Absent AF, screwed up ovulation, luteal phase defects? Sign in for the all new ttc while breastfeeding thread! BFPs guaranteed!

(1000 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Wed 20-Feb-13 23:28:46

As if ttc wasn't nerve wrecking enough, we like the extra challenge of getting that BFP while still breastfeeding a baby or toddler. While this isn't an easy endouvour, it certainly isn't impossible as many graduates on the previous threads prove.

I'm posting a link here for any newcomers about fertility while breastfeeding.

kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/

Am also wonderig if you'd like to have some sort of stats for the tread members. I'll just start myself.

MrsHuxtable, 29, ttc#2 from April, on pp cycle 4, luteal phase defect

PhilPhil Sat 15-Jun-13 22:23:23

Yes, I fed ds while pregnant with dd (although only 2 feeds a day, down to 1 a day by the time she was born). I couldn't bear to stop because it was the only way I could get him to keep napping - and I really needed an afternoon nap while he slept! I then sort of tandem fed, and guess I still am - ds just feeds occasionally (earlier I posted that he had stopped, but he started again!). But ds was only feeding once a day when dd was born, so I didn't feel like a really proper sort of tandem feeder!

skylark101 Sun 16-Jun-13 10:07:50

Hi, thank you so much for your advice. That is really reassuring. I read the kellymom article which is v helpful too - wish id found it a few months ago when we were having the arguments re bf or not! My LO seems to be feeding a bit less, but maybe partly as my supply dropped when away. But hopefully we will keep going strong. Good luck with your scan pigeon.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 16-Jun-13 20:25:59

Sounds like a good call, Sky!

We're bracing ourselves here for dropping the going down for nap feed. From here on in DS will no longer be fed to sleep at nap time, which makes me a bit sad as I will miss those cosy times! however, as I'm nearly 39 and STILL have no AF sad I have to take action. Current feeds will then be:

Going to bed
2.5 to 3 hours after bed
3 am
5 am

He is going to be two in few weeks and at that stage if AF is not back we will consider two things:

Taking DS up only when completely ready for bed so bedtime feed is shorter; and/or

Dh doing bedtime.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 16-Jun-13 20:27:38

Forgot to say, as we co-sleep I'm also considering feeding DS to sleep on the other side of the bed and then going back to my usual side as apparently that can reduce night feeding. Has anyone tried this and did it work?

Wildwaterfalls Mon 17-Jun-13 09:27:03

Oh Harriet I really hope AF will come soon for you! Shortening the bedtime feed might help - I read earlier on this thread (although it may have been you who said it to begin with!) that the length of feeds is also really crucial in getting AF back.

We're not co-sleeping so don't know the answer to your other side of the bed question, but it sounds like something worth trying.

Nausea, bloating and cramping this morning here which could be a) ovulation b) AF coming already or c) completely unrelated to cycle things... So in a nutshell: no idea what's going on with my body!

We'll keep going with the SWI, we just don't seem to 'do' relaxed TTC - even though we said we'd be laid back about it for the first couple of months we can't help but give it a serious go! smile

skylark101 Mon 17-Jun-13 18:26:23

Hi Harriet, those sound like good ideas to try. I dont know if it is relevant for you. But it definitely rang true for me when i read in the kelly mom article that is often when there is a marked shift in your feeding pattern that AF comes back. For me it was when i gradually cut out night feeds and got my DH to soothe her back to sleep in the night. I would have loved to try co-sleeping but we didnt agree on it so didnt do it... Anyway that probably made that bit a little bit easier.

The other thing ill mention just in case of help to anyone is Foresight. I really believe in them and found it something positive to do when i was getting frustrated. You send a bit of your hair off and get an analysis back which gives an exact reading of your mineral status and what to supplement. I did this before conceiving DD1. I forgot about it when we agreed to try again for no 2. But after some time of no joy went back to it and have been on their supplement prog since Jan. I might be wrong but think that helped get my body into the mindset when ok to go for no 2. Possibly something like this cd help with getting AF back. If you google them (foresight preconception) and call them up they are v sympathetic and often give good advice over the phone.

Im still v early days so hoping this pgy holds!

Victoria2002 Mon 17-Jun-13 18:42:36

I don't have much news but am continuing to follow and wish everybody good luck! Here I am on day 19 of my first cycle and still b/f ds 10.5m more or less on demand, especially as we had a holiday and then he was teething so some days I feel I'm feeding more than ever. I do try to offer food/water first though. I had a positive OPK today after poas since cd10 I had begun to think it wasn't going to happen! Dp and I had sex on Saturday so that could cover it in theory but cross your fingers and will try again today if I don't get home too late.

LittleMouseontheDairy Mon 17-Jun-13 23:28:31

Hi all,
Can I join? Came to this board as thinking of TTC no 2 and have noticed that my last couple of cycles have started very lightly and only got heavier a few days in. This seems like I have a progesterone problem if my brief and panicky google search is right. So I'm a bit concerned..
I'm still bf 15 mo DS, my periods came back at 9 months and have been a pretty regular 27 day cycle so I was actually feeling quite optimistic until I thought about the implications of the long light phase to my af. Arse.
I'm 34 (soon to be 35) so a bit anxious that it's all going pear shaped just like the Daily Fail always harps on about
Anyone have a similar period-thing? And if I can gather correctly - I should take 50-100 mg of B6 every day on top of a general B-complex vitamin? And some Agnus castus?
Sorry for the essay! And congrats to those with BFPs!

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 18-Jun-13 06:46:27

Wild, fingers so crossed for you and I sympathise - we can't do casual TTC either!! Thank you for the good wishes for AF to come - maybe this will be the month smile

Skylark, thank you for the kind thoughts and great advice - I will definitely look into all that. Sending you nice sticky vibes and for the next few weeks until the 12 week scan to fly past.

Victoria, fingers crossed this will be your month for a bfp and I'm sending you some thanks for continuing to bf - it's an amazing gift for him.

Mouse, welcome to the thread. Hopefully you'll get a bfp nice and quickly! Most people who are still bf when they TTC do get a bfp while still bf, so in theory it shouldn't be too much of a concern. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 18-Jun-13 07:58:42

Mouse, it was an early start for me - completely misread the bit about your age !! blush sorry

I've had 2 bfps - one mmc and DS. In case it helps, Pg 1 was when I was almost 35 then DS was born when I was 36 so I wouldn't be too worried about age. I'm almost 39 and my mother thinks I'm mad to still be bf DS. We couldn't have tried any sooner anyway as DH was unwell and is only just getting better.

LittleMouseontheDairy Tue 18-Jun-13 08:12:53

Thank you WouldBeHarrietVane! I wouldn't be especially worried about my age per se if it wasn't for this weird 'very light' start to my period which just seems a little worrying.
I think mine thinks I'm a bit mad to still be bf too. And I haven't told her it might have an impact on any potential TTC! that would certainly agitate her. Should have known one grandchild wasn't enough smile
Are you taking any vits? (Sorry if this is mentioned up-thread, ignore if so!)

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 18-Jun-13 08:23:04

Well, you might get a bfp really quickly then she'll never have to know smile

I'm taking folic acid but nothing else.

eggsnbeans Wed 19-Jun-13 05:42:28

Hi and welcome mouse smile

Harriet, sounds like you have a good plan with putting DS to bed on the other side smile I hope he doesn't find it too weird confused

Are you 2WWing Wild? FX for you

I was wondering, how long are you ladies planning on continuing BF for? I had always planned on stopping at 12m, but not I'm getting close to that, thinking about stopping is making me feel a bit sad hmm so now... I dunno!

I am CD14, no sign of ovulation, my fertility monitor hasn't even predicted when that's going to be (should tell me 5 days in advance!), although I had 30-68d cycles pre-pregnancy, so not exactly a good baseline!

As a dash of hope for anyone whose AF hasn't yet returned hmm I was reading BF textbook (borrowed from Dr friend) and it had a table comparing 4 different studies on child spacing while BF. Anyway, the average birth interval was 22m when AF returned at 7 or 8m, 23m when AF returned at 11m and 25m where AF returned at 15m. So bugger all difference when next child was born, even when AF returned 8 months later! (apologies if that makes no sense at all)

lovepigeon Wed 19-Jun-13 21:30:23

Harriet I'm not sure about the treatment plan as I have not seen my consultant yet, I think the options are monitor it or remove it surgically. Its on my spleen which is quite rare apparently so there is not much info on the net although I have learnt that there is a risk you have to have whole spleen removed. Not causing me any symptoms though.
How did your op go - did you have to have a GA? It must have been hard going into hospital and leaving your DS.
In other news I just got a BFP. I can't tell anyone other than DH as it is early days (had a negative test on Monday so must be quite early but thought at least I can chat about it on mumsnet smile )
However I'm really worried as I had a dental xray last tuesday, do you think it might have harmed the pregnancy? Internet says radiation dose is low but I'm really angry at myself for letting the dentist give me one as there was no need (nothing wrong with my teeth) and now I'm obsessing about the harm I might have done! Panic ...

WouldBeHarrietVane Wed 19-Jun-13 21:36:08

Just reading en route to sorting some chores - will post properly later.

Yay about your bfp love grin

Please don't worry about the X-ray - NHS page says virtually no risk to the baby from a dental X-ray:

www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2294.aspx?categoryid=54&subcategoryid=130

Wildwaterfalls Wed 19-Jun-13 22:14:38

Yippie lovepigeon a BFP!! Brilliant news! So pleased for you!

Harriet how is it going with the sleeping on the other side? Have you been trying that yet?

Welcome mouse! Re vits: I'm taking pregnacare breastfeeding ones, and may add a 50mg B6 to that if it turns out I have a luteal phase issue.

Yes eggs, 2ww here. Eyeing up the FR tests but making myself wait until the weekend. Don't think it has happened this month anyway...

eggsnbeans Thu 20-Jun-13 07:13:02

Yay Lovepigeon so excited for you grin tell us the secret!!! Def don't worry about the xray, doses are very low and they are very concentrated on teeth/head so very very low by the time you get to uterus.

ooh at least you're getting a proper 2ww wild! That's exciting and very promising! I've been having lots of pg symptoms but had a period 2w ago so def not pg! Can almost convince myself sometimes though hmm

LittleMouseontheDairy Thu 20-Jun-13 12:04:21

Congratulations lovepigeon! Fab news.

Thanks Wildwaterfalls I was thinking of getting the Pregnacare conception ones and adding B6. I went to Holland and Barrett and got some B6 but it's 100mg not 50mg. Is that too much?

Af still in it's very scanty phase. Boring!

Wildwaterfalls Fri 21-Jun-13 08:03:34

Mouse I'm not sure re 100mg. All I did was a quick google which seemed to suggest 100mg was the maximum recommended amount per day, and because I was already taking pregnacare I chose 50mg. But these weren't any 'official' websites, so not sure it this is right. Someone else might know?

Caved this morning and POAS, but BFN hmm. Funny how I am really disappointed even though it is too early to be testing, and I didn't expect success this month anyway. Now I have to be really strict and not test until Tuesday, when AF is actually due (if my previous 30 day cycles have returned, which is a big if!).

Wildwaterfalls Fri 21-Jun-13 08:41:02

Oh and a quick question for you all: last night when I was obsessively googling all aspects of TTC while BF surfing, I read that if you conceive while BF, you are 9x more likely to conceive twins! Wow! Do you think this is true?

I'd love to have twins, always kind of hoped for this, but DH thinks it would be such hard work especially with DD still so small... Which it would be of course! But fun!

<<Off to visit the multiples forum for a straw poll re breastfeeding>>

Lis999 Fri 21-Jun-13 13:14:13

Hi all! I haven't been on in a while but I wanted to update that I got my BFP this week! My DD is 13 months and feeding morning and evening. smile So it is definitely possible to get pregnant while nursing!!!

Wildwaterfalls Fri 21-Jun-13 17:41:52

Congratulations!! That is wonderful news. Gives us all hope grin

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 21-Jun-13 18:30:28

Congratulations Lis smile

eggsnbeans Sat 22-Jun-13 03:32:54

Congrats Lis smile

Wild, i've heard that about twins too! I always wanted to have twins too, but one of the mums in my coffee group has twins and now I definitely don't! And she has been extremely lucky with 2 verrrry chilled out babies that slept through from 3m, 1 baby just lies around and stares at things all day and never cries, and the other has just started crawling and rarely cries! They BF essentially non stop from 5pm-9pm, only stopping for a bath! So think one at a time will do now confused

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 23-Jun-13 10:46:40

Back on quickly just to say we've had a bit of a train wreck this week with cutting down on the bf.

I had the bright idea the day before yesterday that he would drift off without bm in the car. He didn't. He then fell asleep while playing at 5, woke at 8 and was awake and running around until 10pm shock in the end I had to go back to bf him down for his nap to get his routine back!!

Anyway, today is a new day and of the last 2 weeks, DH has done the naps on around 9 days, so we are trying again today and are going to be consistent from now on. Keep your fingers crossed for us!!!

Hope all well with all of you and sending bfp vibes to all doing the 2ww and swi! Also sending AF vibes (what a thought!!) to anyone like me whose AF hasn't yet come back.

This thread is not accepting new messages.