TTC Super Ovulation part 3

(978 Posts)
Arianrhod Mon 08-Oct-12 08:30:07

Hey ladies -

There are a few of us who are ttc after mc's, however there will be ladies out there who are also ttc for the first time or second or third without success. If anyone is on, considering or had success on a super ovulation programme then do join us. How long did it take ? Did you try IUI with it.. ? Did you have PCOS?

Kicking this off and hoping some of you will join....

part 1 here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1385998-TTC-Super-Ovulation

Part 2 here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1475108-TTC-Super-Ovulation-part-2?pg=1

lemonsherbet Sun 02-Dec-12 10:30:37

ari sorry to hear that. How many SO cycles does Mr S recommend thought it was 6? Christmas is a tough time since it seems so children centred and for many of us significant anniversaries.

Arianrhod Sun 02-Dec-12 11:54:49

It was lemon but Mr S said since I am getting pregnant on SO (twice) I can carry on doing it.

Mel3062 Tue 04-Dec-12 06:15:45

Sorry to hear that ari sad x

brownstag Fri 07-Dec-12 20:09:13

Sorry, Ari.
Well, I got my new AMH results: a staggering 2.1!
Totally rubbish, of course, but there's always the possibility that the increase was due to DHEA, in which case it could increase more. I'm now on 4 months and isn't that how long it takes for new follicles to grow through?
ari, do you take selenium?
I suppose I'm just not ready to give up yet; my AMH results floored me at first but I've got up now and dusted myself off. I just keep moving the goalposts. Louise advised me to do more superovulation, and to get on with it.
How is everyone? It seems a bit quiet on here.

Mel3062 Sat 08-Dec-12 10:53:44

Going for my tnf alpha test Tuesday!! X brownstag good luck all we can do is brush ourself off and look forward!!

Breezyweezy Sat 08-Dec-12 21:08:35

Brown sorry to hear about your second AMH result, but good to see it has gone up. Only slightly I know, but it has to be a little encouraging. I too am wondering about having mine re-tested. I am popping in to pick up my next SO prescription on Monday so may ask Louise. After last time though, I think I would be scared that it has gone down even more, well as much as you can go down from 0.63!!

Still undecided about the DHEA (don't want acne and excess facial hair!!), though your result does encourage me. Realised that the stuff I have is not the micronised version (apparently only available online from the US) and Dr G was adamant that this was the one I should take. Is the one you are taking Brown, the micronised version? I have started on Co-q10 today after reading various threads on FF about it also being good for egg quality. Some have said their IVF clinics are advising them to take 600mg/day so I will try that and hope that is doesn't have any adverse effects! I also take Selenium (200μg) and Magnesium (250mg) as I read on the Pred thread that it helps with your lining - think it was Freelancegirl that said it and I believe Ari was on them too together with a whole load of other supplements!! And yep, Brown that was the advice I was given from Dr S and Louise too!

Mel good luck for the tnf alpha test. I had that last month and thank goodness it came back normal. The first test I have had back with a normal result for a while!!

Have a good weekend all.

Breezyweezy Sat 08-Dec-12 21:10:45

Ari forgot to say, sorry to hear that your 6th SO cycle was unsuccessful but glad to hear Mr S says you can carry on with it.

Mel3062 Sun 09-Dec-12 06:46:43

Thanks breezy weezy I'm not sure how I feel as mr s says people get pregnant after humira so I want that to happen even though the injections are expensive!! At least that would be another reason why it's not happening?! If that makes sense?! But yes a negative result would be good I guess ?! X

brownstag Sun 09-Dec-12 14:16:40

Good luck Mel.

BreezyWeezy, I've also just ordered selenium and magnesium, from my own researches. I'll look later to see if my DHEA is micronised. I haven't had any extra facial hair, even though I'm dark, and the acne is controllable with benzoyl peroxide. The benefits of good sleep, thicker hair and a feeling of mental well-being/ability to cope with more stress far outweigh the acne, or else I probably wouldn't take it.

I'm actually glad I had the AMH test now because I really do feel I know what the problem is now and what I've got to do. I used to think to myself, why would I get pregnant at 41 if I hadn't at 40, or 39? But now I do feel that I am more likely to get pregnant at 41, because of the DHEA. My AMH must have been non-existent for the last two years before I started it.

Ari, I know you've always wanted to avoid the test, but I would really think about it. I'm not going to waste my time and energy now on anything that isn't related to improving my AMH and egg quality. And essentially that boils down to 4 things: DHEA, coenzyme q10, selenium and magnesium.
Although I am in a different boat from you, as you do have recurrent miscarriage, so you have got more issues to cover.

If there's one benefit of secondary infertility, it's that it's cured my recurrent miscarriage problem! grin

brownstag Sun 09-Dec-12 14:23:36

P.S. Very interesting the discussion about the 'unfussy uterus' in recurrent miscarriage (was that on the other thread?) That certainly applies to my good friend LJ71. (Mine is the Womb of Supreme Fastidiousness, on the other hand.)

Arianrhod Mon 10-Dec-12 09:01:45

Hi ladies ... brown yes I do take selenium, it helps with a few things. Good to hear your AMH has crept up a bit, although I understand it's still not where you'd like it!

The DHEA I took was micronized, I read that's the best type to take. I did myself get more facial hair - I'm blonde, so fortunately it didn't really show to anyone other that me peering in the mirror!!, but definitely there - 'moustache' area, but also chin, eek! And it's gone since I stopped taking the DHEA, so that must have been the cause. Also the major hair loss that I was getting while taking it has stopped. I didn't get the better sleep (but I sleep well anyway) or extra energy levels that you got brown - I would say it sounds like it is definitely helping you, whereas I would say it didn't for me. I'm glad you feel more positive about having taken the test brown, but for me, I'm already taking 600mg Co-Q10, selenium, and every other supplement under the sun (except DHEA), so I couldn't do anything different (other than worry more) if my AMH is low, which of course it will be.

Yes it's on the pred thread, the discussion about the 'unfussy womb' syndrome, which is what I think I have. Doesn't help a great deal with the stress levels!! I don't seem to have an infertility issue (which is just as well, with the large number of other issues I do have!) but I think my body is too ready to accept any old pregnancy, at least initially.

I'm not doing SO this month, as I think I mentioned, due to the cost basically, and I'm honestly in two minds whether to start it up again. I know I'm getting double the chance of getting pregnant every month, which has to be a good thing ... but it's £335 a month, every month, and that's a heck of a lot of money for me. I just don't know if I can afford to keep going, to be honest. I may take a couple of months off, Dec and Jan (two paydays!), and then think again. I imagine I will start it again, just for the chance, but the ££ is hard sad

Good luck with the TNF alpha test Mel, I hope it comes back with the answer you want!

breezy Did Mr S not suggest taking Co-Q10 when you first saw him? He did to me, so I've been taking it ever since, although I only upped it to the level I'm on now (600mg) since reading about the benefits on the FF board some months back. Goodness knows if it's doing any good, but it certainly can't do any harm. Ditto with the resveratrol and pycnogenol - recommended by a lot of American REs, and it can't do any harm (except to my bank balance, ouch!) so I take those too.

/waves to everyone

brownstag Mon 10-Dec-12 12:40:10

That's interesting that Mr S recommended coenzyme q10. What dose did he suggest? I was taking 200mg from healthspan as they are gelatine free, but they're £24 for 60 tablets, which I've now upped to two a day, even though it should be 3 really, but I can't afford it.
Re. the DHEA, would you not consider 25mg or less a day? I'm just thinking of its help with prevention of 'ordinary' miscarriage and improving egg quality but without the side effects. I sometimes go down to 50mg for a bit to have a break from the outbreaks.
What I would be interested to know is how long DHEA continues to exert any benefit as no one seems to have done any long-term studies. If I take it for a year will my AMH still be rising? Could one artificially recreate a normal ovarian environment eventually? And of course there is the theoretical long-term risk of oestrogen-dependent cancers, although no one in my family has had anything like that.
What effects have you had from selenium? And do you take magnesium? At least the two of those supplements are relatively cheap!

brownstag Mon 10-Dec-12 12:40:43

Meant to say, since taking coenzyme q10 my luteal phase has been longer.

Arianrhod Mon 10-Dec-12 14:12:43

He didn't suggest a dose, just told me to take it, so I did my own research, unsurprisingly! DHEA - no, I don't think so, not without having my DHEA-S and testosterone levels monitored. It can do bad things, as well as good, and if I don't know what it's doing to me I don't want to be taking it, if you see what I mean. I have seen people saying they took it for 6 months before having success - but no way of knowing whether that was down to the DHEA or not, I guess. I don't know about long-term use - but again, if you're being monitored it should be fine, I would think?

Magnesium I don't take separately, but my super-multivit contains 60mg magnesium already. No effects at all from the selenium, that I can tell; I've been taking it since March this year.

Arianrhod Mon 10-Dec-12 14:14:30

Interesting about your LP brown; it had no effect on mine, which is a constant 13 days. Agnus castus didn't have any effect on that either, but I know it did have some effect because for the two months I haven't been taking it I haven't felt ovulation pains at all (and I usually do feel them in spades!). Plus usually on AC my bbs hurt like heck in the lead-up to AF; for the past two months, only a little. I've started taking it again for the moment until I decide what I'm doing with SO.

Mel3062 Tue 11-Dec-12 12:33:58

Thanks ladies tnf test done left at 3.40 am and still 10 minutes late for 9am appt!! I'm not sure what is the right result all I want is a baby sad xx I know what you mean about expense today's cost about £570 sad

lemonsherbet Thu 13-Dec-12 09:26:22

Ari have you seen the new pregacare max they contain activated folate in them. Admittedly they are not keep approx 20 pounds per a month supply. I know you like to make up your own cocktail but thought I would point it out to you.

Brown sorry about the AMH result but at least it has improved slightly and people with lower have had success on this thread.

Mel I know what you mean about the expense of blood tests, was a bit like that with AMH and it was still cheaper than the TNF blood test.

Waves to breezy hol and anyone else who is lurking.

Arianrhod Thu 13-Dec-12 10:32:04

Hey lemon ... that's interesting that they've done that with pregnacare, good on them. Maybe they're understanding finally that folate is needed for all sorts of things in pregnancy, better than folic acid.

/waves to everyone

Arianrhod Fri 21-Dec-12 10:32:00

All very quiet in here at the moment ... anyone still doing SO, in the 2WW, waiting for follie scan, or like me, just taking a bit of a break for a month or so? (financially-induced, in my case!)

And in case any are on here and not also on the Pred thread ... may your Christmas be jolly, may Santa bring you a ray of hope in your Christmas stocking, and may your 2013 be a damn sight better than your 2012, if 2012 wasn't a good one for you! grin

Mel3062 Fri 21-Dec-12 18:48:35

Same to you ari I'm just waiting for my tnf results xx

Pebbles73 Sat 22-Dec-12 13:40:08

Hello all just wanted to pop in to wish everyone a very lovely Christmas and hoping that your dreams come true in 2013, you all so deserve it. smile
Just been trying to catch up on all the news on here as not lurked for a while, sorry to see there have been no pregnancies on the super ov and sorry for your amh results Brown. I see you are taking a break .Ari like myself, although I am considering taking letrezole and just trying without the ovitrelle and scan. Having said that I have enjoyed not taking any drugs and being off the ttc wagon. Do you think you will do more super ov after Xmas?
Mel good luck with the tnf- alpha results, Mr S has my results but can't afford to go and see him at the mo as need all money for our hols. The result has obviously come back as high as Cheryl said she could only give me results by email if the result was low and came back saying I needed to make an appointment. So looks like humira for me, the cost of that on top of ivf is worrying to say the least. hmm

After last Christmas when I was just going through the end of my miscarriage I have found it hard this year and can't say I feel very festive. I think some of you have had miscarriages around Christmas so hope you are all holding up.

Anyway big waves to you all.xx

Mel3062 Sat 22-Dec-12 19:44:51

Aw pebbles I don't know if a high result meaning you can then have humira is good or bad! Bad as in cost I know! Ill email Louise as I need to know if I need to book a train and itl be 2 weeks on Xmas day that I had it done.
My baby would've been due Xmas day so not feeling festive either, not even got tree up yet as had a virus all week sad
Happy Xmas though ladies and here's to a better new year xxx

Pebbles73 Sun 23-Dec-12 09:09:59

That's exactly how I feel Mel but then you always get that bit of hope that it will be the answer. Felt like that about taking steroids for high nkc 's but all that did for me was another chemical pregnancy....

So sorry to hear you were due Xmas day, you must be feeling pretty crap and wanting to ignore Christmas completely. Sending you big hugs.x

Arianrhod Mon 24-Dec-12 08:51:44

pebbles At least they may have found something that is an answer for you - I do hear you about the cost though sad.

Mel Sorry to hear about your impending would-have-been date, it really does cast a damper on things. The last two Christmasses I was going through a miscarriage, this Christmas there is no sign of anything.

pebbles I don't know if I will carry on with SO after this 'break' month. OH doesn't appear at all interested in us having a baby, not that he's ever shown a great deal of interest, and I feel like not only am I banging my head against the age brick wall, I'm the only person in this relationship who actually wants a baby. Why throw away £335 every month just to try to do something alone? I'm really not sure, but it's not looking likely. What are you plans, are you lining up more IVF?

/waves to everyone

brownstag Mon 24-Dec-12 10:20:06

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone. I haven't been on here for a while but am oddly feeling quite positive about 2013. Big hugs to everyone. I really know how you feel, ari. My OH (who is currently in bed with Norovirus, poor thing) now considers the whole thing at an end ever since I told him my AMH results.
Pebbles, I know the result means a hideous extra cost, but personally, knowing what my problem is has brought me some kind of peace of mind and you might find the same after a while. I don't feel I'm forever searching any more.
Well, I've got a pre-op assessment for my lap and dye on 28th Dec, so that if a space becomes available on either the 3rd or 10th Jan I can have it then. But only if there's a cancellation. And assuming the whole hospital isn't closed down with winter vomiting bug. Then got app with Mr S on 28th Jan.
May we all win the lottery this Christmas and sort out the whole financial burden of all this treatment! Perhaps we should start a syndicate ;) xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now