TTC or pregnancy on prednisolone or similar part 10

(1000 Posts)
roseandroli Thu 14-Feb-13 10:17:57

We are now on part 10 of this thread! I hope you can all find this. This is a positive thread for all those diagnosed with High or Very High NK Cells and looking to start TTC or already pregnant on Prednisolone and/or Intralipid treatment.

Newcomers very much welcome!

Links to earlier threads:

Part 9: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/a1552980-TTC-or-pregnancy-on-prednisolone-or-similar-part-9

Part 8: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/a1492407-TTC-Pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-8#33842381

Part 7 www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1452035-TTC-Pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-7

Part 6 www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1419032-TTC-Pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-6

Part 5 www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1391787-TTC-Pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-5

Part 4 www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1366323-TTC-Pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-4

Part 3 www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1348773-TTC-pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-3

Part 2 here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1323594-TTC-pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar-part-2

Part 1 here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1236324-TTC-pregnancy-on-Prednisolone-or-similar

Brennac Tue 23-Apr-13 17:02:06

Now that's the kind of advice that I like! x

duggs1976 Tue 23-Apr-13 17:56:44

Ohh if wine had been banned there would be about 3 people on this thread wink

mollieboo Tue 23-Apr-13 17:59:04

Hi all, thanks for all your nice words re my bfp.

ari you do seem to be the font of all knowledge re supplements!

choccy I haven't a clue re your cycles sorry but it prob is due to steroid taking, they're not the most pleasant drugs to be on. Hope it all gets back to normal soon. I drink green tea but not decaf green tea. Do you think its best to use decaf even with green? Never thought about that until you said, I drink 2 or 3 cups a day.

abney I guess you're right, the more times you get pregnant surely the more chance of one of them going right. My 9th pregnancy so I'm desperately hoping its a lucky one. Bet you can't wait to meet your baby boy now.

Welcome brennac, really hope you have some luck on the treatment soon. I'm on 2nd pregnancy on the steroid treatment, its v early days and scary but lots of positive stories on here which keeps me going, hopefully it will give you lots of hope too. I have to say I've drunk my fair share of wine when ttc'ing, its hard enough going through all of this without cutting out all of life's little pleasures. Really hope the letrazole gets you your bfp v soon.

Waves to everyone else too x

duggs1976 Tue 23-Apr-13 17:59:04

..and cutting in on behalf of new mum kittens her little man is the result of a vodka sterilised needled at latitude festival so can safely say getting on with life is not an option but a necessity or else you'd go bonkers!

duggs1976 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:01:05

Just re read that - part of the super ovulation plan dr s offers ( not advocating hard drugs for festival goers shockshockopps!)

mollieboo Tue 23-Apr-13 18:09:48

I wondered what you meant haha, hi kittens if you're reading! Yes defo need alcohol to get along in this crazy game...

Brennac Wed 24-Apr-13 09:32:55

I had to re-read the vodka sterilised needle bit a few times before getting that one! thought this was some new way to get drunk!

I'm really glad I found you all, thanks for the advice. The sun is out and I am going to have a glass of vino this evening I think x

I will keep following you all and I wish you all the best of luck. Hopefully we will all be moving to forums about breast feeding and dealing with sleep deprivation soon!

freelancegirl Wed 24-Apr-13 11:33:32

Stay with us Brennac! It's a good place to mental about it all. And find out the all important things such as how to sterilise a needle with vodka at a festival smile

MrsChocken Wed 24-Apr-13 15:01:31

Hi everyone, I've been a lurker here for a few months, and Brennac I'm at the same stage as you - on third cycle of TTC under Mr S (PCOS and very high NKC so metformin, prednisolone, high Vit D, Omega 3 to start, followed by progesterone, intralipids if successful). I'm fortunate to have a DD born 2008 after 5 early miscarriages (was under Prof Brosens at Queen Charlotte's and given progesterone and clexane), but we've been trying again for 2 years - resulting ectopic August last Year, another early miscarriage December. In fact this thread directed me to Mr S in late December as Prof Brosens had moved, and I was back at the beginning again it seemed, with St Mary's this time, but without time on my side as I'm now 40. I just wanted to say what an incredibly inspirational lot of ladies are on here, and how much strength I've got from reading this. You are truly wonderful, towers of strength, and I really hope to be able to add a positive story here at some point. And many congratulations to the new additions! Thank you for giving me hope. And I'm with you on the wine!

mollieboo Wed 24-Apr-13 16:09:07

Welcome mrschocken, hope you get there soon xx

MrsChocken Wed 24-Apr-13 16:32:13

Thanks Mollie, crossing everything for you and good luck on the 6th xx

Brennac Wed 24-Apr-13 17:12:53

Hi MrsChocken, I will keep my fingers crossed for us both..third month lucky. It sounds like you and most people on here have been on a much longer and harder journey than I and it is great to have strength from everyone.

ChoccyPud, the one thing I have learnt through all of this is our bodies are complex and sensitive things and I can see no rhyme or reason why my cycle behaves one way one month and a completely different way the next. However, perhaps whilst your cycles were more predictable they didn't give you the right end result. I believe that any medication can often take a while to have an impact and perhaps this is your body adjusting and getting into the right position to give you the right result. My DH put it well to me the other day, he said that maybe you've got to clear out the old nest and start again and it's just taking a while for us to find all the right materials to get the nest as comfy as it needs to be.

ChoccyPud Fri 26-Apr-13 08:17:18

Brennac I'm afraid I think it's the Pred messing with my cycles as it is well known to do. Several ladies on here have found this problem. No ovulation = no chance of getting upduffed = not going to get off the starting line. My body is if anything OVER used to all the drugs - I've been here for a while now and have had three mc's on treatment. My frustration is therefore the different reaction and changed cycle in recent months, not that my body is having trouble settling into the drug routine.

Mollie I choose decaf green tea due to avoiding caffeine. Twinings is the only make I've seen that do decaf. But yes, it's still tea so still has caffeine in it.

I think I'm going to skip the Pred this month, I'm on Hydroxy and will get some agnus castus today so along with the resveratrol etc... Well, we shall see what happens!

Happy Friday everyone smile

Arianrhod Fri 26-Apr-13 09:47:02

You'll end up on my list of supplements at this rate choccy ;) You're on high dose Omega 3 as well, right, to target your TNFa/NK cells? And a good dose of vitamin D?

On the tea front, you could consider Rooibos - it naturally has no caffeine (ie it's not been artificially decaffeinated with all of the problems that that can have). It has a very slightly different taste to 'normal' black tea but it's very nice, I drink it all the time (with milk) and prefer it to 'normal' tea. It's also high in antioxidants, although not quite as high as green tea. Not far off it though.

/waves to everyone

Arianrhod Fri 26-Apr-13 09:56:40

If anyone's interested, there's quite a lot of focus on links between low levels of vitamin D and miscarriage. This is a great site to look at, if you're interested: https://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/vitamins-and-miscarriage/vitamin-d .

I think the first entry is a bit misleading, if you go on to read the rest of the entries they all seem to contradict that first-mentioned research paper. But I guess that's often the way with research!

ChoccyPud Fri 26-Apr-13 10:28:36

You're welcome to your Rooibos Ari I'm not a fan!!

Have pm'd you x

Arianrhod Fri 26-Apr-13 11:00:34

lol It can be an acquired taste to start with choccy, I'll grant you that smile But right back atcha with the green tea, I can't get on with that, much as I try! Is any one brand any better tasting than any other, would people say? Or is there a trick/additive (not sugar/honey since I've learned you should avoid sugar/salt when taking the pred to try to avoid some of the bloating) that makes it taste better? Always willing to try something new in the pursuit of healthiness! smile

freelancegirl Fri 26-Apr-13 13:53:03

Mrschocken a big welcome to the thread! Great that you found Mr S through this very place. So did I - on the recurrent miscarriage thread there once was. Congratulations on your daughter - although I realise she's four or five now of course! Do stick around, everyone is very lovely.

Yes I've seen that research on vitamin d. Very interesting. Such an important vitamin. Wonder if there's any research done into whether lower levels of vitamin d in countries like Australia where they've been so good on promoting the keep out the sun message in relation to increased fertility and pregnancy problems.

Ugh to roobos too although I know people who love it. I've always stuck with normal decaf tea but that's probably not great for us either!

freelancegirl Fri 26-Apr-13 13:54:30

Oh on the green tea subject try the ' green tea with lemon' it's actually really nice. Although not sure if there's a decaf version

mollieboo Fri 26-Apr-13 16:31:30

Yes happy friday, hope everyone is well.

I might give rooibos another go, does decaf tea and coffee have added chemicals in it? Am going a bit loopy on 40mg pred and caffeine!

Interesting vit d reading thanks ari. I'm on 2 tablets a day, hope it helps lots.

choccy sorry if this is a v stupid question but have you tried the superov plan? I've got pregnant on it twice now as it takes the stress away of working out when I o, as it gets later and later on pred...more chemicals though I guess, maybe you're wanting a break from so many meds?...

Has anyone weaned off pred at 9 weeks? I think its changed from 12 to 9 on v high nk cells plan, am a bit worried about weaning off that early, but might not get that far anyway!

Abney Fri 26-Apr-13 16:51:28

hi Mollie I have VHKC and I started weaning off them at 9 weeks. When i got to 9 weeks DR S said 'you won't lose it now' so it looks like 9 weeks is the main hurdle to beat although i know some on here have had later losses. Out of 12 pg only 3 have got over 9 weeks One chomosone issue, 1 DS and another DS due imminently. This time I made sure I had proper meals each day and i did have intralipids for the first time and I was on hydroxy also for the first time. I hope this helps.

ChoccyPud Fri 26-Apr-13 18:10:47

Fair question mollie! But no I don't want to try SO unless I find I've stopped ovulating or there's an actual problem with my cycle - rather than just the Pred has messed it up temporarily.

I'll skip Pred this month and see what happens. If things don't get back to normal this month or next, I'll go see him to get it checked out. If I get pg I'll start Pred straightaway then - I'm on Hydroxy etc so yes it's a risk for me to ttc without starting pred from ov, but I'm not totally without other chemical help. Frankly every pregnancy is a risk for me with my crappy enigmatic history and its not like the drugs have meant success for me previously, so I feel like I've little to lose. Worst case I mc again. But at least I'd have got pg and ATM I'm a little concerned to establish if there's something preventing that happening!

In the meantime I'm cracking open a rather nice bottle of red. Have a lovely weekend all smile

mollieboo Fri 26-Apr-13 19:42:50

Thanks abney that's v reassuring actually. I forgot that Mr S thinks 9 weeks is the magic mark for nk cells, here's to hoping I get there, its just the longest wait. Hope you're feeling well.

I see choccy. Some other docs start pred from bfp anyway, and you're on hydroxy so that should be sorting stuff out. Red wine, am v jealous as I'm craving it so much!

Have fab weekends all x

Havingkittens Fri 26-Apr-13 22:43:35

Hello, just having a quick catch up. Afraid I don't have much time for personals at the mo as my boy is quite demanding and I am not very good at juggling my laptop and a baby and typing with one hand! I just wanted to mention that I was on the treatment for 18 months before getting pregnant and the cycle that I finally fell pregnant was the one where I only took hydroxy and skipped the pred until my BFP. I asked Mr S if I could do this, not because of my cycles or lack of ability to fall pregnant (as he always contests this), I decided to take the approach that I had been on pred so long it was making me feel ropey and wanted to give myself a bit of a break to which he agreed and said to take the hydroxy instead. I do think the pred affected my cycles, my periods were very short and scant since taking it.

Sending love and best wishes and lots of luck to you all. Always thinking of you, just not getting much time online these days! x

freelancegirl Fri 26-Apr-13 23:19:21

Hello kittens! Time consuming aren't they! Hope you're coping ok with those first crazy weeks.

Mollie yes I felt nervous too about the advice to start tapering at 9 weeks, but I did and it was fine. It's nerve wracking though as the meds become a crutch I think. I remember staying an extra few days on 25mg having reduced from 40mg but only because of my own paranoia. Seems like only last month I was asking the same question on here.

This thread is not accepting new messages.