out easily for Looneymummy.

How is everyone? I should be going mad with symptom spotting at the mo (I think I'm about 7dpo) but work is insane and I'm not having time to think about it, which is good I guess. The small person isn't sleeping well either, so it's all fun and games round here.... Hope everyone else's lives are a bit less hectic.

agendabender Tue 30-Apr-13 21:03:23

How are you all doing ladies? Is anyone on here nursing a child older than two? If so, how frequently do they feed? I'm just looking to hear other people's experiences, not judging (my DS is 2 years 8 months)

agendabender Tue 30-Apr-13 21:04:32

Alexanderina this is probably the only time when it's good for your mental health to be so busy!

AlexanderinaTheGreater Tue 30-Apr-13 21:52:15

This is true....

The small person's only 19 months so I can't answer your question I'm afraid. I'm wondering if she'll ever decide to self-wean, or if I'll end up having to do it because I don't fancy tandem feeding. Assuming I ever get pregnant... She just has a bedtime feed now anyway, so I guess if we do get to 2 years we'll still be on that.

agendabender Wed 01-May-13 11:54:16

I know a few families in which the toddler has self weaned when the mum's milk has dried up in pregnancy. These are all over 2. I know an under-2 who kept feeding and is now tandem feeding, but the colostrum gave her awful runs and a raw bottom. They often increase their feeding around 2 years, by the way. DS went down to 1, maybe 2 feeds a day, then around 2 started feeding like a newborn, and so did all of his friends.

AlexanderinaTheGreater Wed 01-May-13 20:13:11

Hmmm, that'll be fun then (the upping feeds at 2). Although she's at nursery 4 days a week so it's not like she'll have the opportunity that much. I'm not desperate to wean, just wondering if she'll do it or if I'll have to.

AlexanderinaTheGreater Sat 04-May-13 10:36:02

Anyone any good with the mysteries of temping? Early yesterday temp was well down, so figured game over (at 10dpo). Took it again at getting up time (after another couple of hours sleep) and it was that annoying neither up nor down temp (for me). Still figured game over. No sign of period though.

This morning early temp was low, took it again a couple of hours later when I got up and it was high. (Only .2 different, but those temps would usually be clearly up or down at this point in the cycle).

I know in theory it's the one after longest amount of sleep that counts, but that didn't play out yesterday. (Cue thoughts about implantation dips....) But I am kidding myself, aren't I? I'm fully expecting to be back with news of game over before anyone manages to reply!

In cheerier conversation topics, does anyone have exciting plans for the bank holiday weekend? The sun appears to have decided to join us here at last....

MrsHuxtable Sat 04-May-13 14:38:41

Hello,

no news here. Am on CD 22 and have had EWCM since day 12 or so. Think
this will be a long and useless cycle since DD is teething (molars, shudder) and has been a boob maniac. My nipples are raw! I also don't think we dtd often enough so far. Every 2-3 days has been all we've managed.

No exciting plans here I'm afraid. Just working and studying my arse off.

I don't know about the temping Alexanderina. I gave up on that after 2 days as I just wasn't getting enough sleep to do it properly. Hopefully someone else will be ale to help.

AlexanderinaTheGreater Sat 04-May-13 17:29:39

Blergh to molars.

What's the studying? <nosy> <may already have asked and forgotten the answer cos have brain like sieve>

Well the sunshine has buggered off again, but the small person and I did make it down to the farm earlier to see lambs and a baby Highland coo.

AlexanderinaTheGreater Sun 05-May-13 14:43:42

Tis now officially game over, but with LP up another day to 11 so that's good. And I won't have to make excuses for not drinking at a wedding later this month. <looks for silver lining>

agendabender Sun 05-May-13 22:09:10

sorry Alex hope you're ok. You too MrsH. I think we missed the boat on DTD this month, but when AF is due DH will be away for the weekend and my entire (large) family will be staying with me, so inevitably it will be late and I'll have to wait all weekend to test, only to come on on Monday! We haven't told anyone that we'd like another, and I know they'd be pretty negative about it, so I'll have a tidy up before the weekend and hide the pregnancy tests and folic acid! I just know my mum or my sisters would manage to find them!

PhilPhil Sun 05-May-13 22:23:03

Can I tentatively say hello? I've lurked for a long while on this thread and previous ones... currently bf 14m dd, ttc no. 3. I conceived dd while bf ds, (but he was sleeping through the night by 1, dd still feeding once or occasionally twice in the night). ds stopped feeding at about 3 (basically dropped his nap/rest time, and he was only having milk before rest, so he forgot about it) although he did have one feed last week because he asked for it. Anyhow, no AF at all yet, but just wanted to say hello.

Jakeyblueblue Mon 06-May-13 00:03:31

Hi everyone and welcome to all the new recruits!
Haven't been around for a while as have been trying to not obsess about the whole ttc thing..... Needless to say, it hasn't really worked and I'm now 17 dpo with ewcm and have been dtd the last few days so looks like I'm in for another marvellous 2ww. Yawn!!!

Wildwaterfalls Mon 06-May-13 09:08:54

Hi everyone!

Another new joiner - bf DD1 (8m) and starting TTC in a month or so. But no sign of AF let alone ovulation...

Thinking of night weaning as can't wait to have DC2 and although DD1 did not take long to conceive, we had 2 mmcs too.

Anyone have a good night weaning strategy? Have been reading the no cry sleep solution which recommends gradually reducing length of feeds.

Good to see some bfps on this thread! grin

Jakeyblueblue Wed 08-May-13 18:44:49

Well god knows what's going on inside my ridiculous body!! Cd 20, ewcm dried up today but not 100% sure I've ov'd. Usually if I'm not sure, it means I haven't. Did have some ov pain Monday night which would add up why ewcm has dried up but usually the pain is worse and also my nips are still sore, which should have gone now. Think I will dtd again today to be on the safe side and then wait and see if AF comes or ewcm returns. I have had cycles where ewcm came back later in the month and I went on to ov very late.
Why is it so bloody confusing and difficult. Makes you wonder how all the pregnancies on Jeremy Kyle ever occur from just one dtd!!!
How's everyone else getting on?
Oh and welcome to the fold wild water!

MrsHuxtable Wed 08-May-13 20:28:39

I tell you how, Jakey! Those people on Jeremy Vile are about 14 and wouldn't think of breastfeeding!

Feeling a bit ranty myself as you might be able to tell. CD26 here and I feel like AF is on the way. Also no idea if I've ovulated because I'm trying not to monitor it too much and just be relaxed. Fat chance of that. Besides probably still having a crap LP, we also haven't been dtd an awful lot. I reckon AF will make her appearance any day now.

We really need a BPF on the thread to keep us all motivated.

Wildwaterfalls Wed 08-May-13 21:10:48

Thanks Jakey!

Ah, those mentions of CD20 etc make me feel nostalgic about the days when I used to have a cycle! But it must be very frustrating to not be quite sure what is going on re ov and luteal phase. Lots of random dtd!
Really hope that will result in a bfp for someone very soon!

At this end we're just stuck on trying to get AF back... Not sure what the best strategy is. DD still a bit of a milk monster - tends to throw herself at me mouth open when she hungry. Even latched onto my chin on the weekend, has she learnt nothing in 8 months?! grin

So keen to be able to ttc though!

lia66 Wed 08-May-13 21:13:48

Hi ladies.

Well it finally arrived, 2 yrs and 18 days after dd was born. smile

So, had very clear + opk's on day 16. Don't know about any other days as I just randomly tested. Swi ( shagged with intent smile ) on day 17 and that's been it, dh has been working late and had 2 overnight always so not really holding out any hope.

We will see, normal cycle used to be 28 days on the dot, moving to more 30

agendabender Fri 10-May-13 04:05:44

DS cosleeping tonight and woke me up for a feed at 3am. Went for a wee, did a test to know before my family descend for the weekend and DH goes away, and got a BFP. Faint at first, but definite! It can be done!

Wildwaterfalls Fri 10-May-13 07:51:38

Oh wow agenda gringringringrin

Massive congratulations!

You give us all hope!

MrsHuxtable Fri 10-May-13 12:43:06

Congratulations agenda! I'm really jealous. CD 28 here and I feel like af is on her way. This might sound stupid but I'm really struggling with the idea of not falling pregnant on our first cycle of ttc because that's how it was with dd. In my head I know that between the breastfeeding lp mess and the lack in sex it's pretty much impossible to get that bfp but I'm still disappointed. How.ridiculous. Any updates from anyone else?

Jakeyblueblue Fri 10-May-13 18:16:34

Wow congrats agenda! At last some good news! Hope all goes well for you!
No news here, in the 2ww but not really sure when ov'd so just going to sit it out and see when AF turns up. I'm thinking next week sometime.
Try not to stress mrs hux, you never know, stranger things have happened. You may be one of the lucky ones. My AF came back a year ago now and I know its very easy to get sad about it all but we have to remind ourselves of what we've already got. Some people aren't that lucky. If I'm honest, I do breathe a tiny little sigh of relief every cycle that passes that I'm not Preg, ds takes up so much of my time, I sometimes wonder if I must be mad and how I'd cope!
Keep going, it will happen for both of us smile

CountBapula Fri 10-May-13 22:42:48

Hello, can I join? I'm 35 in two weeks' time and still feeding DS, who's 2.7. I didn't mean to feed him for this long - it's kind of ended up this way.

DH and I took a long time to decide to TTC again. I had PND during DS's first year - he cried a lot and never slept - and we weren't sure we could go through it again. We finally decided to go for it and last month was our first proper month trying. I got AF today sad

We've never had an unsuccessful month TTC - the first time, I had an early MC. Then I got pg with DS the very next cycle, without even a period in between. So we kind of expected it'd be the same this time. Am a bit shock to find out bf could be a factor - AF came back when DS was 10mo so I thought all was back to normal. Apparently not confused

DS feeds first thing in the morning, last thing at night and at naptime (fed to sleep). More if ill or tired, but not at night (nightweaned at 18mo).

I had a short LP anyway - 10 days max in a 23/24 day cycle. Looks like it was only 8 or 9 days this cycle. After reading up here I've bought some B6 so hoping that'll help.

So glad I found this thread - was feeling quite sad this morning when AF arrived but it helps to know you ladies are there too. Fingers crossed for everyone thanks

AlexanderinaTheGreater Sat 11-May-13 08:54:35

Excellent news agenda smile Are you going to be able to keep the grin off your face with your family around so they don't suspect, or will you tell them?

Welcome to all the newbies, it's good to have you here.

Nothing to report here - I'm in the dull bit of the cycle where it's not yet time to SWI (I like that acronym lia). About to go away for a few days with the small person leaving husband at home which inevitably means ov will be early and we'll miss our chance this month.

eggsnbeans Sat 11-May-13 10:10:27

Hi can I join you guys? Have been lurking for a while learning what to expect smile DD is 8m and AF has just returned. Never been so glad to see her in my life grin Although i was a little hopeful as I had definite EWCM last month but LP would only have been 6 days sad So now just waiting to see what happens with this cycle. Will probably try some B6 as so many of you have had success with it smile Things had been going quite well in terms of reducing BF and getting DD going on solids, but she seems to have changed her mind recently and now won't eat anything other than milk sad so my recently increased fertility will probably take a nose dive again.

I have always wanted to have DCs close together but it took a long time to conceive DD, so not holding out a lot of hope! Great to see some BFPs here though grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.