TTC for the first time

(786 Posts)
bluefreckles Thu 17-Jan-13 18:50:24

Hello ladies

I would like to start a thread/bus/merry-go-round to meet, get support and share with ladies in the same boat as me:

TTC baby no 1!

Will you join me and see it through to the BFP?!

A bit about me - I'm 29, DP is 35. This will be our first child.

notspringchicken Sun 05-May-13 15:12:33

Can I join too?

I'm 39 and trying for No.1. I'm slightly weirded out by the fact that I'm giving it a go this late in life. It was never the plan. But I spent a lot of my younger years acting as carer for my Mum who has several serious and debilitating health conditions. So the long and the short of it was, I wasn't in the right place to be taking on more responsibilities.

Anyway, despite saying that this route simply wasn't for me for so many years, here I am obsessing about pee sticks, basal temperatures and trying not to get all mushy when I see babygros in Tesco. On the one hand I'm excited by the idea of becoming a mummy - on the other, I'm aware that the odds for me are not great. I've left it very late and it simply may not happen. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

It'd be nice to have a few buddies to share this journey. TTC is like learning a whole new language. Hopefully we can all keep each other sane.

I sincerely sincerely hope that we all get healthy happy babies at the end of this. Sending my most positive thoughts to all of you. :-)

ImaginaryHat Sun 05-May-13 15:18:38

Haha I have had my hubby mowing the lawns today too!

ImaginaryHat Sun 05-May-13 16:17:25

Oh hi notspringchicken, overlapped with you there!

I can't say I know much about ttc in your late 30s but I'd bet there's a thread on here somewhere with people in a similar situation. My SIL and workmate have both had babies at 40 in the last couple of years though so definitely not uncommon.

Sending you positive thoughts x

CursiveLetters Sun 05-May-13 16:56:43

Hi everyone! I just moved to London a week ago and my husband and I have decided to start officially trying. I am 28 (will be 29 in a few months time) and he's 35.

I am trying to relax about it just let it come naturally! I have been off the pill for about 3 years now so I'm pretty in tune with when I'm ovulating/high fertility. (Which happens to be now!) Trying to not constantly wonder wether or not I am preg but it's hard not to think about!

Tigglettchic Sun 05-May-13 17:45:49

welcome springchicken!! i am gla i am not the only one who gets mushy at babygros at tesco!!!

so much gardening today! trying to keep my mind of planning next dtd!!!

Tigglettchic Sun 05-May-13 17:46:20

sorry hello cursive aswell

BroodyTroody Sun 05-May-13 21:03:17

Hi everyone smile

I've been watching this thread for a while, and now I've been brave enough to join and post!

I'm 22 & husband is 26, we've been ttc for a few months, but I've been on the pill for around 7 years, so I'm not really sure when to count as really trying, as I don't know when my cycles count as normal.

I literally can't stop thinking about babies, and seeing as we've not told many people I need somewhere to vent!

LadyBoom Sat 11-May-13 20:42:57

Hi everyone!!
Very first time posting, and even being on Mumsnet...
Can I join in too, please...?

DF and I have been "unofficially trying" for the past year and a bit; now I'm getting a bit antsy...EVERYONE is getting up the duff, lol!!

I'm 35 and DF is 30...I've had hormone tests etc, and everything's fine...just want it to happen now lol...and so help me God if someone else says "it'll be you next..." angry

Have started using an iPhone app for ovulation now, so fingers crossed it'll happen soon...will be nice to be able to vent on here when if it doesn't...

LadyBoom Sun 12-May-13 14:03:00

Springchicken, I feel the same way, the the odds, AND Tesco babygros...lol!! Fx, and at least on here we can all moan/vent/grumble-then CELEBRATE when we get our BFPs!! smile

LadyBoom Sun 12-May-13 14:04:49

* re* the odds...sorry, fat fingers!! blush

WannaBeAMommy Sun 12-May-13 23:46:18

Can I join pleasesmile

Im 25 dp is 32, just came if lognyon at the start of april.... Really nervous but excited on this trip

disciplehayles Mon 13-May-13 21:37:04

Hello ladies, i'm in on this too. I'm 28 and DH is 31. Quite new to this whole cycle and fluid thing, but am willing to learn. Married for 5 years and possibly the only couple in our circle of friends for whom condoms have worked.

TeaAddict235 Tue 14-May-13 10:47:44

I know what you mean cursiveLetters as well about trying not to worry or think about it: i'm watching everything that my body does, every twitch makes me think.

How long have you been trying for wannabeamommy? We've been "trying" for two months now. I must be super naive tho because I thought that basically the first time without protection would get me preggers. I thought that youth, sport and a stupidly heavy and regular AF would be in our favour. Will see though, both parents wanting grandkids and with my PhD ending, I can't keep making up excuses.

Fingers crossed for all of you ladies x x

TeaAddict235 Tue 14-May-13 10:58:12

Hey ladyboom, love your zeal! I'm new on MN as well. I haven't gotten any apps or anything though, I feel a bit funny looking on MN on the tube in thr morning; anyone could take a peek, imagine what they'd learn about me from an ov app!!! I'm such a nosey parker myself ;-)

Are you ladies doing anything or changing anything in your lifestyle to expect little feet? I've started researching e.g MN websites, comparing prices of stuff at supermarkets, watching one born every mimute,-- ....generally annoying my husband--

blueamber Tue 14-May-13 11:25:05

Hi teaaddict, I can't help doing the research either. I'm already trying to learn everything about anything, and this is only the first month that we are ttc... also been watching one born every minute and trying to remember every scenario so that I'm prepared. But I'm a bit weird like that, trying to plan too much in advance! I'm also finishing my PhD, and I've had the same problem there, trying to find out every little detail about the subject, which is very time consuming!

WannaBeAMommy Tue 14-May-13 13:12:11

TeaAddict235 I'm not sure lol. Been having unprotected sex for six weeks. Unsure if a three day bleed was AF or an implant bleed. That was at the start of April havent had an af since.

If it was AF then I was due last thursday. Its Tuesday now...

I nievely thought id get caught as soon as we started. Done a test today. Was a big negativesad

TeaAddict235 Tue 14-May-13 14:12:43

Hey blueamber congratulations and snap: phd& TTC. What field is your PhD in? Mine is engineering, where Talk of babies is career suicide. Neither of the two other ladies in my research group are mums (they know that they want to be, but daren't admit it), whereby most of the men are dads or planning to get married. Hey ho, each to their own.
Do you think that it is okay TTC whilst doing your PhD? Its not too stressful? I'm trying to ignore the stress x

TeaAddict235 Tue 14-May-13 14:14:45

wannabeamommy that sounds really positive, absent AF. Keep up the positive actions x

Me too, it's nice to hear others that are ttc while doing a PhD. I love hearing I'm not alone in doing it. I'm also in Engineering so very male dominated so have never spoken to anyone in RL that has done it even though there is maternity leave etc available.
I always read this thread but never posted so here's a little bit. This is my 3rd cycle ttc#1. Am currently waiting for my AF after 3 negative tests. Am currently late so don't know what my body is playing out.

TeaAddict235 Tue 14-May-13 15:23:06

Same here sciencegeekgirl, I was an avid stalker reader on this thread but daren't join. Now I think i'd might as well, nothing to lose,we can only learn from one another.
Hurrah another engineer. My stance is, i'd might as well start now as you can't really take mat leave in the first 6months of a contract. I gave a draft of my thesis in last week, the devil supervisor wasn't impressed. Arrrg, can't wait to finish.

blueamber Tue 14-May-13 16:47:14

Hi tea addict and Sciencegeekgirl, good to hear about other PhD students ttc! I'm in social sciences, so it's a bit more relaxed if you get pregnant during PhD or job. My supervisor, who had a baby recently, even claimed that the best time to have a baby is during your PhD! I'm not sure about that, because you don't get any maternity pay. But I thought I'd go ahead anyway. I should submit in about 6 months and just don't want to wait until I have graduated and found a job, because that could take forever.

About the stress, my boyfriend said I should try not to be too stressed, so I'm trying to let go of the perfectionism, take regular breaks and do exercise, like yoga and walking. I think it's quite important to not get too stressed, but then again that's very hard whilst doing a PhD. And also my supervisors have suddenly turned insanely critical, so I too can't wait to finish!

TeaAddict235 Wed 15-May-13 13:18:11

Hey blueamber, keep going with the writing and TTC. If only I had known that the best time to become a parent was during my PhD, then I would have taken my time wink.

Concerning the criticism from your supervisor, keep your head up. I hate it too but I tell myself that my chosen field will be challenging, so I have to be prepared. My supervisor has been nasty from day 1, so it is no surprise now when he tells me that I am a disappointment. He doesn' t like ladies nor brits; he thinks that we are not up to international engineering standards. Anyway, won't let the beastie stop me from progressing. Sorry to moan, just that I know exactly why women leave engineering after a while.

blueamber Wed 15-May-13 22:09:20

Tea addict, your supervisor sounds awful! Must be difficult to remain motivated when you have no support. My supervisor was okay until one of her students who had submitted received much criticism from the external reader and had to spend a year rewriting the thesis. Now she is overly strict and I am redoing work that was fine before, which is tough. Although on the other hand I do not fancy spending another year on my thesis after submission, so hopefully all the work will be worth it.

So you are almost finished? Do you have any plans for what you're doing after you get the PhD (expect celebrating that you'll never have to work on it again)?

Madratlady Thu 16-May-13 16:30:47

Hi everyone, I've been avoiding the conception board for a while as I find that it can get me down, and being around other symptom spotters during the 2ww just stressed me out.

I'd just like to report that i got a BFP this evening. It took less than a minute even though it wasn't flu and it was a dark line so I'm in no doubt.

I was going to test tomorrow because AF was due at the beginning of this week, but I have been feelin a bit nauseous and light headed at work today so I thought I'd test when I got in, just to deal with the dissappointment of a bfn tonight rather than going to work feeling down tomorrow, but no dissappointment this time grin

I'm waiting for DH to get home so I can tell him.

and I won't have to clean the cat litter tray for a whole 9 months muahahaha

TeaAddict235 Thu 16-May-13 19:12:42

COngratUlationS Madratlady, hurrah!!!! well done, good on you old girl grin. I think that I have been on a few boards where you have commented, and I have agreed or liked what you said, but never interrupted the conversation. So well done hun. Amen.

Hey blueamber, no worries about my supervisor, what comes around goes around. I am waiting for feedback from him so that I can make the corrections and really consecrate what I know. In the meantime my hubby is planning the biggest holiday since our honeymoon 5 years ago: a cruise and a drive across Europe. That'll be my celebration, also I would quite like to be fully pregnant by the end as a "gift" to our parents, as they are being really indiscreet about wanting grandkids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now