Assisted Conceptions (and all the bits in-between) Volume 11

(1001 Posts)
vallinnapod Mon 03-Dec-12 20:30:15

I really hope I haven't missed someone else starting this!

vallinnapod Tue 19-Feb-13 21:16:37

You cannot make this up.....DS was diagnosed with Chicken Pox today!!! Seriously shockshockshock!

Waiting to hear from the clinic as to whether they will go ahead. I had it as a kid and when I mentioned it to the GP who diagnosed DS she thought it would be a non-issue. However the clinic nurse wanted to check with a doctor - which may now be tomorrow morning, delaying thawing.

Obviously don't want to waste an embryo but....! We decided to go with one...well, I say we. DH is all for two but he has a rather romanticised view of twins.

Lissy hope DD (and you) had a wonderful birthday!

highlove Tue 19-Feb-13 21:22:19

Oh Vall bloody hell! Really hope you can go ahead tomorrow. Let us know how you get on - will keep everything crossed. (By the way, only realised yesterday you are not actually Vanilla but Vallinna. <div emoticon>)

Sunny wow, grin grin Congratulations.

vallinnapod thinking of you and sending arrow prayers your way.

Pocket HUGS HUGS.

Mojangled hi my dear, thinking of you.

beginings, Badger, Teds, mini, Lissy and co, and anyone else who remembers me!

Too many wonderful women to say hi to so just sending some love, arrow prayers, baby dust and chocolate boobs your way. biscuit biscuit

wink wink XXXX

vallinnapod Wed 20-Feb-13 15:07:16

Well we went ahead. The embryo defrosted near perfectly 90-100% intact and had begun dividing away again. So here I sit on my way home. Potentially pregnant with my husband on the other side of the world wink

Solars Wed 20-Feb-13 15:49:53

Yay vallinnapod that's great news! Hope your DS doesn't suffer too much with the pox x

Badger thanks, I managed to get a copy of my bloods and there are a couple of red blood cell counts which are very very slightly under what they should be but more worryingly my FSH level is elevated to 12, in the past it has been 8.6 & 7.2 when I did my last ivf round. Also I've heard that ARGC don't like you to cycle if FSH is above 10, am I right? I guess I'll have to see what they say sad

Sunny hope all the worry is for nothing and the little one catches up with the other in good time for the next scan.

Waves to all, hope everyone is doing good x

vallinnapod good luck and huge hugs, it is all works out you can say - I conceived when my husband was on the other side of the world!

HUGS wink

Pocket1 Wed 20-Feb-13 19:01:04

Yay Vallina, great news. Hope the two week bench treats you kindly. Are you having any time off work? How is DS, spotty and scratchy?

Highlove good spot on Vallina's name. Embarrassed I got that wrong so often. But then I was calling you Highglove...

Sunny, any more thoughts/progress on scans?

Italian thank you for the hugs. How are things with you?

Evening to everyone else

DSB
smilesmile

sunnyg Wed 20-Feb-13 19:32:17

Vallinnapod great to hear you are now PUPO! I hope your time on the bench goes swiftly. Take it easy. I hope DS's chickenpox isn't too bad.

Italianhow are you? It's lovely to hear from you and thanks for the congrats. How are things going with the adoption journey?

solars have you heard back from ARGC yet about your bloods? It's agonising waiting for them to call isn't it. I'm not 100% about FSH but I think they do prefer it to be below 10 for you to cycle. But don't panic yet, wait to see what they say and if you want more info there is loads on the fertility friends forum of ARGC.

beginnings wow 19 weeks already. I hope you are doing well.

mini thanks for the tip about the ARGC scans. I'm still very grateful for the monitoring but yes sometimes It can be a bit nerve wracking. Still I can't complain, this is exactly what I wanted.And will have a think about hospitals - which I hadn't even given that a thought as yet!Thanks for the tip.

teds thanks for your insight into twins and measurements etc. I may have more questions for you as time goes on! Hope you are well

Thanks all for your encouragement with the measurements of the twins (I am not sure really I can even say that word yet. Feels so strange still!). I did decide to book an extra scan for Friday at the Birth Company whom I have heard have great scanners. Just to get some decent measurements, I figure it can't hurt. As it turns out I now have to have IVIG tomorrow at the clinic so will have a scan before that as well. So it'll be a case of two scans in two days! Might be a little overkill but oh well. I am also going to get myself down to the GP Friday to start the NHS side.

DSB oxo

highlove Wed 20-Feb-13 20:06:03

Yay great news Vallinna I have everything crossed for you.

Sunny will also be hoping your scans show everything is perfect.

Hi to everyone else - on the countdown to the weekend now!

MiniH Thu 21-Feb-13 08:57:58

valinna congrats on being PUPO and what a huge shame about DS's chicken pox. I hope clears up soon.

sunny good luck with ivig today and scan tomorrow - oh and ask them to do the ibabyscan if you remember. Means you have a video of it to watch all the time!

Hugs to italian. How everything is going well.

Xx

Solars Thu 21-Feb-13 12:07:43

Highlove do you start the injections (or sniffing) this weekend? I've got everything crossed for you on this cycle.

Thanks Sunny I will look on the fertility friend forum. My initial consultation with ARGC is still 2 weeks away, I had these bloods done with my GP. Will wait and see what ARGC have to say about them. Good luck with ivig & scan today!

highlove Thu 21-Feb-13 15:17:15

Thanks Solars no got another two weeks to go before I start down-reg. Are you on countdown to your ARGC appt? Feels like you're always waiting for something with this, doesn't it? Hope you are doing ok and the FSH result isn't worrying you too much - it can vary wildly so hopefully it was just a blip.

Sunny how did IVIG go? (Actually, what is IVIG please?!) Hope you got another chance to see your little beauties?

KerryOnCamping Thu 21-Feb-13 17:53:38

Ladies, I am so sorry for interrupting your thread when you don't know me but I'm at my wits end and would like to appeal to you for advice. I am trying for my first child and am 41. I got pregnant last year within two months of trying but had a mmc at 11 weeks. Since the ERPC last March I have not had a whiff of pregnancy. Three rounds of Clomid came to nought and so I asked for a lap & dye which was performed two days ago and showed a blocked fallopian tube (which the surgeon did not and will not fix) and a small amount of endometriosis behind the right ovary.

My consultant does not believe these two issues are the reason for my failure to conceive in the last year. He believes it is more likely due to my age. I am not convinced. My last two FSH scores were 6.5 and 8 and I ovulate every month with very regular, normal cycles. Was it simply a complete fluke when I fell pregnant easily last year? Did my ERPC cause this blocked tube and endo? Will having had this procedure make me more fertile over the coming months? Will IVF help someone like me (we can only afford one round)? Any advice or stories would be greatly appreciated and, again, apologies for the intrusion.

sunnyg Thu 21-Feb-13 18:12:55

Hi Kerry and welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your MMC last year and everything else you have gone through. I'm not an expert on blocked tubes and endo, actually sorry I know very little about these two. But your FSH is good and I have heard of women having a lot higher FSH scores. Also that you ovulated very month and have regular cycles is excellent. I wonder if it could be a combination of everything but either way my only piece of advice is would be to get a second or even a few other opinions before you make any steps. I wouldn't want to alarm you but I wouldn't waste too much time. I think the sooner you have more investigations you can make a plan and in that alone you'll feel happier. I'm sure the other very wise ladies here know more than me though and can help you out.

All went well today. Actually really well. The clinic did the scan as proceedure before the do the IVIG. Highlove IVIG is a drip, a blood product actually that is used to tame an over active immune system. So for immunes issues basically. But it's crazy expensive, but does seem to do the trick for many ladies.

So my scan was good, even with the crappy ARGC scanners the doc was able to get some pretty decent measurements, and the little beans have actually had quite a growth spurt since Monday. And the little one today was only just behind. It's amazing how this little thing can make you so happy. I'm also realistic that things can change fast, and at these very early stages there can be ups and downs, but for today I am one happy lady.

Seeing I had already made the booking and I want to try the place out I am going ahead with our extra scan tomorrow at the Birth Company. If we are happy we may just change to them from now on like many ARGC ladies do for their scans. Mini thanks for the tip about ibaby - sounds exciting. You don't (as you know) even get a print out at ARGC so this all sounds very mod cons!

oxox

highlove Thu 21-Feb-13 18:22:00

Just a quickie: yay Sunny how fabulous x

KerryOnCamping Thu 21-Feb-13 18:22:04

Sunny, thank for your response, very kind. I have lurked here and am thrilled for you that your two babies are thriving, you must feel like the luckiest girl in the world. So pleased for you.

What other investigations would you suggest (I thought I'd had them all?) My consultant wants to see me in six weeks to discuss the findings from the lap & dye but I am toying with self-referring to the CARE clinic in Manchester for one round of IVF, which is all we can afford. Prior to this operation we were about to embark on three rounds of IUI but I now feel that would prove to be useless. Any thoughts on this?

wellerbabe Thu 21-Feb-13 19:09:10

sunny really pleased for you. DSB!!! grin

Hoophopes Thu 21-Feb-13 20:58:46

Hi Kerry - am unsure why the dr would not unblock the fallopian tube, as surely that will reduce attempts at natural fertility and definitely IUI. Agree I wouldn't waste time at 41 though.Only thought I had was I don't know when new NICE guidelines are to be implemented but they say now NHS funding until 42, so could you contact your PCT to see if you could get treatment on NHS for one attempt - think new guidelines allow NHS funding for 39-42 for 6 cycles of IUI and one IVF, that is if your area has any NHS funding at all for fertility treatments? Also CARE accept NHS funding!! Not a well known fact and depends whether your PCT is near the CARE but if it is then it may well do so. So I would phone your PCT and Care Manchester tomorrow to: - see if you can tap into NHS funding, to book a free open evening at CARE Manchester (anyway, useful source of free information!) and would get as many tests for free on NHS as possible whilst you decide!!

Sunny - great news!!

Lissy - thanks, that may be a helpful option, I will pm you!

sunnyg Fri 22-Feb-13 18:54:17

Kerry I think Hoops has some great advice for you there about investigating both your NHS and private options. If you find out there is a terribly long wait for NHS funding etc then you can always go and do a private cycle and then see if you need your NHS. Just check your pct guidelines carefully as some will then knock off a NHS round if you've had private. But hopefully not. Also look at the HFEA website about clinics and success rates and particularly for ladies above 40 which can vary hugely. In terms of other investigations other ones I can think of off the top of my head, which may or may not be useful but I think at the very least may give you a wider picture of what is going on include: AMH blood test, Immunes testing (may be hard to get on the NHS but worth investigation, these aren't cheap if you have to pay privately but can reveal a lot), and possibly ask about having a hyterscopy or 'scape' if you end up having IVF. This is really useful to cover a few things such as checking for fibroids and cyst, measuring your uterus for transfer and giving things are good 'clean out' down there. Also research has found it can aid implantation up to 40%. This is usually done just before an IVF or during the stimulation phase. I understand there is a good chance some/all of these may not be available on the NHS, but some things for you to think about and research and well if you don't ask you don't get so I'd say ask your consultant at the very least. I hope this helps a little.

Vallin how are you going on the bench? I hope remaining relatively calm.

AFM we had our Birth Company scan this afternoon and I was totally amazed! It was fantastic! So clear and the sonographer was lovely and spent ages explaining and showing us things. I am sold! So both are now nearly measuring the same size, both have good heat beats and both seem to be on track. I couldn't ask for more. And ibaby Mini, I am hooked!

Also saw my GP today who was lovely and totally supportive we had bi-passed our NHS go for ARGC. Actually her daughter is currently 24 weeks pregnant with twins from IVF! She said someone from the NHS would be in contact soon to probably arrange everything and my first NHS scan would probably be at about 12 weeks and then every 4 after. Apparently I also need to start thinking about hospitals! Wow, really already?! But I guess best to be prepared.

Sorry for long message. Hope everyone is well and happy weekend. Looks like it's going to be another cold one so stay warm all.

DSB oxo

MiniH Fri 22-Feb-13 19:35:02

sunny that is brilliant news,i am so pleased. Try not to watch the video all day grin

kerry welcome and I'm so sorry to hear about your difficulties. If one tube is clear you could still conceive on that side but it would reduce your odds which isn't helpful. I agree with others about seeing if you can get a second opinion on unblocking. Re IVF, you bypass the tubes so blockage doesn't matter but not sure about the endo, sorry, although I think some of the other ladies know more about this. You definitely need more answers and hopefully some of hoops suggestions will help with that.

We are off on our 'baby moon' next week so may be off line for a while but will try and check in on progress as much as possible.

Hugs to all and DSB xx

vallinnapod Sat 23-Feb-13 13:33:31

Totally convinced it is not going to work Sunny so not really going mad. I feel so different to my IVF cycle that I feel it can't possibly have worked. Which is stupid, I know.

Due to test next Friday...and am spending the weekend with my two pregnant best friends....

Never had a negative pregnancy test so no idea how I will feel confused

vallinnapod Sat 23-Feb-13 13:34:34

Should clarify, next weekend is with my two best friends who are pregnant...not my best friends because they are pregnant wink

vallinnapod Sat 23-Feb-13 13:52:38

Also - QQ. When is it feasible to test stupidly early if I had a day 5 blast put back on Weds?!

gingernutdreams Sun 24-Feb-13 22:33:17

Fab news Sunny about your scan with the birth company, and their fab technology, and great that the little ones are doing well and they littler one has caught up.

Yey also to Vall being PUPO, try not to panic too much and fingers and toes crossed for you for your test next Fri. Not sure how much earlier would give an accurate result....

Mini enjoy your babymoon!

Welcome Kerry and sorry to hear about your mmc and subsequent problems. I too would say get second opinions. I hope you get the answers you need. I am also at CARE Mcr and I think they are great (though have not yet been successful).

Hello to Pocket, Bugsy, Hoops, Italian, Highlove, Beginnings, Solars and all you other lovely ladies.

I have had a nice weekend with some old friends, having afternoon tea and champagne. It took my mind off all this for a while, so will have to do as Sunny suggests and keep my weekends busy whilst I wait for my immune test results.

DSB

sunnyg Mon 25-Feb-13 13:01:47

Thanks for all of your good wishes.

Mini have a fantastic baby moon.

Vall I was too convinced it hadn't worked and had zero symptoms but got the suprise of my life. So have everything crossed for you. I'm not sure when would be the earliest you can test sorry.

ginger sounds like you had a lovely weekend and glad to hear you are keeping busy. It really will help to pass the time.

DSB oxo

This thread is not accepting new messages.