Anyone else want to join me in getting ready for ivf in 2013? Good egg buddies wanted!!!

(1000 Posts)
Karbea Mon 17-Dec-12 18:26:17

Hello,

Dh and I have been trying for over 2 years and had one failed ivf (Icsi) attempt at the Argc last spring. We are going to go again in the new year.

I wondered if anyone else was planning to do the same? And whether anyone fancied joining me in 'princessing' (stolen from style & beauty smile ) for ivf?

I'm not sure what this means in terms of what I'll do, really hoping for some help in researching how to get the best eggs ever, and perhaps how to improve dh's little swimmers....

Anyone up for being a good egg buddy?

Northey Sat 02-Feb-13 23:44:52

I did my own first injection today (my partner did yesterday's). In a subtle 2 minute trip upstairs in the middle of having friends for dinner, no less!

ET yesterday sounds good, is! Do rest now. Fingers crossed for you.

Dildals Sun 03-Feb-13 00:31:07

Well done northey they're not too bad are they? Mind you, i had to do my last cetritide injection at a dinner party at a restaurant, which had only one toilet. At this point i was a pretty dab hand at it all so i thought i was pretty quick (although i was well aware of someone waiting outside). Turns out i have my super nosy annoying SIL outside 'are you ok, are you ok'. All you want to say is 'leave me alone!' But can't do that obviously. Really embarrasing having to return to a table of people looking at you as if you just passed out on the loos....blush

delilahbelle Sun 03-Feb-13 10:09:10

Hi all
Today I have woken up again with no real symptoms. I'm trying to stay positive but it's hard, I'm terrified of another chemical pregnancy. Nothing to be done but wait though, I am focusing now on getting a BFP on Friday, the official test date. If/when I get that far I might think about booking a doctors appointment and viability scan.
Anyone thinking of testing early, don't. You just end up with a whole new load of worries.

delilah - please don't worry about not having real pregnancy symptoms! I had no symptoms of pregnancy when I was pregnant with DS until about week 6, apart from some very light cramping which I thought was AF and I didn't feel like drinking alcohol (but that is so subjective who knows?). I even started to worry that maybe I wasn't pregnant after all and then suddenly I was sick as a dog for 8 weeks! You must be only about day 23/24 on your cycle aren't you? too early IMHO although I know there are some women who feel they know they are pregnant almost from conception.

I know it's really hard but just try to concentrate on the good news. I made DH throw out the one crappy HPT I had just to stop me from testing today. Im actually starting to think those early HPT should be banned on the grounds of damaging women's mental health.

northey well done on the injection, esp in a public place.

I also found this link quite helpful for 2ww stress because it discusses a recent review of studies which found that stress had no impact on a woman's chances of conceiving successfully, so don't worry that your worrying is going to affect anything: http://www.iaac.ca/content/thimble-hope-surviving-dreaded-two-week-wait-judith-daniluk-phd-and-emily-koert-ma-summer-20

Although I must admit that I am so stressed today DH is even doing DIY in an attempt to reassure me.

Dildals Sun 03-Feb-13 14:11:00

delilah The only thing that works for me is to try and keep busy to keep my mind of things. So step away from the internet, (I think half of the internet should be banned on grounds of damaging women's health!) and go for a walk, get your bike out, go to the movies with DH, clean the windows/kitchen cupboards/dog, do your nails, go shopping or bake a cake! Tomorrow there's work to keep you occupied, Friday will be there before you know it. Not that that will bring any relief, because then the 2WW will just be replaced by the next deadline ... my house has never looked so clean .... ;-) (I was not kidding about that window cleaning suggestion!)

And I can't help but thinking ... a huge glass of chilled white wine would be so incredibly helpful right now! ;-)

Hang in there!

Dildals Sun 03-Feb-13 14:16:36

Oh, and can I just say one more thing, no one has mentioned it, so assume I am the only one, but SERIOUSLY these progesterone pessaries are giving me TERRIBLE WIND! I can't be in a social environment for longer than 20 minutes, it is not good. I am giving DH a run for his money on the flatulence front whereas normally he wins that contest hands down. ;-) OK, got it off my chest, I will shut up now!

delilahbelle Sun 03-Feb-13 14:50:53

didals I so agree with you on the wind front! DH thinks its hilarious. Luckily at work I just blame the kids.

Had to go back to bed for an hour for a nap as I was so tired, so I'm assuming that's today's symptom. Even though its probably all down to the pessaries.

Will be watching and waiting with baited breath for yours and fairy's results over the next few days.

HontyTont Sun 03-Feb-13 19:13:40

GRRRRR.....just spent the last half hour writing to you all and it has disappeared!

HontyTont Sun 03-Feb-13 19:34:24

I really could cry...sad i guess that will teach me to save up all my comments for once and week and post them!

I cant name check you all again....but just to say deliah what fab news for you! I hope friday brings you the big positive that you wish for

fairy and didals hope you also get the result you wish for...everything crossed for you

To all for you that have had ET this week hope you are resting taking it easy and thinking positive things...and not mentalling too much!

northey well done for getting through the first injections, its gets easier, I'm now doing 2 every evening and its not really phasing me. My DH had tears in his eyes last night as he watched me do both my injections last night for the first time, bless him, I guess i forgot how this is an emotional journey for them all too.

So, I had my baseline scan on friday and got my schedule for the next 2 weeks. I am on 225 merional at 8pm every evening as well as 0.2 of the buserelin. EC is going to be around 15th Feb...arrrggghhhh!!! I am scared to say the least!

Quick question (well 2 actually)
1. weight gain - is it bad? i'm going to carryon with light treadmill walks and cross trainer as long as I feel OK, but thats not anything close to the weights, personal training and HITT I've been doing, its good to see a couple of you kept exercising. I have booked a long weekend in New York at the end of Feb for DH 40th and want to look my best (ET would have been approx a week before we fly out). I don't mind being pregnant and fat just not fat!
2. kind of linked to the above, but is the bloating very bad? is it noticeable to other people and do your normal clothes fit?

sorry i know its basic but i don't know who else to ask! and i guess i want to be prepared for what s about to happen to my body

good luck this week everyone xxx

HontyTont Sun 03-Feb-13 19:38:58

oh yes and Dildals I'm finding i have bad wind from the merional....ifs its bad now god knows what it will be like when I start on the pessaries!blush

I am also sweating like a trooper at night....I wake up totally drenched as if I had a shower!

xx

Northey Sun 03-Feb-13 21:19:06

Ooh, honty, I am expecting EC around 15 Feb as well!

No idea yet about bloating and weight gain. I guess we'll find out together.

Tomorrow morning is my first go with cetrotide. I have forgotten how to do the powder mixing thing sad

Dildals Sun 03-Feb-13 21:28:58

hontytont i didn't stop exercising, my clinic didn't tell me to. Towards the end of the injections i did stop running, simply because i was too uncomfortable, it felt like i was permanently carrying two full bladders! After EC i was still uncomfortable for quite some time, so i took it easy. I still cycled to work every day and swam FC 3 times a week (apart for days after EC to ET and after for a bit.) I gained 2 kgs which was pure bloat, it's gone now, a week after ET. I definitely felt uncomfortable in my tight jeans, but they did still fit. So in NY you will fit back in your nice jeans but you'll be farting all through the dinner!

CaipirinhasAllRound Sun 03-Feb-13 21:39:04

Hi honty
I'm ridiculously bloated but my follicles filled with liquid after EC. Currently look about 5 months pregnant and no idea what I'm going to wear or how I will hide it when I go back to work!
Re exercise, I was told not to do anything too energetic whilst injecting and nothing with any twisting (I do ballet). I've been told not to swim or have a bath for 2 weeks after ET dildals due to increased risk of infection

Glad the injections are going ok northey

Dildals Sun 03-Feb-13 21:47:54

caip it's weird isn't it, how each clinic (i went to Guy's) has different guidelines. I can understand ballet because of risk of ovarian torsion. To be fair i bet you dont feel like exercise with ovaries the size of oranges!

CaipirinhasAllRound Sun 03-Feb-13 21:57:34

I just about managed a trip to the supermarket today, that was plenty!

Northey Mon 04-Feb-13 06:04:20

First cetrotide done. The mixing bit was ok, but I kept getting a massive air bubble in the syringe whenever I upended it to inject, despite all my patient flicking. In the end I did it anyway, but stopped a bit short <panics>

delilahbelle Mon 04-Feb-13 06:39:23

That sounds fine northey Hopefully the drugs are starting to do their stuff.

POAS again today, a reassuringly quick appearing and dark line.

keepitgoing Mon 04-Feb-13 07:21:11

Well done north!

Good stuff Delilah; one day at a time...

caip that's bad about swimming, I live in se asia right now and it's HOT! Did you get frosties in the end?

I'm fretting as I had an antral follicle scan on cd5 and had only four follies on each side, which Dr Google tells me is low, though the 'real' doctor said it was fine. Does anyone know? Dh just says there's nothing we can do about it so to stop fretting.

Men, huh!

Good luck fairy and dildals testing soon.

Northey Mon 04-Feb-13 07:28:40

Sounding good, delilah!

keepitgoing, a pal from another thread had four follicles, two eggs, one embryo and a bfp. "It only takes one" was the mantra she stuck to.

keepitgoing Mon 04-Feb-13 07:37:08

I like it!!

It only takes one
It only takes one

Dildals Mon 04-Feb-13 08:18:07

northey just push the plunger in a little so the air comes out and stop when you see the fluid come out. The nurse told me that even if you inject a bit of air it is not going to harm you. Well done on the cetritide, they're the worst of the injections.

hi all - woke up this morning with cramping just like AF is coming and it's the right day for it (cd 27). I'm absolutely terrified.

delilah great news - i see from your history that you've been through an awful lot to get hear, bravo for being so brave!

northey I always got air bubbles with the Cetrotide, I think the syringe is pressurised so I would push the plunger down and then while I was trying to fill it up with the meds it would go up too fast and take in air as well. The nurse told me the worst that would happen would be i would get a tiny air bubble under my skin which would dissipate. So don't worry.

hontytont I felt too bloated and grumpy to run or do hot yoga (my two fave exercises) after about day 5 of injecting. Then after ET i haven't done either because my clinic has said I shouldn't do any high impact exercise or get overheated. I have probably put on a bit of weight and am still bloated from the progesterone but probably every woman is different. I think clinics also tell you this because they don't want you to do something like go for a run and then have a BFN because you then may blame yourself for it not working.

keep you may have more follicles that just aren't big enough to show on the scan yet. if your doctor isn't worried then you shouldn't be, especially as it is all so unpredictable.

keepitgoing Mon 04-Feb-13 09:57:19

God how stressful fairy, I really really hope AF stays away. When are you testing?

Thanks re the follies. I think I do need to calm the fuck down. Not even starting for three weeks! smile last chance saloon iui

EuroShagmore Mon 04-Feb-13 10:06:58

keep if it helps, even natural (where you only ever get one!) has its successes. It really does only take one.

Re: exercise, my previous clinic where I was doing conventional IVF advised to carry on life as normal. The current place didn't give any advice before ET (but I wasn't on drugs then) and has advised getting overheated and avoiding swimming and hot baths (because of the infection risk) for a few days. I skipped my run this weekend but plan to head to the gym this week.

This thread is not accepting new messages.