Absent AF, screwed up ovulation, luteal phase defects? Sign in for the all new ttc while breastfeeding thread! BFPs guaranteed!

(1000 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Wed 20-Feb-13 23:28:46

As if ttc wasn't nerve wrecking enough, we like the extra challenge of getting that BFP while still breastfeeding a baby or toddler. While this isn't an easy endouvour, it certainly isn't impossible as many graduates on the previous threads prove.

I'm posting a link here for any newcomers about fertility while breastfeeding.

kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/

Am also wonderig if you'd like to have some sort of stats for the tread members. I'll just start myself.

MrsHuxtable, 29, ttc#2 from April, on pp cycle 4, luteal phase defect

Wildwaterfalls Sat 20-Jul-13 22:29:41

Very frustrating for you cakes. I know what you mean re sort of expecting it - I got pregnant really quickly with all three of my pregnancies (DD and 2 mmc) so will be frustrated if it is not the same now.

How is everyone else doing? Any sign of AF Gherkins? And how's the evening feed going eggs?

Still 2ww-ing here. Testing on Thursday if AF doesn't turn up before then. DD having some sort of sleep regression I think and bf-ing half the night frequently.

LithaR Sat 20-Jul-13 23:36:55

I'm doing ok, foolishly tried an internet cheapy tonight but all I got was an evap line. Will teach me to not be impatient!

Still having symptoms so remaining hopeful. Good luck with the wait Wild! Hoping we all get some BFP's soon!

EastBeast Sun 21-Jul-13 08:52:53

Hi ladies, can I join? Sounds like you've had some happy grads from this thread & I fancy some baby dust!

I'm bfing DD who is 10m & have been TTC since my periods returned 5m ago. Keen to have a short gap! I didn't really expect anything straight away but have crazy irregular cycles & feeling a bit disheartened. DD was conceived very quickly so had hoped #2 would be too.

I'm charting like mad & my cycles have been from 20-31 days long. LP has been v short, like 5 days, so started taking vit B6 & the next month was the monster 31 day cycle so hopefully that's worked. But this month I had AF for 11 days plus 7 days of spotting so far - honestly! I'm also using OPKs & they seem to totally disagree with my body signs, I've had positive test sticks for the last 4 days but only creamy CM. Very confused! Worst of all DH has started to feel the pressure so hard to get the BD done anyway... On the positive side my DD has just started to sleep through from her dream feed until 5.30am so hopefully that helps with the hormones. Fingers crossed for all of us! Would love any thoughts from others, even a cheery hello!

Wildwaterfalls Sun 21-Jul-13 09:46:57

Welcome EastBeast! Our DDs are about the same age, and I would also like a short gap! Lucky you with the sleeping through - I'm sure that will really help. Perhaps that and the B6 combined will help with the cycle irregularity.

Litha sorry about the BFN. It's soo tempting to test early isn't it. Hopefully next one will be a BFP grin.

Anyone else stressing about their LOs kicking / standing on their stomachs during 2ww? I'm sure I'm being paranoid as usual as I guess I'm not the first person in the world to (hopefully) combine a pregnancy and a toddler!!

GherkinsAreAce Sun 21-Jul-13 12:31:13

Wild, I really think it could be the heat as DS is also bf constantly at night!! Hopefully we will get a bit more sleep once the hot weather is over. Good luck for testing on Thursday! The kicking is something I asked a friend about - she is pg with number 2 and was joking about how her bump has been poked, rolled on, kicked in a tantrum and all ok smile

You asked about AF symptoms? Well it's do really weird, because I keep having days of ewcm, including the last few days, but I'm suddenly really spotty, so part of me can't help but hope there is a hormonal reason and I am ovulating - probably fantasy blush

Litha, it's so tempting to test - I never managed to wait and with DS I got a first bfp at 10dpo.

East, hello and welcome to the crazy TTC while bf like mad thread grin DH got fed up of the pressure when we TTC DS too - in the end I found ways to distract him and make it seem less mechanistic iykwim blush hopefully your body is just settling down and things will get back to a more regular pattern soon.

see my poor dh was hoping for lots and lots of ttc sex last time but only got a month. This time he's just pathetically grateful for any sex whatsoever I think!

eggsnbeans Mon 22-Jul-13 04:51:37

Hi and welcome to the newbies! smile It's always good to have more BFPs to cheer on for! My DD is a similar age to yours East! Are your cycles still irregular? Mine are still pretty crazy!

hmm at 7 patches of EWCM since May Gerkins! Hopefully this will be 'the one' as you've spaced out feeding so much more now! So frustrating though just waiting when your body is giving you plenty of signs! And spotty is promising too! I got that just before AF came back, 1st spots I'd had since pre-preg!

How many dpo are you Wild? I don't worry too much about DD kicking my tummy yet as everything's nicely hidden in the pelvis for 8w or so, but I would after that!

BF is still a bit difficult for us, thankfully DD has stopped the crazy nipple thing, but still really struggling to get her to feed. She has a real strong preference for my left side (better boob, better flow) and when I offer the right side just pulls off and sucks her thumb. hmm I've started doing the bedtime feed straight after dinner, in case she's too tired then (she totally goes into shut down mode when we put her jamies on smile ) and that did help yesterday. I'm seeing my HV tomorrow, so will ask her too. I'm hoping it's just hormonal confused

Well I seem to be gearing up to ov even earlier this month grin so maybe it's down to the B6? Have EWCM and cramping today so FX will ov soon. Poor DH has been working really long hours last week and would otherwise collapse in bed, but we managed to DTD yesterday, and hopefully tomorrow too. blush Have been eating grapefruits too to increase EWCM as I had hardly any last month. Seems to be helping!

ByHecuba Mon 22-Jul-13 13:50:19

Hello everyone, I'm new to the thread but I've been lurking for a while. Mind if I join you?
Have a 14mo DD who still feeds a few times a day and a couple of times at night. Had three cycles since AF came back but last one was 38 days and I'm only half sure now that I Ov-ed.
Am hoping to regulate my cycles enough through generally trying to be as healthy as possible and hopefully have a BFP by the end of the year.
Blue, your description of your son's bedtime meanderings could have been written by me!
Thankssmile

mamapants Wed 24-Jul-13 19:54:27

Hi everyone. Can I join you? Or rejoin you. I joined a while ago then me and DP got cold feet and decided to wait a bit
longer before ttc no.2. In the meantime I think its all new faces. Fx for you all.
We have one DS who is now 1 year old. AF returned when he was 5mths old and I seem to have a massive 39 day cycle.
We haven't been using contraception for last 5 or so months -but not having that much action either- and nothing so far.
DS was conceived first month of trying so think we need to be a bit more organised this time. So am armed with some cheapie OPK and am testing but not expecting a positive anytime soon at cd.16. Getting impatient though.
Think I've got the hang of the abbreviations as have been reading the 15pages on the thread over the last couple of days. Am trying to remember you all but seems there are a lot of us!

GherkinsAreAce Wed 24-Jul-13 20:17:36

Eggs did your HV have anything helpful to say about the bf? Hopefully it has calmed down a bit now it's not quite so hot? do you think you have ov yet? What you said about spots being a good sign really cheered me up - thank you smile

Hi Hecuba and mama welcome to you both and good luck for a bfp - good to hear AF has come back for you!!

Lots of lucky dc on this thread still being bf!

Here same old same old and DS now has to have grommets and has been diagnosed with significant hearing loss. DH and I feel that the run up to the op and when he is recovering is not the time to night wean him, so I won't be dropping any more feeds for a month or so. So I will just have to hope AF is on its way and will come back even if I'm still feeding 3 times a night!!

GherkinsAreAce Wed 24-Jul-13 20:18:35

Wild, meant to ask, are you still testing tomorrow, or did AF show up yet? Keeping fingers crossed for you!

junebaby2011 Wed 24-Jul-13 20:37:00

Think AF may have returned just now after 25 months and 15 days.. Some blood tinged mucas..Even though DD has been feeding more than ever, including hourly overnight.. Am still in shock!!

GherkinsAreAce Wed 24-Jul-13 20:42:46

June, I am so so pleased for you smile you must be very surprised - presumably that means it's time you've seen AF since 2010?

Congratulations iykwim grin

junebaby2011 Wed 24-Jul-13 20:59:20

Got BFP for DD in September 2010- so nearly three years since AF!!

GherkinsAreAce Wed 24-Jul-13 21:00:49

Wow grin I got my bfp in October 2010, so almost a month after you and am hoping for some of your AF luck to run off on me this month gringrin

mamapants Wed 24-Jul-13 21:15:51

Thanks for the welcome. Gherkin
Wow 3 years without AF, crazy.
I feel a bit hard done by I only got 5months post birth although I guess that's better than waiting for it to turn up if it means delays conceiving.
Hopefully having taken longer to come back everything will be in full working order and you will get a BFP right away june

Wildwaterfalls Wed 24-Jul-13 21:21:46

Welcome Hecuba and mama, nice to have you on the thread!

So sorry re your DS and hearing loss Gherkins. Poor little thing. I understand that night weaning is not ideal right now, sounds like he will really benefit from the comfort. Hope you are getting enough sleep though.

Still planning to test tomorrow although somehow don't think it has happened. But the longer AF stays away the better for my LP I guess. It is a bit annoying to have long cycles though.

eggsnbeans Thu 25-Jul-13 05:15:37

Welcome Hecuba and welcome back mamapants. smile Great news on AF (potentially) starting June!

I think yesterday was ov day smile so am now expecting AF next Thursdayish (based on previous LPs anyway). Any later than that is a bonus!

Did you test today Wild? how many dpo are you? All my FX for you! Is DD sleeping again? I think 10-12m is so full of developmental leaps it's not surprising they can't sleep hmm

So sorry to hear about your son Gherkins. Is his hearing loss due to the fluid build up or something more than that? How long till he has the grommett surgery? A friend's daughter had it done about a year ago and has made a huge difference so hope it's the same for your DS.

HV had nothing useful to say about bf sad Gherkins, she thought it could be because she is a bit ill? She has had a bit of a cough for a couple of days but nothing more. So yesterday she didn't feed after 10.30am shock had a tiny bit (about 5 sucks) mid afternoon then gave up so I offered some bm I (expressed the night before to relieve my sore boobs) in a bottle and she drank that. She has always flatly refused bottles so must've been hungry! Then bed time was back to not feeding again. So I'm really hoping it's hormonal and will come right soon. I had been wondering if she's self weaning, but would be a bit early I think. Has made me realise I really don't want to stop bf yet anyway smile .

Wildwaterfalls Thu 25-Jul-13 08:31:37

Ooh eggs ov day yesterday - hope you managed lots of SWI in the lead-up!

Well, bfn here this morning which I had kind of prepared myself for. The strange thing is, over the last day or so I've had no symptoms whatsoever, not of pg but also not of AF coming. Very odd. It's making me (silly) hope that maybe it was too early to test due to my short LP. Anyone know if you can get a negative result 10dpo and still be pg? Clutching at straws I know...hmm

GherkinsAreAce Thu 25-Jul-13 08:44:23

Reading in haste as have to take DS to a group. This is what you need Wild:

www.fertilityfriend.com/Faqs/Early-Negative-Pregnancy-Test-Before-a-Positive---Stats-Study.html

Will post properly later smile

Wildwaterfalls Thu 25-Jul-13 13:03:34

Thanks Gherkins that's an interesting link. I can't quite bring myself to give up hope yet. Will test tmw and Saturday but then we're off on holiday so will try to relax about the whole thing...

skylark101 Thu 25-Jul-13 19:35:09

Hi there, I posted a month or so ago as i was over the moon to finally get a BFP while BF-ing my 23 month old. Just found out today (10.5 weeks) that I probably had a MMC a few weeks ago. I have to go back in a week for a scan to check but today no heartbeat and much smaller than shd be right for my dates. Trying to stay positive but inevitably I'm v sad. Im pretty sure that it would be nothing to do with BF-ing. But thought people on this thread might know more about that angle. My DD has been feeding a lot in recent weeks. I so wanted a little brother or sister for my DD when she is two or so and was longing for this baby. Even if i conceive again quickly (and Im 40) the gap will be longer. Help me stay positive! And sending everyone BFP vibes.

musicalmrs Thu 25-Jul-13 21:04:15

Hi! I'd like to tentatively join you, if that's ok? I'm currently BF-ing my 14 month old, and would like to start TTCing in the next couple of months. No signs of AF yet, and I had a BFN a few weeks ago (didn't think I was pregnant but was mentalling over symptoms!), so need to kick my body into gear..

So sorry to hear about your MMC skylark. I hope you have lots of support and are feeling as well as you can.

Wildwaterfalls Thu 25-Jul-13 22:22:09

Oh skylark I am so sorry. That is incredibly tough. Sending you hugs. Whatever you do please do not blame anything you did, including bf. I did quite a bit of reading on this a while ago and it seems there really is no link at all between bf and mc. Thinking of you and please stay on the thread if you feel up to it.

Welcome musical - and good luck!

eggsnbeans Thu 25-Jul-13 22:46:01

So sorry to hear that skylark. sad MC is so devastating, but was nothing to do with the BF (I did heaps of reading too!)

Sorry about BFN Wild. There's def a big chance of false negs before 14dpo, There's some statistics floating around MN somewhere but something like 30% don't get a bfp at 10dpo, and 10% don't get a bfp at 14dpo. So it's never over until AF arrives smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.