mid 30s, TTC #1, 2 years so far, fed up. anyone else?

(1000 Posts)
CaipirinhasAllRound Fri 13-Jan-12 18:51:14

Just wondering how many of us there are in the same boat

LesleyKnope Tue 29-Jan-13 12:38:54

Woo hoo! Go caprihnas!! Great count & fertlisation rate - I'm willing those little embryos to do their magic for you & to keep you waiting till Saturday as there will be so many good ones!
notnow love your Jedi mind tricks ;) if u work out how to keep it going beyond a couple of days pls let me know!
brightside Michael Jackson killer drugs?! Nice bedtime manner Mr Anaestheticist! That's hilarious!
Xxx

LesleyKnope Tue 29-Jan-13 12:44:27

Sorry I meant caipirinhas - I'm a total spelling numpty as I never seem to get that right - sorry!

missbrightside Tue 29-Jan-13 14:08:50

Lucky number 7 !!

xx

Bearface Tue 29-Jan-13 16:27:17

Hi Seaview and Edinburgh.

That's great news Caipirinhas! Kepping everything crossed for you for the next stage (even though I don't know what it is).

Hi everyone else. Hope all is okay and we're merry in our grumbly little worlds. grin

Dreamy33 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:42:25

Hi everyone.

Really great news caipirinhas. I'll keep everything crossed that this good news keeps coming!

This thread always keeps me entertained, so thank you ladies. It's a pain that we're all in this frustrating place but it's so comforting to know that I'm not the only one thinking and feeling these things!

Quick question - I've been doing some research online about HSGs as I'm due to have mine in the next few weeks and have been really frightened by what I've read. Have any of you got any stories to share (good or bad!)?

CaipirinhasAllRound Tue 29-Jan-13 20:59:57

Hi dreamy

Is an HSG when they pray your tubes? If so, I had one and it was absolutely fine. It was just like having a smear test and didn't hurt at all

I baked a big fat chocolate cake today, and despite only having had 1 piece (so far!) I am so bloated! I have drunk so much squash though and was warned the follicles can fill with liquid. Am also having to shove pessaries up my bum, nice.

Thanks everyone for the woops! Fingers crossed we can get this elusive pregnancy ball finally rolling

Xx

CaipirinhasAllRound Tue 29-Jan-13 21:00:59

Pray is meant to read xray

LostAndScared Tue 29-Jan-13 21:02:59

i have just had the news i am going to need fertility treatment, i am only 21 years old, i was just wondering what is the best methods of fertility treatment or the less invasive ones, any advice would be very much appreciated

Pomatron Tue 29-Jan-13 21:20:03

caipirinhas that's such great news, I'm sure you will be the first get that elusive pregnancy. Keeping everything crossed for you.
lost and scared welcome but sorry you are here. If you don't mind me asking why have they told you that you need fertility treatment?
Xx

LostAndScared Tue 29-Jan-13 21:31:47

my doctor said that, my hormones are not balanced and i have frequent spells with no periods at all, the longest period without anything was 10months which was why it was decided to put me on provera tablets which kick started everything for me, i was only given one course of tablets but since then my periods have been 1 per month , miss a month , 1per month , 1 per month then miss a month, i also have endametriosis (sorry for spelling)...... xx

Dreamy33 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:33:36

Thanks for reply Caiphirinas. Yes HSG is the xray which I thought would be bearable (a case of lie back and think of something lovely!) but some of the experiences I read online were utterly horrific! I was planning to drive myself there and back but a few of the ladies claim that it would be impossible to drive afterwards because they felt so uncomfortable. I'm a born-worrier and always plan for the worst-case scenario so just planning! (My DH recently gave me a copy of a book called 'The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Guide' which is a really funny read but may have just fuelled my already-healthy imagination!).

Dreamy33 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:36:10

Sorry, I meant caipirinhas.

seaviewasia Wed 30-Jan-13 09:41:51

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies.

CaipirinhasAllRound - is this your 1st IVF? Wow! 7 fertilised eggs is great news. I hope it works! Lots of luck!!!!!

Dreamy - don't worry at all about the HSG. There is nothing to it at all. I have had one and I didn't feel anything at all. I am sure you will be fine.

I'm off to a scan this morning to see how my follies are doing post Clomid in prep for IUI. Fingers crossed everything is as it should be.

Hello to all other ladies!

CaipirinhasAllRound Wed 30-Jan-13 10:16:34

seaview good luck this morning. it's the first time I've got this far, had to abandon the last attempt after down revving due to cysts. if your follies are good, then what happens?

anyone who's done IVF - how did you feel after EC? I'm so uncomfortably bloated at the moment. I'm having to insert the progesterone pressures rectally until ET and they said they can make you need the loo but mine seem to be bunging me up if anything. Nasty little waxy bullets.... Am so glad I'm not at work, means I am still in my pjs, feeling fat and watching Homes under the Hammer.

By the way, the cake I made yesterday was a Brooklyn Blackout choc cake from the Hummingbird book. Don't bother. The filling/topping is a chocolate custard and it makes the whole cake taste like the kind of cheap crappy choc sponge and custard I had as a child for school dinners - total waste of calories

LesleyKnope Wed 30-Jan-13 14:43:54

I found HSG fine too - like a smear, longer & slightly more uncomfortable but that was all.
Caiprinhas after my first ivf I swear I looked about 5 months pregnant! Really bloated & uncomfortable. It did pass though, just drink loads of water & rest. But if you're in pain you should call your Dr.
Those waxy tablets are gross - I only found out about them after EC & I'm glad they hadn't warned me as it would have put me off!!
Found out an old work colleague has just had her second baby. She was about 8 weeks ahead of me with her first 3 years ago - she now has two & I still have fat zero. Friggin unreal. How can we put ourselves through so much, spend so much & still have no baby?!?! Grrrr.....

seaviewasia Wed 30-Jan-13 15:49:12

CaipirinhasAllRound - I haven't had IVF but I have many close friends who has and I know it to be quite normal to be bloated after EC. I hope it subsides soon. How long do you have to use the progesterone pessaries for? Take it easy and rest lots! Yes follies seem to be growing on one side and in the next couple days they will get a sperm sample from DH, "clean" it and insert into the womb.

Ladies! I really need some advice. I am an AC newbie and this is my 1st IUI. I went for my scan today and although follies are growing away on my right side and they said I should be ready for the IUI in the next 2 days, a few things they said did concern me.

1) They couldn't see anything on my left side at all. In fact she had the dildo cam in for ages moving it around a lot to try to see something. She then told the student doctor (not me!) that this is very unusually for someone who had a clean lap as you would expect to see follies on both sides. What does this mean? She did ask me when I had the lap done - and I answer it was almost 2 years ago. She didn't seem to want to talk about it... What do you suggest I do? Shall I ask insist on an answer? I find doctors sometimes are not that keen on answering questions if you are not from a medical background.

2) She told me that my womb is sharply tilted. What does that mean?

3) She didn't tell me anything about the number or size of follies or lining. I wanted to ask but felt somewhat rushed... Should I ask?

Sorry if I sound ridiculous but I was just a bit thrown by her not being able to find ovaries on the left so didn't quite know what / how to ask. Also, now that I think about it... I went from having regular 28 day periods all my life to now - 1 cycle 28 day cycle and the next more than 30 days and then back to 28 days the next? Could this be something to do with my left ovulating late? Are you meant to be able to see follies on both sides after being stimulated? Help?!

Would be really grateful if someone can answer my questions!

notnowImreading Wed 30-Jan-13 19:25:55

Sorry Seaview (have read your name properly this time) but don't know the answers to your questions. Except, very unscientifically, my mum has a sharply tilted uterus and she swears blind that doing it doggy-style sorted out her long search for the BFP because the angle meant the sperm had better access. It's more information than I ever wanted from my mum, but probably it won't disturb you as much as it did me.

I've just had my bloods back. HIV and Hep B/C negative, I'm glad to say. AMH was bang on average, which was a huge surprise as my FSH is quite elevated so I was expecting a low ovarian reserve. The main finding was that my NK cells are slightly raised and cytokines significantly raised, so I will need a course of humira injections first, then prednisolone, intralipids and clexane once we get to the IVF. Is that the same as you had, Brightside?

I didn't get a good explanation of the results from the nurse, but have been googling and it sounds as though it means that I'm allergic to being pregnant - would explain the mcs, I guess.

Are any of you taking vitamin supplements? I've been trying to find out about them and come up with a combination that will help but not come in a horse-pill-sized tablet. It looks as though vit B and vit D are the ones we want, so have just had a berocca (disgusting - like salty fanta) and some fish oil. Mmmm! Interested in your views on this. I wonder whether I'm just buying really expensive wee.

Keep thinking about you during the day, Caipirinhas - enjoy your sofa time. It's going to be you, I can feel it in my water (or maybe that's the berocca).

Chin up, all.

LesleyKnope Thu 31-Jan-13 04:07:04

seaview I'd call your clinic & ask to speak to the nurse for more info (and keep pen & paper at ready as if you're like me all the info can get a bit overwhelming!). Try not to worry too much though. I have a 'shy' ovary - the nurses can never find it with dildo cam, but proper radiologist can, usually by pressing down on my tummy to move bowel out the way (noice!!)
notnow laughed out loud hearing about your mum getting busy with it doggy style! I currently take a multi v (bit sporadically though) but have had phases of taking loads, and may go back on extra b vits & coq10 as prep for next IVF. Never really felt much different though. Good news on your bloods! My last clinic didn't use prednisilone etc for those results but my new place does so I guess we'll see. I suspect I have a hyper immune system as I never get sick and so think suppressing my immune system might help next time. When might u start IVF?
Hope you're feeling bit better today caipirinhas - are u still on track for Saturday transfer?

CaipirinhasAllRound Thu 31-Jan-13 09:46:04

Woohoo - we still have all 7 eggs/embies! She said they look for them to be 6-8 cells at this stage and ours are all 7-8
Feeling massively relieved although there are obviously still loads of hurdles and we've got to hope they've still ok on Saturday.
We're booked in for midday Saturday
Xx

LesleyKnope Thu 31-Jan-13 13:44:43

Woo hoo - go caipirinhas!!! You two must have mega genes - I've only had one decent one on day 3 so sounds like you're going brilliantly!! Xx

notnowImreading Thu 31-Jan-13 18:28:12

That's fantastic! Sounds like a really good sign.

notnowImreading Sat 02-Feb-13 12:28:01

Thinking of you today Caipirinhas - hope it goes very smoothly.

CaipirinhasAllRound Sat 02-Feb-13 13:13:17

Thanks notnow
I now have a little embryo on board. We had to discuss whether to go ahead or freeze them all and do a frozen cycle as I've got a degree of OHSS - ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome - so am full of fluid and it might get worse but I decided to go ahead and risk that rather than put it off. Nothing to say it wouldn't happen with a frozen cycle anyway

We still had all 7 embryos. They recommended putting 1 back in as I'm under 38 and 4 are being frozen, with the other 2 being checked again tomorrow

Now settled back in the settee with tea and cake!

LesleyKnope Sat 02-Feb-13 16:22:01

That all sounds wonderful caipirinhas - you are now PUPO!! Take it easy & keep us posted!

missbrightside Sun 03-Feb-13 09:07:05

Hello girls

Caipirinhas That's fantastic news - and with some to freeze ! (But sorry about the OHSS. Not nice). Make sure you make the most of taking it easy. Hopefully you have got some time off work to waste on crap television ! Home under the hammer has got to be done .....

Not Now I strangely thought of you yesterday as I steam cleaned my oven hood ! I can report that it almost 'melted' the grease on it !

Yes - I had the predisolone, intralipids and clexane. Although I am having the immune tests run again (thank goodness for the 0% credit card !) as although I had the NK (plus some other tests) done - I didn't have the Cykotines test (which I believe the humeira is prescribed for). I'm really hoping that I won't need humeira as well now that I've found out how much it costs shockshock but will obviously take it if I'm told to .....

Lesley I've also had phases of taking LOADS of supplements - but not convinced any of them did anything .... ! (actually - one did do something - it made me come out in an all over rash !) I now just take a Pregnacare tablet and an Omega supplement. Hope it's not too hot where you are !!

Hello to everyone else. Sorry for lack of personals !

We've now started our monitoring cycle at ARGC. They monitor you over a natural cycle to see what you do 'naturally'. DP has had a sperm DNA fragmentation test - and I'll be having the immunes repeated - and once all the results are together they will tell you what they suggest from there ... So the madness begins again ... !

Right - quite boringly have go to think about going shopping (food shopping not fun shopping ...... !!)

Have a good day all xx

This thread is not accepting new messages.